Horror Story for Halloween

Patchworkblue

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2003
The following is a true story, happened about a month ago:

It was a bright, sunny day, not a cloud in the sky, but as soon as I entered the building, I knew something was wrong. I am a resident manager for a small complex in the Valley, and one of my tenants has a history of setting fire to her kitchen. I immediately ran to her apartment when I caught the whiff of smoke. Imagine my horror when the smoke stopped before I got to her apartment...right in front of mine. I quickly opened the door, and realized the smoke was not coming from my kitchen. I crept into the living room, and was shocked beyond reason when I realized that my computer HAD CAUGHT FIRE. I don't mean the power supply blew up; the CPU fan itself was a molten ball of plastic and wires. To this day, I don't know if the fan came unclipped and then the computer caught fire, or if the fire caused the fan to melt off. Here's the kicker: my power supply was UNDAMAGED. No scorch marks whatsoever. The fire seemed to have been localized around the CPU itself. My only possible guess is that maybe the fan came unclipped, and then the rapidly increasing heat ignited a dust bunny that was too close. (I am a BFDA licensed dust bunny breeder, and PC cases are optimum breeding grounds.) Anyways, I lost the mobo, the cpu, the ram, and one of my two HDs. Still got that PSU, though. Who wants it?

Women--can't live with them, can't have heterosexual same-species intercourse without them.

Patchworkblue

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2003
The fire was out by the time I showed up, but there were actual scorch marks on the interior of the case, the heatsink, and the cpu. Most of the fins on the heatsink were black.

Women--can't live with them, can't have heterosexual same-species intercourse without them.

G

Captain Obvious says fan failure maybe, with lack of thermal shutdown!?

Heat from the heatsink melts and burns the plastic fan.

<b><font color=red>Captain Obvious To The Rescue!!!</font color=red></b>