Unusual file in startup . . .

When I run msconfig, under the startup tab there is a file called:

ovucrjjonwtah.exe

This is a HP Pavilion notebook . . . it seems like there are a lot of items
in the startup list and several of them I can't identify, but this one just
has an "odd" look that makes me nervous. Anyone know what it might be?
I've run a current virus scan (Norton), and Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D scans
haven't targeted it.

Lee
6 answers Last reply
More about unusual file startup

    Find the file in Explorer, right-click it, select properties and see if you
    can find out what it is.

    "Lee Miller" <LeeM1023@msn.com> wrote in message
    > When I run msconfig, under the startup tab there is a file called:
    >
    > ovucrjjonwtah.exe
    >
    > This is a HP Pavilion notebook . . . it seems like there are a lot of
    > items in the startup list and several of them I can't identify, but this
    > one just has an "odd" look that makes me nervous. Anyone know what it
    > might be? I've run a current virus scan (Norton), and Ad-Aware and Spybot
    > S&D scans haven't targeted it.
    >
    > Lee

    Did you try HijackThis - might tell you what file it is. Anyways, just
    disable it in Msconfig/Startup and see what program does not work
    afterwards. Probably is a random generated file name - you might have some
    smart virus or spyware somwhere.
    Michael
    "Lee Miller" <LeeM1023@msn.com> wrote in message
    > When I run msconfig, under the startup tab there is a file called:
    >
    > ovucrjjonwtah.exe
    >
    > This is a HP Pavilion notebook . . . it seems like there are a lot of
    > items in the startup list and several of them I can't identify, but this
    > one just has an "odd" look that makes me nervous. Anyone know what it
    > might be? I've run a current virus scan (Norton), and Ad-Aware and Spybot
    > S&D scans haven't targeted it.
    >
    > Lee

    Even though the reference under the startup tab is to
    C:\Windows\System32\ovucrjjonwtah.exe, when I use Explorer to look for that
    file (with "show hidden files" selected), it's not in that location. I used
    the "search" function to look for it on the C drive, and it didn't find a
    file by that name.

    So I guess the item in the startup list is referring to a file that's not
    there . . .

    When I uncheck the item and restart the computer, I get a message that the
    computer is starting in "diagnostic mode". Is there any way just to remove
    this item from the startup tab, rather than simply un-checking it?

    Lee

    "Phillips" <afn18721@ufl.edu> wrote in message
    > Did you try HijackThis - might tell you what file it is. Anyways, just
    > disable it in Msconfig/Startup and see what program does not work
    > afterwards. Probably is a random generated file name - you might have some
    > smart virus or spyware somwhere.
    > Michael
    > "Lee Miller" <LeeM1023@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> When I run msconfig, under the startup tab there is a file called:
    >>
    >> ovucrjjonwtah.exe
    >>
    >> This is a HP Pavilion notebook . . . it seems like there are a lot of
    >> items in the startup list and several of them I can't identify, but this
    >> one just has an "odd" look that makes me nervous. Anyone know what it
    >> might be? I've run a current virus scan (Norton), and Ad-Aware and Spybot
    >> S&D scans haven't targeted it.
    >>
    >> Lee

    Hi Lee,

    The file was most likely removed by Norton, but location of where it
    is stating from was not cleaned up.
    In msconfig on the Startup tab look at location and post it here so we
    can find out where to stop it from trying to load.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

    Lee Miller wrote:
    > Even though the reference under the startup tab is to
    > C:\Windows\System32\ovucrjjonwtah.exe, when I use
    > Explorer to look for that file (with "show hidden files"
    > selected), it's not in that location. I used the
    > "search" function to look for it on the C drive, and it
    > didn't find a file by that name.
    > So I guess the item in the startup list is referring to a
    > file that's not there . . .
    >
    > When I uncheck the item and restart the computer, I get a
    > message that the computer is starting in "diagnostic
    > mode". Is there any way just to remove this item from
    > the startup tab, rather than simply un-checking it?
    > Lee
    >
    > "Phillips" <afn18721@ufl.edu> wrote in message
    >> Did you try HijackThis - might tell you what file it is.
    >> Anyways, just disable it in Msconfig/Startup and see
    >> what program does not work afterwards. Probably is a
    >> random generated file name - you might have some smart
    >> virus or spyware somwhere. Michael
    >> "Lee Miller" <LeeM1023@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>> When I run msconfig, under the startup tab there is a
    >>> file called: ovucrjjonwtah.exe
    >>>
    >>> This is a HP Pavilion notebook . . . it seems like
    >>> there are a lot of items in the startup list and
    >>> several of them I can't identify, but this one just has
    >>> an "odd" look that makes me nervous. Anyone know what
    >>> it might be? I've run a current virus scan (Norton),
    >>> and Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D scans haven't targeted it. Lee

    The entry is most likely in

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentControlSet\Run

    run regedit, browse to that location, delete the entry.

    "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
    > Hi Lee,
    >
    > The file was most likely removed by Norton, but location of where it is
    > stating from was not cleaned up.
    > In msconfig on the Startup tab look at location and post it here so we can
    > find out where to stop it from trying to load.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >

    > Lee Miller wrote:
    >> Even though the reference under the startup tab is to
    >> C:\Windows\System32\ovucrjjonwtah.exe, when I use
    >> Explorer to look for that file (with "show hidden files"
    >> selected), it's not in that location. I used the
    >> "search" function to look for it on the C drive, and it
    >> didn't find a file by that name.
    >> So I guess the item in the startup list is referring to a
    >> file that's not there . . .
    >>
    >> When I uncheck the item and restart the computer, I get a
    >> message that the computer is starting in "diagnostic
    >> mode". Is there any way just to remove this item from
    >> the startup tab, rather than simply un-checking it?
    >> Lee
    >>
    >> "Phillips" <afn18721@ufl.edu> wrote in message
    >>> Did you try HijackThis - might tell you what file it is.
    >>> Anyways, just disable it in Msconfig/Startup and see
    >>> what program does not work afterwards. Probably is a
    >>> random generated file name - you might have some smart
    >>> virus or spyware somwhere. Michael
    >>> "Lee Miller" <LeeM1023@msn.com> wrote in message

    It's actually under ". . . Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices"

    There under name it's identified as A3CD58E4.

    The file location is C:\Windows\System32\ovucrjjonwtah.exe

    Safe to remove it from the registry?

    Lee

Windows XP