Kingston Reveals SSDNow V100 for Mainstream

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruffopurititiwang

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
It will take a long time before SSDs catch up with the $/GB of a hard drive. That may not even happen at all. Hard drives did not catch up to the $/GB of tape. That doesn't mean tape drives are a better buy just because $/GB is cheaper. Tape just took on a different function: as a backup media.

I believe HDDs are well suited for media STORAGE and SSDs are best viewed as a PERFORMANCE upgrade. If you're buying an SSD for media storage at today's price, you're doing it wrong. I mean, do you need 250MB/s transfer speed for your pr0n? Buy an SSD for your OS and programs and be amazed by how responsive your computer will become.

Bottom line: It's a performance upgrade; not a storage device.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]eaw2539[/nom]Those prices look pretty decent. I'll have to jump into the world of ssd's soon.[/citation]

I agree, I have a feeling this time next year will finally be time to buy. Plus I'm sure new firmware/logic board upgrades will happen between now and then making it an even better deal.

[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]until SSD's can reach 500GB at a reasonable $100 tag, I just won't care for SSD's.[/citation]
You must have no idea how fast they are and how quickly they can allow your PC to respond/load. They are worth more simply for the added speed they offer. These things fix the biggest bottle neck in computers. Personally I can't wait to get one and see my OS to load in 2 seconds and to load a game like starcraft 2 onto it. No more slow loading, just instant gaming! I would be happy to get a 64GB for $80. When that happens I will buy one of these speedy drives!

Status
Not open for further replies.