dead psu?

tjchino

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2003
Hello -

First post here, but have always found info very helpful. I read through the FAQ and didn't find the answers I needed, so here's my issue...

My wife was using the computer after being out of town for a week. She turned it on, booted up fine, used it for a while... then suddendly it shut off. She tried turning it on again to no avail. I got home, push power - nothing... no beep, no fan, no lights - nothing. I immediately think "easy, power supply died". Until, I do a little more looking... green light on my asus mobo still green. Power to my usb mouse still there (glows red). So... now I don't know. Do I have a bad PSU? Can power still go to those things with a faulty power supply?

Of course, the easy solution is to test out another power supply, but before I order one up, I wanted to make sure I wasn't about to throw some money away on a problem that didn't exist.

And finally, if it isn't PS, what else could be the culprit?

Thanks in advance!

tjchino

G

Captain Obvious says the answer is un-obvious!

It could be a bad PSU. Enough power to power a few lights, but insufficient to power a PC due to degeneration.

The Captain also says it possibly could be something else. Like an overheating cpu and its thermal shutoff protection, or even a bad motherboard!

One thing the Captain says you can do is turn the PC off at the wall, open the PC up, and reset the BIOS jumper and BIOS battery. Wait a few seconds then reverse the process.
See if that does anything!

<b><font color=red>Captain Obvious To The Rescue!!!</font color=red></b>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
easy fixed :)

<b>I am not a AMD fanboy.
I am not a Via fanboy.
I am not a ATI fanboy.
I AM a performance fanboy.
And a low price fanboy. :smile:
Regards,