EQ2: Crafting questions

After reaching lvl 18 as a predator I decided it was time to get my crafting
level up. I am now level 11 after choosing a crafstmen as my initial
profession.

I still find crafting to be very complicated though, especially as the only
info available is through forums and most of this is based for high level
crafters.

So with that in mind here's what I need help on:

1. Am I right in thinking that when I level up as a craftsmen that all the
crafting skills for my profession automatically go up to max? For example I
just checked my skills and craftsman is at 62/62, where as tailoring is
36/46.

2. What is the best way to increase the skills not related to my profession.
For example I have tailoring at 36/46, how can I move that onto 46. Also is
this the maximum it will ever be as this is not a part of my profession
skills?

3. I took a society order for 10 leather bangoliers (or something like
that), this has nothing to do with my profession. Why is my society giving
me orders that are stupidly difficult to make. After around 5hrs getting all
the components together I only managed to make 5 out of 10. My skill in
tailoring is so low that it's very difficult and most times I fail.

How am I supposed to complete this task when I dont have character to do so?
If I level upto lvl 40 as a craftsmen I still wont be able to do this as my
tailoring skill will still be at 36.

4. I'm worried now as if I want to lvl up my guy then it looks like I wont
be able to. I can create items using my craftsmen skill but how do I create
the components not related to craftsmen? Am I supposed to buy them all?
7 answers Last reply
More about crafting questions

    On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 23:31:28 -0000, "Cheddar" <me@there.net> wrote:

    >1. Am I right in thinking that when I level up as a craftsmen that all the
    >crafting skills for my profession automatically go up to max? For example I
    >just checked my skills and craftsman is at 62/62, where as tailoring is
    >36/46.

    No. (and there is no "craftsman" skill) The skills related to your
    profession are raised by using the crafting buffs related to that
    skill. Using these buffs also ensures almost always getting pristine
    items.

    >2. What is the best way to increase the skills not related to my profession.
    >For example I have tailoring at 36/46, how can I move that onto 46. Also is
    >this the maximum it will ever be as this is not a part of my profession
    >skills?

    Making items that use those skills. It's going to be much harder than
    raising your in-profession skills.

    >3. I took a society order for 10 leather bangoliers (or something like
    >that), this has nothing to do with my profession. Why is my society giving
    >me orders that are stupidly difficult to make. After around 5hrs getting all
    >the components together I only managed to make 5 out of 10. My skill in
    >tailoring is so low that it's very difficult and most times I fail.

    Bandolier. Are you using your crafting buffs? Because you shouldn't be
    failing the combines completely...

    >How am I supposed to complete this task when I dont have character to do so?
    >If I level upto lvl 40 as a craftsmen I still wont be able to do this as my
    >tailoring skill will still be at 36.

    No it won't. It will raise as you create tailored items.

    I've been told societies giving quests for combines using the "wrong"
    profession skills is a bug, though. I can't confirm or deny this. Just
    what I've heard.

    >4. I'm worried now as if I want to lvl up my guy then it looks like I wont
    >be able to. I can create items using my craftsmen skill but how do I create
    >the components not related to craftsmen? Am I supposed to buy them all?

    Yes, you're supposed to buy them. This is intentional to promote an
    economy between players of various crafting professions. Alternately,
    as the trade society you belong to levels up, they will generally
    start offering the tempers and such, just at lower than pristine
    quality.

    Scholars have to buy their higher tier quills, craftsmen have to buy
    higher tier resins, etc, etc. Supposedly, at present, you can scribe
    the level 10 books from other professions for the recipes to make
    these yourselves if you can get the books, but this is likely a bug
    and I wouldn't rely on being able to keep those recipes. You also
    won't be able to reliable make pristines like someone of the
    appropriate profession would be able to.

    --
    Dark Tyger

    Sympathy for the retailer:
    http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
    "Door's to your left" -Gord

    Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/

    "Cheddar" <me@there.net> wrote in message
    > After reaching lvl 18 as a predator I decided it was time to get my crafting
    > level up. I am now level 11 after choosing a crafstmen as my initial
    > profession.
    >
    > I still find crafting to be very complicated though, especially as the only
    > info available is through forums and most of this is based for high level
    > crafters.
    >
    > So with that in mind here's what I need help on:
    >
    > 1. Am I right in thinking that when I level up as a craftsmen that all the
    > crafting skills for my profession automatically go up to max? For example I
    > just checked my skills and craftsman is at 62/62, where as tailoring is
    > 36/46.

    Just as with the adventure skills, there are two types of tradeskills. There
    are the knowledge skills like craftsman. These increase automaticly as you
    level. They only govern which formulas you are allowed to scribe. How well
    you use the machines is based on the actual craft skill. Woodworking,
    Artistry or whatever. The craft skills increase through use. Each time you
    create an item, you get a chance for a skill increase. Also, using your
    tier2+ abilities while creating an item gives a chance for a skill up.

    > 2. What is the best way to increase the skills not related to my profession.
    > For example I have tailoring at 36/46, how can I move that onto 46. Also is
    > this the maximum it will ever be as this is not a part of my profession
    > skills?

    Yes, 46 (actually, are you sure that isn't 55?) is the maximum you will get,
    since you did not take outfitter. Your max stopped increasing when you
    chose craftsman instead. If you want to level up the skill, you can create
    tier 1 items using that skill (You do not recieve the tier 2 buffs, so you
    can't use those to increase it). But theres really no point to doing so.
    You are prohibited from making any of the hard items which use tailoring.

    > 3. I took a society order for 10 leather bangoliers (or something like
    > that), this has nothing to do with my profession.

    Bandolier. It's an ammo belt only worn strapped across the chest instead of
    the waist.

    Anyways... socieity tasks are given out by looking at what level you are. It
    gives you a task to create 10 of an item that is a few levels below your
    current skill level. So at level 15 craftsman, you will only get tasks that
    require level 12 - 13 craftsman recepies. Right now you are a level 11
    craftsman... so it is choosing a level 8 or 9 recepie. Since recepies up to
    level 10 are artisian, not craftsman... it can be a task to create anything
    from food to spells. Anything a level 8 artisian can make.

    So in other words, go up a few levels and you will only get craftsman
    appropriate tasks.

    > Why is my society giving
    > me orders that are stupidly difficult to make. After around 5hrs getting all
    > the components together I only managed to make 5 out of 10. My skill in
    > tailoring is so low that it's very difficult and most times I fail.

    See this I have trouble believing. So I'm going to explain how it works...
    since I think you're making a mistake somewhere. Society tasks only require
    that the finished product be "Shaped" level of quality. The 2'nd level out of
    4. (and in fact you *must* turn in shaped quality for them to count.
    Pristine will not count as completing the quest. Use the "stop combine"
    button when "shaped" quality is lit up as you're making it, to guarentee it
    stays shaped instead of going up another level.) This level of quality is
    extremely easy to get, even with no skill.

    What is happening most often when I hear people say they can't make an item,
    is that they are using low quality primary components. The primary component
    is the one listed first, at the top of the recepie (it's even in its own
    little section.) The quality of this component will govern how high of a
    quality finished product you are capable of making.

    If you are using a shaped (level 2 quality) stretch of rawhide leather as your
    main component... your bandolier will only have 2 possible levels of quality,
    crude and shaped. And getting it to come out shaped instead of crude (or
    complete failure) will be *very* hard. But if you are using a pristine
    (level 4 quality) stretch of rawhide leather as your main component, you will
    have 4 possible levels of quality that your bandolier can be. You only need
    to get it to level 2, shaped bandolier... so you can make mistakes up to
    losing 2 full levels of quality before the item is a failure. Even with no
    skill, it's pretty easy to get the bandolier to finish before losing a 3'rd
    level of quality.

    So basicly, use pristine components for the main component, and you will find
    it much easier to complete the tradeskill quests.

    > How am I supposed to complete this task when I dont have character to do so?
    > If I level upto lvl 40 as a craftsmen I still wont be able to do this as my
    > tailoring skill will still be at 36.

    As I said before, at level 40 woodworker (at 20 you choose a subclass of
    craftsman, woodworker / provisioner / carpenter... there is no level 40
    craftsman) you will only be asked to make level 37 to 38 woodworker recepies.
    You will not be asked to make level 37 tailoring recepies.

    > 4. I'm worried now as if I want to lvl up my guy then it looks like I wont
    > be able to. I can create items using my craftsmen skill but how do I create
    > the components not related to craftsmen? Am I supposed to buy them all?

    Yes, that is part of the "vision" for tradeskills. They want players to be
    buying the components from other players of different tradeskill classes.
    They want a functioning economy where a craftsman will buy chemicals from an
    alchemist, then use those chemicals to create burlap patterns which they sell
    to tailors... and tailors will buy the patterns because they need one for each
    piece of armor they are going to create, and they are unable to make it, only
    you can, etc, etc, etc.

    --
    Davian - Wood Elf Warrior on Guk
    Talynne - Half Elf Rogue on Guk

    On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 00:19:37 GMT, "Davian"
    <davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote:

    >There
    >are the knowledge skills like craftsman.

    Oh. Duh. Ignore my comment on my other post regarding this skills. One
    I've never seen a skill up message for, so I haven't searched my skill
    list for it. ;)

    --

    Cheddar wrote:

    > After reaching lvl 18 as a predator I decided it was time to get my crafting
    > level up. I am now level 11 after choosing a crafstmen as my initial
    > profession.
    >
    > I still find crafting to be very complicated though, especially as the only
    > info available is through forums and most of this is based for high level
    > crafters.

    In case you weren't aware of it:

    http://eq2.eqtraders.com/articles/news_page.php

    Plenty of discussion on all levels of crafting in the forums, and the
    recipes are starting to fill out.

    Inyidd

    Thanks for the help, I think I understand a lot better now.

    >> 2. What is the best way to increase the skills not related to my
    >> profession.
    >> For example I have tailoring at 36/46, how can I move that onto 46. Also
    >> is
    >> this the maximum it will ever be as this is not a part of my profession
    >> skills?
    >>

    > Yes, 46 (actually, are you sure that isn't 55?) is the maximum you will
    > get,
    > since you did not take outfitter. Your max stopped increasing when you
    > chose craftsman instead. If you want to level up the skill, you can
    > create
    > tier 1 items using that skill (You do not recieve the tier 2 buffs, so you
    > can't use those to increase it). But theres really no point to doing so.
    > You are prohibited from making any of the hard items which use tailoring.

    I was just thinking it would be nice to be able to make lower level items of
    all classes. I'd like to make a lot of the lower level AppIII spells for my
    character instead of buying them.

    > What is happening most often when I hear people say they can't make an
    > item,
    > is that they are using low quality primary components. The primary
    > component
    > is the one listed first, at the top of the recepie (it's even in its own
    > little section.) The quality of this component will govern how high of
    > quality finished product you are capable of making.
    >
    > If you are using a shaped (level 2 quality) stretch of rawhide leather as
    > your
    > main component... your bandolier will only have 2 possible levels of
    > quality,
    > crude and shaped. And getting it to come out shaped instead of crude (or
    > complete failure) will be *very* hard. But if you are using a pristine
    > (level 4 quality) stretch of rawhide leather as your main component, you
    > will
    > have 4 possible levels of quality that your bandolier can be. You only
    > need
    > to get it to level 2, shaped bandolier... so you can make mistakes up to
    > losing 2 full levels of quality before the item is a failure. Even with
    > no
    > skill, it's pretty easy to get the bandolier to finish before losing a
    > 3'rd
    > level of quality.
    >
    > So basicly, use pristine components for the main component, and you will
    > find
    > it much easier to complete the tradeskill quests.

    I did know about the main component being vital but I thought that seeing as
    I was creating a shaped item, it would be just as simple to use a shaped
    primary component. I didnt realise creating a shaped item out of a shaped
    primary woukd be so difficult. I understand the logic behind this now. My
    succesful attempts were all done using regular (lvl3) primary components.

    >> 4. I'm worried now as if I want to lvl up my guy then it looks like I
    >> wont
    >> be able to. I can create items using my craftsmen skill but how do I
    >> create
    >> the components not related to craftsmen? Am I supposed to buy them all?
    >>

    > Yes, that is part of the "vision" for tradeskills. They want players to
    > be
    > buying the components from other players of different tradeskill classes.
    > They want a functioning economy where a craftsman will buy chemicals from
    > an
    > alchemist, then use those chemicals to create burlap patterns which they
    > sell
    > to tailors... and tailors will buy the patterns because they need one for
    > each
    > piece of armor they are going to create, and they are unable to make it,
    > only
    > you can, etc, etc, etc.

    With this in mind, is there a particular class that would complement a
    craftsmen? I'm tempted to make another character simply to concentrate on
    crafting.

    Thanks.

    > I did know about the main component being vital but I thought that seeing as
    > I was creating a shaped item, it would be just as simple to use a shaped
    > primary component. I didnt realise creating a shaped item out of a shaped
    > primary woukd be so difficult. I understand the logic behind this now. My
    > succesful attempts were all done using regular (lvl3) primary components.

    Cool, glad I could help. Yeah, some of the tricks of the tradeskill process
    aren't really explained anywhere, except maybe a few old message board posts
    if you're good at digging for the answers. That one is a common one... I've
    met several people who thought that because they were only shown 2 possible
    levels of quality... that was all the recepie allowed. That there were crude
    backpacks and shaped backpacks, but nobody was able to make pristine. Or
    that they wouldn't even get the option to make pristine until they maxed out
    thier skill. When all along it was the low quality components they were
    using that were to blame.

    > >> be able to. I can create items using my craftsmen skill but how do I
    > >> create the components not related to craftsmen?
    > >> Am I supposed to buy them all?
    > >>

    > > Yes, that is part of the "vision" for tradeskills.

    > With this in mind, is there a particular class that would complement a
    > craftsmen? I'm tempted to make another character simply to concentrate on
    > crafting.

    I'm not sure about your server, but on ours, Alchemists are the scrooges.
    You'll find you need at least one of their chemicals, wash, resin, oil or
    temper, for every single f'ing combine you do. Creating four chemicals costs
    them 6 copper for water, 6 copper for a candle, and one easy to get foraged
    component... and they then try to sell each of those chemicals for 1 silver.
    About a 3300% profit margin. They were getting away with it for a while
    since there were so few alchemists to compete with them.... not sure if they
    still are. (Haven't had much time to play in the last week or two. Getting
    ready to move.)

    So, Alchemist will probably be the most useful class. Aside from supporting
    your craftsman character, he'll also be able to create poisons that predators
    and rogues can use in combat. (You play a predator, right?) And fighter class
    skills that you can sell to other players.

    You'll still need a ton of things from other classes, like metal sheets and
    spikes from blacksmith types and iron studs from jewelcrafter types... but
    those people all need chemicals as well, so you could probably trade a couple
    stacks of temper for a stack of sheets, etc.

    --
    Davian - Wood Elf Warrior on Guk
    Talynne - Half Elf Rogue on Guk
    Dearic - Dwarven Shaman on Guk