Sign in with
Your question
Closed

did I just blow up my computer and $3000!?!?!??!?!

Last response: in Components
October 20, 2003 9:42:57 AM

okok i'm trying to remain calm here.
Today, I stupidly flicked the switch at the back of the power supply from 230 to 115 volts not knowing what it was at the time. I turned my computer on and it then turned off. The PSU made a small noise but no smoke or anything came out. The computer doesnt turn on at all anymore. The components didn't look damaged or anything. I tested the RAM on my other computer and it works perfectly. What about the rest of my computer??? Could the motherboard be dead and the CPU and video card???
I have a P4P800 deluxe mobo, P4 3ghz and 128 mg 9800 pro with 1gb ram. I bought it a week ago and this problem is not covered in warranty. Have I lost my computer for ever? PLEASE help i'm freakin out! It cost $3000 Australian dollars!

More about : blow computer 3000

October 20, 2003 3:23:15 PM

Sounds like you have just blown the fuse inside your PSU.

I did this once with an AT PSU and had to solder in a new fuse.

I'm not sure if new ATX PSUs have an internal fuse or not, but I would have though they would have.

Please note, changing the fuse yourself will undoubtedly invalidate your computers warrenty so get a qualified person to do this if that is a problem.

Hope this helps
srg

P.S If this is all the problem is then put this one down to experience

Windows XP Works on a K5 PR133 (100MHz) with 80MB RAM!!!!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by srg on 10/20/03 11:27 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
October 21, 2003 3:43:38 AM

ouch. Your not the first to do this.
Its a great way to destroy your PC anyway.

With luck the only thing thats died is the PSU.
I assume when you tried it again it was set back at 230V?

YOu probably need a new power supply now.
With some luck nothing was seriously damaged as it sounded like a fuse blowing in the PSU... a safeguard to protect the rest of the PC. (and yourself)

<b>I am not a AMD fanboy.
I am not a Via fanboy.
I am not a ATI fanboy.
I AM a performance fanboy.
And a low price fanboy. :smile:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>
Related resources
November 4, 2010 5:32:23 AM

lol awesum i blew up my psu once went sprky!! but sicnce you said that it hasnt given any sparks check the fuse in the plug and the psu and replace if nessay and if thats not good well check this psu and go get a new one and some one please close this thread itz been in active for six mnths already thnk that guy just went to the goddamn comp shop and got it fixd and nvr botherd to say a thank you for us helping him out!!
November 4, 2010 7:41:48 AM

I did this and nearly took off my eyebrows.
@Vada, well done for reviving a seven year old thread though. :) 
a b ) Power supply
November 4, 2010 8:18:24 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!