Optimum distribution of OS and program files over multiple..

I would like some wisdom from those who know what the best way to install XP
over multiple spindles is.
ie. how to distribute OS files, paging file, program files, and data over
multiple drives, and whether putting said bits on different spindles actually
produces tangible benefits.

I have 3 IDEs (2 sharing a channel, 1 on other channel) and a SATA drive,
and would like to apply any suggested model to our clients requiring top end
performance workstations..

Cheers and thanks for input.
Bruce.
2 answers Last reply
More about optimum distribution program files multiple

    "bruced" <bruced@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I would like some wisdom from those who know what the best way to install
    XP
    > over multiple spindles is.
    > ie. how to distribute OS files, paging file, program files, and data over
    > multiple drives, and whether putting said bits on different spindles
    actually
    > produces tangible benefits.
    >
    > I have 3 IDEs (2 sharing a channel, 1 on other channel) and a SATA drive,
    > and would like to apply any suggested model to our clients requiring top
    end
    > performance workstations..
    >
    > Cheers and thanks for input.
    > Bruce.
    After you have advised them to buy the computer with the fastest CPU, ample
    RAM, and 10000 rpm disk drives, you can worry about this subject.

    I am not certain that the OS files can be distributed. It is customary to
    put the secondary page file on a separate disk, but whether this really
    helps or not depends on the specific case.
    The only hazard with putting the program files on a separate disk is that
    then you are depending on two (or more) disks to be operational for
    successful use of the computer/

    How about trying these techniques on your own computer first?

    Jim

    bruced <bruced@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I would like some wisdom from those who know what the best way to install XP
    >over multiple spindles is.
    >ie. how to distribute OS files, paging file, program files, and data over
    >multiple drives, and whether putting said bits on different spindles actually
    >produces tangible benefits.
    >
    >I have 3 IDEs (2 sharing a channel, 1 on other channel) and a SATA drive,
    >and would like to apply any suggested model to our clients requiring top end
    >performance workstations..
    >
    >Cheers and thanks for input.
    >Bruce.

    Windows XP is designed to operate with the system files on one drive,
    with the %windir%, %winbootdir%, and %systemroot% variables all
    pointing to the same place. Although it would seem possible to have
    each of these 3 items as a different drive/folder you would first have
    to determine which files were being referenced via each these
    variables and not just by Windows but by device drivers and
    application programs as well so as to ensure proper placement of these
    files.

    It does make some sense to have the Program Files and the user data
    files on different drives, but I do not have any benchmark test
    results to show what differences this might achieve.

    As of the paging file, the ultimate answer is to have sufficient RAM
    so as to eliminate the need to relocate active memory content from RAM
    to the paging file. Failing this, with multiple drives it is
    advisable to have multiple paging files, one on each physical drive,
    and let Windows choose which specific file is the optimal one for any
    given paging option.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --