Anima

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2003
Alrighty, I read the Aspire X-Alien case review, and have to know: can anyone share their experiences with the 500W PSU mentioned in the article? I'm looking to replace my 350W Codegen PSU, which is causing me endless headaches at the moment. It certainly looks nifty, but if the performance is so-so, I'll go look at a plainer box of the same price for better quality.
Thanks!

Anima

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've only seen one user in the forum, and his was problematic.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

dstell

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
I think, but don't quote me on this... we have in fact received this power supply for review and it will be in the next power supply round up that is coming soon.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Codegens are crappy.
Ive seen multiple ones bit the dust or just fail to work at all.

And you should really buy a seperate PSU. Then you KNOW you are gettings something good.

If you get a new case later you can allways tell them to ship it minus a PSU.

<b>I am not a AMD fanboy.
I am not a Via fanboy.
I am not a ATI fanboy.
I AM a performance fanboy.
And a low price fanboy. :smile:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

Anima

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2003
I would've been ready to agree with you about the Codegen until I installed the new Aspire 500W Turbo case PSU. Sadly, even with this new monster powering my rig, I'm having the exact same problems with random reboots, devices failing to detect, etc. So my poor little Codegen wasn't at fault after all...(though I'm not ruling it out for causing other problems.)
There were a few problems with the new PSU. Firstly, the PCB was not anchored in any way, to the shell itself. I had to invert the unit to install it in my case, and the heatsinks clunked against the acrylic shell. Wtf?! I wrote Aspire to tell them about the problem, and they've assured me the next shipment of PSU's has been fixed.
The thumbscrew holes were not terribly well positioned, though I finally did manage to get all of them screwed in.
I could wish that the see-through shell they used was UV-reactive, and I could wish they'd given the blue PSU's model blue molex connectors instead of flourescent green, but I'm happy overall with the unit.

rkshack

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2003
Most of the complaints related to the psu seem to be the installation. Doesn't it come installed when you buy the case. Where can you buy the case without the fan. How are the voltages with the powersupply?