AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (333 fsb) + amd cert heatsink/fan
512 pc 2700 ddr (333)
cd rw
cd drive
2 x hdd
SB Live! Player s/c
ATI Radeon 9700 pro.
(old)300 watt psu

Upon installation the system didnt post, but gave 1 long beep and 2 short beeps. Everything seems to be working, just no monitor display. A little diggin educated me that this was a graphics card related problem. Now i know that the 9700 has issues with 8x and this mobo, but i know people on here that are running it, so i thought maybe it could be a psu problem? 1 person told me that the lack of power could be causing the card not to display properly, but i tried it with an old tnt2 and its working fine. I know the 9700 would be putting a bit of a strain on the psu, but could it be responsible for making it unbootable?
p.s i tried unpluggin everything cept the main hdd and the gfx card, stil no luck.

Comments/ideas much appreciated in advance, cheers guys.

Have you tried unplugging everything you don't need for a basic boot-up, and see if that works? If it does, then chances are it is the PSU that needs upgrading.

Barton 2500+, 512MB Corsair Platinum XMS 3200 CL2, Radeon 9700, WD Raptor 10,000 rpm S-ATA HDD, Asus A7V600, Enermax 460W SilentPlus PSU.

RobD

Champion
I'd go with Wingding's advice, unplug all the otehr devices everything except the primary HD and see if that boots. Chances are it will. Also, what brand is your PSU? Is it a generic? Voltages levels on those can be all over the shop at times.

<font color=blue>"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I'm very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that" - Bill Shankly</font color=blue>

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
What Ampes does it have across 12V. On older PSUs they only were rated to ~9A.

Check the side of you PSU and see what the listed 12V rating is. If my questimate of your situation is correct then your CPU is not getting enough juice let alone the rest of your system on +12V.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com//modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=7" target="_new">Check out the new Case Mod and PSU section of the THGC</A>