I have windows Xp and i rent my computer and i dont have the windows xp cd. I
am having a problem with an error popping up every time I open a window. It
says just this.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
MD-Dos and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
application.
I tried to close it and it just pops right back up and i tried to ignore it
and it doesnt do anything. I looked for my AUTOEXEC.Nt file it could not be
found I believe it could be my problem. I tried to find it please help me any
way u can but remember I dont have the windows xp disc so please tell me
either how to create it or download something to fix the error THANK YOU!!!

Seems to be an epidemic lately....

This can be caused by a trojan.

Get rid of the trojan.

Update your antivirus software and run a full system scan.

Copy the autoexec.nt file from C:\Windows\Repair to C:\Windows\System32.
And set Attributes for autoexec.nt to Read-only.

Read-only
[[Specifies whether this file is read-only, which means that it cannot be
changed or accidentally deleted.]]

1. Right click the file.
2. Properties.
3. Select: ? Read-only.
4. Click: Apply.
5. Click: OK.

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem error while installing or running a DOS application
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm

MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program Error Message
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
program
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:A767D0E8-10C1-4E36-B2E5-50AFAB566460@microsoft.com,
Confused, angry and baffled HELP ME!!! <Confused, angry and baffled HELP
ME!!!@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

ME!!!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I have windows Xp and i rent my computer and i dont have the windows xp cd.
| am having a problem with an error popping up every time I open a window.
It
| says just this.
| C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
| C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
running
| MD-Dos and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
| application.
| I tried to close it and it just pops right back up and i tried to ignore
it
| and it doesnt do anything. I looked for my AUTOEXEC.Nt file it could not
be
| found I believe it could be my problem. I tried to find it please help me
any
| way u can but remember I dont have the windows xp disc so please tell me
| either how to create it or download something to fix the error THANK
YOU!!!

If you don't want to fix it "by hand" per the MSKB instructions there is a
nice automated fix @ http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/16bit_fix.htm

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Hi

Please see if the following article helps:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Confused, angry and baffled HELP ME!!!" <Confused, angry and baffled HELP
ME!!!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have windows Xp and i rent my computer and i dont have the windows xp cd.
> am having a problem with an error popping up every time I open a window.
> It
> says just this.
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
> running
> MD-Dos and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
> application.
> I tried to close it and it just pops right back up and i tried to ignore
> it
> and it doesnt do anything. I looked for my AUTOEXEC.Nt file it could not
> be
> found I believe it could be my problem. I tried to find it please help me
> any
> way u can but remember I dont have the windows xp disc so please tell me
> either how to create it or download something to fix the error THANK
> YOU!!!

Dj OccuLaR

At my system startup this error appeare:

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS.0dc0 IP:029b OP:63 7a 6f 79 4f Choose "Close" to terminate the application.

can someone help me....please