Sign in with
Your question

case review and best case

Last response: in Components
October 21, 2003 7:38:09 PM

I have looked at the spring and summer case review from toms hardware. They seem to not overlap. Does that mean that the boards recommended from the spring are still recommended or are they replaced by the recommendations from the summer. Also could you all give my your recs for the best case. I am building a computer with p4 3.2, asus mobo, 512 or 1 gb ram etc.

More about : case review case

October 22, 2003 3:39:17 AM

What kind of case do you want?

How much money do you want to spend?

What material and construction do you want?

Also, just wondering what you mean by they don't over lap?
October 22, 2003 3:59:14 AM

I want a mid to full tower. 3-5 ext drive bays, at least 4 int drive bays, good cooling. Don't care about weight because I won't be moving it. Want good quality construction. Can spend at most 200 but cheaper is better. What I ment by overlap is that the spring review recomended 2 cases. The summer 2 different cases. Are the summer picks better than the spring. Or are the spring cases just not mentioned in the summer review and therefore not eligible for being an editors choice in that review.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 23, 2003 7:35:22 PM

We pick editors choices when availaible in each case review. All of them should be viewed as the best cases in that review. If you are asking what is the best case over all out of the ones that we have reviewed, then that would be a tougher question.

Three cases in my mind stand out over the others that we have reviewed -

Coolermaster Praetorian PAC-T01 is the same as the ATCS-Tek - MRO-16 - ATCS Tek has be re-intergrated back into Coolermaster and now all of the ATCS cases will be marketed under the Coolermaster brand. The PAC-T01 is one of my favs, no door which gets in the way for me, nice window, and excellent Aluminum construction. No front mounted 1394 port which is a bummer however, I got a around this by using the Atech Pro-9 Multiformat flash card reader/writer that has a front mounted port on that device. Good air flow and attractive case in a very afforable package, now that Coolermaster has reduced the price.

The Kingwin KT-424-BK-WM is an excellent case as well! Aluminum construction. This is another winner in my book! Nice jet black finish good quality and construction. Nice air flow. It does have a cheap door covering the front mounted ports which I am not happy with, but it has proved to be durable, so I should not continue to complain about the door as much as I do. Excellent case and I liked it so much it was the case I choose to use when doing the UV PC article.

The Xpider/Gaming Bomb by Chenbro is another great case. While it might take a bit of configuration to get it the way that you want it, the 120mm fan in the back and the 92mm fan in the front provide for some of the best air flow in all of the cases that we have tested. It is attractive with a good design at a very affordable.

Right now, these are the three that I like the most.

We have several new cases that I am reviewing right now that may in fact earn as spot on this list, but we will have to wait till the upcoming fall case review to see what happens.

I hope this helps. - Thanks!
October 23, 2003 8:29:17 PM

Have you ever reviewd cases from AMS (American Media Systems) ? I'm very interested in their gTower case (on which THG made an article) but their is no review of it.
The few items I would like to know about it (if you can help) is how good (in your opinion) is this case as well as cooling performance.
Also I noticed that on this case, it might be difficult to include a dual fan PSU. Is that correct ? What type of PSU would you recommend in this case ?
Thanks a lot for any input you might have.
October 24, 2003 1:23:20 AM

I have never received an offer to review this case.

I beleive that we have reviewed the Super Flower which is very close to this case, in fact it might be built by them.
October 24, 2003 2:33:10 AM

Indeed.
Comparing the gTower to my superflower case there are remarkable similarities,
facia, butons, drive bay covers, drive bay design, removeable bottom bay using the same screw in mechanism, just with less fans than usual.

And i know that superflower are sold as quite a few different brands,
superflower (SE asia)
Atlas (Australia)
Dynatron (USA?)
Kingwin (USA & England?)

<b>I am not a AMD fanboy.
I am not a Via fanboy.
I am not a ATI fanboy.
I AM a performance fanboy.
And a low price fanboy. :smile:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>
October 24, 2003 6:57:52 PM

Well the only thing that bothers me with the gTower is that, if you take a closer look at some pictures of it, you can see that for dual fans PSU, the fan (not the one that blows the air out of the Case) might get partially obstructed. I just wanted to see if that was true or not or if that could create a problem...
October 31, 2003 7:58:49 PM

yes it is. The gTower is the CF-1006. Do you have/know it ?
November 8, 2003 4:31:04 AM

Hey the PAC-T01 now has a front firewire. Does this connect directly to my motherboard? I am trying to decide between the praetorian vs the superalien. The alien is $20 cheaper without power supply. I decided against the xpider and kingwin for lack of front firewire or having a pass through firewire. I was going to add a fortron power supply to either set up. Which would you go with and why?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rkshack on 11/08/03 11:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 16, 2003 6:57:33 AM

I just bought the Lian-Li PC-6077 a real nice constructed case of brushed aluminum, has a very mobile front options, with a 3 bay 3 1/2 case that is fan cooled with two removable filters. Has 2 usb, a firewire port and sound connections in front. the mother board tray is a nice slide out and they have a built in front for a floppy if your still using one so it blends right into the case. The CD drive has a hidden door so your DVD/CDRW is also "hidden behind a aluminum door. The mother board tray comes with a 80mm ball bearing fan and a place for another one next to it. The fans are fairly quiet and with my antec power supply it doesn't make much noise at all. there is also a 80mm ball bearing fan on the top of the case and on the bottom a filtered air vent for cooling air to be drawn into the case. You may want to check this case out.

when all is said and done, what you've done for your neighbor is most important
November 16, 2003 8:06:38 AM

You guys usually get the latest case designs for review, but some of us like traditional cases. What's your opinion of the old style Enlight and Inwin cases? Don't tell me you haven't reviewed one, give me a personal opinion because these cases are so common I'm fairly certain you've had experience with them!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!