Problem with Temporary Internet Files folder

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

When I scroll down in the Temporary Internet Files folder, my computer locks
up. This does not happen with any other folders that I can find. I also
noticed that under Properties on the right-click menu for Temporary Internet
Files it does not have the NTFS Security tab like all the other folders. I
am wondering if this folder simply needs recreated or something, but since
Windows will not let me delete the folder because it is a system folder.
Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be, or what I can do to fix
it? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
--
Nathan Sokalski
njsokalski@hotmail.com

    Hi Nathen,

    Empyt the TIF folder and try scrolling.
    Right click on the IE icon on the desktop and select properties and
    click on Delete Files under "Temporary Internet Files" and again with
    a check mark on "Delete all offline contents". Next click on Settings
    in the same section and reduce the "Amount of disk space to use".
    With a broadband connection 20mb's should be sufficient.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

    Nathan Sokalski wrote:
    > When I scroll down in the Temporary Internet Files
    > folder, my computer locks up. This does not happen with
    > any other folders that I can find. I also noticed that
    > under Properties on the right-click menu for Temporary
    > Internet Files it does not have the NTFS Security tab
    > like all the other folders. I am wondering if this folder
    > simply needs recreated or something, but since Windows
    > will not let me delete the folder because it is a system
    > folder. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could
    > be, or what I can do to fix it? Any help would be
    > appreciated. Thanks.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    This does not seem to help much, it still causes lock-ups with this folder.
    It also does not explain why this folder does not have an NTFS Security tab
    when viewing the properties (maybe it's not supposed to for some reason
    related to it being a system folder, I don't know). Even though I will not
    be looking at all the files in this folder the same way I look at all the
    files in most other folders, I do still need to be able to scroll through
    them because there are files I occasionally have to get from it. Thanks.
    --

    "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
    > Hi Nathen,
    >
    > Empyt the TIF folder and try scrolling.
    > Right click on the IE icon on the desktop and select properties and click
    > on Delete Files under "Temporary Internet Files" and again with a check
    > mark on "Delete all offline contents". Next click on Settings in the same
    > section and reduce the "Amount of disk space to use".
    > With a broadband connection 20mb's should be sufficient.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >

    > Nathan Sokalski wrote:
    >> When I scroll down in the Temporary Internet Files
    >> folder, my computer locks up. This does not happen with
    >> any other folders that I can find. I also noticed that
    >> under Properties on the right-click menu for Temporary
    >> Internet Files it does not have the NTFS Security tab
    >> like all the other folders. I am wondering if this folder
    >> simply needs recreated or something, but since Windows
    >> will not let me delete the folder because it is a system
    >> folder. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could
    >> be, or what I can do to fix it? Any help would be
    >> appreciated. Thanks.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    The Temporary Internet Files folder now refuses to let me even select the
    folder (click on it). Whenever I click on the Temporary Internet Files
    folder Windows Explorer immediately closes.
    --
    Nathan Sokalski
    njsokalski@hotmail.com
    http://www.nathansokalski.com/

    "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
    > Hi Nathen,
    >
    > Empyt the TIF folder and try scrolling.
    > Right click on the IE icon on the desktop and select properties and click
    > on Delete Files under "Temporary Internet Files" and again with a check
    > mark on "Delete all offline contents". Next click on Settings in the same
    > section and reduce the "Amount of disk space to use".
    > With a broadband connection 20mb's should be sufficient.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >

    > Nathan Sokalski wrote:
    >> When I scroll down in the Temporary Internet Files
    >> folder, my computer locks up. This does not happen with
    >> any other folders that I can find. I also noticed that
    >> under Properties on the right-click menu for Temporary
    >> Internet Files it does not have the NTFS Security tab
    >> like all the other folders. I am wondering if this folder
    >> simply needs recreated or something, but since Windows
    >> will not let me delete the folder because it is a system
    >> folder. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could
    >> be, or what I can do to fix it? Any help would be
    >> appreciated. Thanks.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Hi Nathan,

    At this point I would suggest scanning for Virus and Spyware
    infection. http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/spyware.html

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

    Nathan Sokalski wrote:
    > The Temporary Internet Files folder now refuses to let me
    > even select the folder (click on it). Whenever I click on
    > the Temporary Internet Files folder Windows Explorer
    > immediately closes.
    > "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Hi Nathen,
    >>
    >> Empyt the TIF folder and try scrolling.
    >> Right click on the IE icon on the desktop and select
    >> properties and click on Delete Files under "Temporary
    >> Internet Files" and again with a check mark on "Delete
    >> all offline contents". Next click on Settings in the
    >> same section and reduce the "Amount of disk space to
    >> use". With a broadband connection 20mb's should be sufficient.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    >> http://dts-l.org/
    >>

    >> Nathan Sokalski wrote:
    >>> When I scroll down in the Temporary Internet Files
    >>> folder, my computer locks up. This does not happen with
    >>> any other folders that I can find. I also noticed that
    >>> under Properties on the right-click menu for Temporary
    >>> Internet Files it does not have the NTFS Security tab
    >>> like all the other folders. I am wondering if this
    >>> folder simply needs recreated or something, but since
    >>> Windows will not let me delete the folder because it is
    >>> a system folder. Does anyone have any idea what the
    >>> problem could be, or what I can do to fix it? Any help
    >>> would be appreciated. Thanks.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    That was one of my thoughts as well, but I had already done that. Neither of
    them found anything, even though I have the latest virus DAT's and
    AntiSpyware updates.
    --

    > Hi Nathan,
    >
    > At this point I would suggest scanning for Virus and Spyware infection.
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/spyware.html
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >
    > Nathan Sokalski wrote:
    >> The Temporary Internet Files folder now refuses to let me
    >> even select the folder (click on it). Whenever I click on
    >> the Temporary Internet Files folder Windows Explorer
    >> immediately closes.
    >> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Nathen,
    >>>
    >>> Empyt the TIF folder and try scrolling.
    >>> Right click on the IE icon on the desktop and select
    >>> properties and click on Delete Files under "Temporary
    >>> Internet Files" and again with a check mark on "Delete
    >>> all offline contents". Next click on Settings in the
    >>> same section and reduce the "Amount of disk space to
    >>> use". With a broadband connection 20mb's should be sufficient.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    >>> http://dts-l.org/

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Hi Nathan,

    Boot tapping the F8 key as the BIOS information goes by. At the
    Windows Advanced Options menu select Safe Mode. On the welcome screen
    select Administrator. This is the hidden Administrator account and
    assuming a password was never assigned to it click enter.

    Go to the Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab, set it to "Show
    hidden
    files and folders" and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".

    Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\User_name_in_question\Local
    Settings\
    and delete the entire contents of the Temporary Internet Files folder.
    That is if it can be accessed.

    Log off and onto the account in question. Test the Temporary Internet
    Files folder now.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

    Nathan Sokalski wrote:
    > That was one of my thoughts as well, but I had already
    > done that. Neither of them found anything, even though I
    > have the latest virus DAT's and AntiSpyware updates.
    >
    > "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Hi Nathan,
    >>
    >> At this point I would suggest scanning for Virus and
    >> Spyware infection.
    >> http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/spyware.html --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    >> http://dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> Nathan Sokalski wrote:
    >>> The Temporary Internet Files folder now refuses to let
    >>> me even select the folder (click on it). Whenever I
    >>> click on the Temporary Internet Files folder Windows
    >>> Explorer immediately closes.
    >>> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Hi Nathan,

    Are you using PhotoShop? If so: Photoshop manages swapfile/pagefile and
    many more on its own. Check your settings.

    If this is not the case:
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos/browse_thread/thread/d991525a91c5fe7a/78c168d50bb85d82?q=The+instruction+at+0x7c9111de+group:microsoft.public.Windowsxp.*#78c168d50bb85d82

    --
    In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    My problem came back. I tried your suggestion, but it did not help. When I
    clicked on the Temporary Internet Files folder, I recieved an error message
    stating the following:

    The instruction at "0x7c9111de" referenced memory at "0x00660069". The
    memory could not be "read".

    Click on OK to terminate the program

    I do not know if this means that I have a bad area on my hard disk or if
    there is some kind of error that I do not know of. Is there some way I can
    determine whether it is a hardware or software problem, and how can I fix
    it?
    --

    > Hi Nathan,
    >
    > Boot tapping the F8 key as the BIOS information goes by. At the
    > Windows Advanced Options menu select Safe Mode. On the welcome screen
    > select Administrator. This is the hidden Administrator account and
    > assuming a password was never assigned to it click enter.
    >
    > Go to the Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab, set it to "Show
    > hidden
    > files and folders" and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".
    >
    > Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\User_name_in_question\Local
    > Settings\
    > and delete the entire contents of the Temporary Internet Files folder.
    > That is if it can be accessed.
    >
    > Log off and onto the account in question. Test the Temporary Internet
    > Files folder now.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >

    > Nathan Sokalski wrote:
    >> That was one of my thoughts as well, but I had already
    >> done that. Neither of them found anything, even though I
    >> have the latest virus DAT's and AntiSpyware updates.
    >>
    >> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Nathan,
    >>>
    >>> At this point I would suggest scanning for Virus and
    >>> Spyware infection.
    >>> http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/spyware.html --
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    >>> http://dts-l.org/

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    I am using Adobe Photoshop 7.0, but I was also using it prior to when this
    problem started. The page you mentioned does sound like the same problem,
    but it doesn't seem to say how to fix it. Could you tell me exactly what
    (and where) in Photoshop I need to change the settings (although I don't
    seem to remember needing to make any setting changes before)? Thanks.
    --

    > Hi Nathan,
    >
    > Are you using PhotoShop? If so: Photoshop manages swapfile/pagefile and
    > many more on its own. Check your settings.
    >
    > If this is not the case:
    > http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos/browse_thread/thread/d991525a91c5fe7a/78c168d50bb85d82?q=The+instruction+at+0x7c9111de+group:microsoft.public.Windowsxp.*#78c168d50bb85d82
    >
    > --
    > In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >

    > "Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My problem came back. I tried your suggestion, but it did not help. When I
    > clicked on the Temporary Internet Files folder, I recieved an error
    > message stating the following:
    >
    > The instruction at "0x7c9111de" referenced memory at "0x00660069". The
    > memory could not be "read".
    >
    > Click on OK to terminate the program
    >

    > I do not know if this means that I have a bad area on my hard disk or if
    > there is some kind of error that I do not know of. Is there some way I can
    > determine whether it is a hardware or software problem, and how can I fix
    > it?
    > --
    > Nathan Sokalski
    > njsokalski@hotmail.com
    > http://www.nathansokalski.com/
    >
    > "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Hi Nathan,
    >>
    >> Boot tapping the F8 key as the BIOS information goes by. At the
    >> Windows Advanced Options menu select Safe Mode. On the welcome screen
    >> select Administrator. This is the hidden Administrator account and
    >> assuming a password was never assigned to it click enter.
    >>
    >> Go to the Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab, set it to "Show
    >> hidden
    >> files and folders" and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".
    >>
    >> Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\User_name_in_question\Local
    >> Settings\
    >> and delete the entire contents of the Temporary Internet Files folder.
    >> That is if it can be accessed.
    >>
    >> Log off and onto the account in question. Test the Temporary Internet
    >> Files folder now.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    >> http://dts-l.org/
    >>

    >> Nathan Sokalski wrote:
    >>> That was one of my thoughts as well, but I had already
    >>> done that. Neither of them found anything, even though I
    >>> have the latest virus DAT's and AntiSpyware updates.
    >>>
    >>> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Hi Nathan,

    I to am having the exact same problem, it only started about three days ago.
    I have a seperate thread running but as yet nothing has solved it. I have
    like you tried spyware I have a subscribed norton running and a firewall none
    of which has detected any problem... I did however have a slightly different
    result when I reduced the amount of disk space alotted to TIF instead of
    closing straght away it locked up and asked to send a report to MS. Still no
    resolve though.Please keep me posted, many thx..Mark

Microsoft Internet Windows XP