Out of "nowhere", my daughters' computer won't turn back on. It gets to the
windows splash screen, then a blue screen and then starts it all over
again... continually but never gets any further.
I was going to try to boot from a "boot disk" (copied the NTDETECT.COM and
NTLDR files and the "boot.ini" file from my XP system, but as I read some
have it for this computer... XP was OEM loaded and is recoverable in .cab
files. I DO have a WinXP UPGRADE CD. Would that work?
ANY advice before I roll up my sleeves would be great!

Thanks in advance
Maggie

You can use the Upgrade XP to try to recover whatever files you need. Or you
can use Knopix or other CD run OS for the same reason.
Of course, you'd better try to boot XP in Safe Mode and see what errors -
might be a memory or other hardware problem - cause the BSOD.
Try SafeMode first.
Michael

"Maggie Boby" <Maggie Boby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Out of "nowhere", my daughters' computer won't turn back on. It gets to
> the
> windows splash screen, then a blue screen and then starts it all over
> again... continually but never gets any further.
> I was going to try to boot from a "boot disk" (copied the NTDETECT.COM and
> NTLDR files and the "boot.ini" file from my XP system, but as I read some
> have it for this computer... XP was OEM loaded and is recoverable in .cab
> files. I DO have a WinXP UPGRADE CD. Would that work?
> ANY advice before I roll up my sleeves would be great!
>
> Thanks in advance
> Maggie

"Maggie Boby" <Maggie Boby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Out of "nowhere", my daughters' computer won't turn back on. It gets to the
>windows splash screen, then a blue screen and then starts it all over
>again... continually but never gets any further.
>I was going to try to boot from a "boot disk" (copied the NTDETECT.COM and
>NTLDR files and the "boot.ini" file from my XP system, but as I read some
>have it for this computer... XP was OEM loaded and is recoverable in .cab
>files. I DO have a WinXP UPGRADE CD. Would that work?
>ANY advice before I roll up my sleeves would be great!
>
>Thanks in advance
>Maggie

Turn on the computer and bring up the Windows Startup Menu. To do
this start tapping the F8 key rapidly just as soon as the first
information of any kind shows on the screen.

When the Startup Menu appears look for the menu option to "disable
automatic restart on system failure" and choose that. That should
put an end to the reboot cycle. However what you may end up with is
the computer halted with a "Blue Screen Of Death" STOP error message.
In that case then the contents of the STOP message will be a direct
clue as to the underlying cause of the problems.

Post the STOP message details back here for further advice and
assistance.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--