Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

EQ2: Crafting questions

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 2:31:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

After reaching lvl 18 as a predator I decided it was time to get my crafting
level up. I am now level 11 after choosing a crafstmen as my initial
profession.

I still find crafting to be very complicated though, especially as the only
info available is through forums and most of this is based for high level
crafters.

So with that in mind here's what I need help on:

1. Am I right in thinking that when I level up as a craftsmen that all the
crafting skills for my profession automatically go up to max? For example I
just checked my skills and craftsman is at 62/62, where as tailoring is
36/46.

2. What is the best way to increase the skills not related to my profession.
For example I have tailoring at 36/46, how can I move that onto 46. Also is
this the maximum it will ever be as this is not a part of my profession
skills?

3. I took a society order for 10 leather bangoliers (or something like
that), this has nothing to do with my profession. Why is my society giving
me orders that are stupidly difficult to make. After around 5hrs getting all
the components together I only managed to make 5 out of 10. My skill in
tailoring is so low that it's very difficult and most times I fail.

How am I supposed to complete this task when I dont have character to do so?
If I level upto lvl 40 as a craftsmen I still wont be able to do this as my
tailoring skill will still be at 36.

4. I'm worried now as if I want to lvl up my guy then it looks like I wont
be able to. I can create items using my craftsmen skill but how do I create
the components not related to craftsmen? Am I supposed to buy them all?

More about : eq2 crafting questions

Anonymous
December 25, 2004 2:31:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 23:31:28 -0000, "Cheddar" <me@there.net> wrote:

>1. Am I right in thinking that when I level up as a craftsmen that all the
>crafting skills for my profession automatically go up to max? For example I
>just checked my skills and craftsman is at 62/62, where as tailoring is
>36/46.

No. (and there is no "craftsman" skill) The skills related to your
profession are raised by using the crafting buffs related to that
skill. Using these buffs also ensures almost always getting pristine
items.

>2. What is the best way to increase the skills not related to my profession.
>For example I have tailoring at 36/46, how can I move that onto 46. Also is
>this the maximum it will ever be as this is not a part of my profession
>skills?

Making items that use those skills. It's going to be much harder than
raising your in-profession skills.

>3. I took a society order for 10 leather bangoliers (or something like
>that), this has nothing to do with my profession. Why is my society giving
>me orders that are stupidly difficult to make. After around 5hrs getting all
>the components together I only managed to make 5 out of 10. My skill in
>tailoring is so low that it's very difficult and most times I fail.

Bandolier. Are you using your crafting buffs? Because you shouldn't be
failing the combines completely...

>How am I supposed to complete this task when I dont have character to do so?
>If I level upto lvl 40 as a craftsmen I still wont be able to do this as my
>tailoring skill will still be at 36.

No it won't. It will raise as you create tailored items.

I've been told societies giving quests for combines using the "wrong"
profession skills is a bug, though. I can't confirm or deny this. Just
what I've heard.

>4. I'm worried now as if I want to lvl up my guy then it looks like I wont
>be able to. I can create items using my craftsmen skill but how do I create
>the components not related to craftsmen? Am I supposed to buy them all?

Yes, you're supposed to buy them. This is intentional to promote an
economy between players of various crafting professions. Alternately,
as the trade society you belong to levels up, they will generally
start offering the tempers and such, just at lower than pristine
quality.

Scholars have to buy their higher tier quills, craftsmen have to buy
higher tier resins, etc, etc. Supposedly, at present, you can scribe
the level 10 books from other professions for the recipes to make
these yourselves if you can get the books, but this is likely a bug
and I wouldn't rely on being able to keep those recipes. You also
won't be able to reliable make pristines like someone of the
appropriate profession would be able to.

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
"Door's to your left" -Gord
(I have no association with this site. Just thought it was funny as hell)

Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 3:19:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"Cheddar" <me@there.net> wrote in message
news:p F1zd.2315$s96.153@fe10.usenetserver.com...
> After reaching lvl 18 as a predator I decided it was time to get my crafting
> level up. I am now level 11 after choosing a crafstmen as my initial
> profession.
>
> I still find crafting to be very complicated though, especially as the only
> info available is through forums and most of this is based for high level
> crafters.
>
> So with that in mind here's what I need help on:
>
> 1. Am I right in thinking that when I level up as a craftsmen that all the
> crafting skills for my profession automatically go up to max? For example I
> just checked my skills and craftsman is at 62/62, where as tailoring is
> 36/46.
>

Just as with the adventure skills, there are two types of tradeskills. There
are the knowledge skills like craftsman. These increase automaticly as you
level. They only govern which formulas you are allowed to scribe. How well
you use the machines is based on the actual craft skill. Woodworking,
Artistry or whatever. The craft skills increase through use. Each time you
create an item, you get a chance for a skill increase. Also, using your
tier2+ abilities while creating an item gives a chance for a skill up.



> 2. What is the best way to increase the skills not related to my profession.
> For example I have tailoring at 36/46, how can I move that onto 46. Also is
> this the maximum it will ever be as this is not a part of my profession
> skills?
>

Yes, 46 (actually, are you sure that isn't 55?) is the maximum you will get,
since you did not take outfitter. Your max stopped increasing when you
chose craftsman instead. If you want to level up the skill, you can create
tier 1 items using that skill (You do not recieve the tier 2 buffs, so you
can't use those to increase it). But theres really no point to doing so.
You are prohibited from making any of the hard items which use tailoring.

> 3. I took a society order for 10 leather bangoliers (or something like
> that), this has nothing to do with my profession.

Bandolier. It's an ammo belt only worn strapped across the chest instead of
the waist.

Anyways... socieity tasks are given out by looking at what level you are. It
gives you a task to create 10 of an item that is a few levels below your
current skill level. So at level 15 craftsman, you will only get tasks that
require level 12 - 13 craftsman recepies. Right now you are a level 11
craftsman... so it is choosing a level 8 or 9 recepie. Since recepies up to
level 10 are artisian, not craftsman... it can be a task to create anything
from food to spells. Anything a level 8 artisian can make.

So in other words, go up a few levels and you will only get craftsman
appropriate tasks.

> Why is my society giving
> me orders that are stupidly difficult to make. After around 5hrs getting all
> the components together I only managed to make 5 out of 10. My skill in
> tailoring is so low that it's very difficult and most times I fail.
>

See this I have trouble believing. So I'm going to explain how it works...
since I think you're making a mistake somewhere. Society tasks only require
that the finished product be "Shaped" level of quality. The 2'nd level out of
4. (and in fact you *must* turn in shaped quality for them to count.
Pristine will not count as completing the quest. Use the "stop combine"
button when "shaped" quality is lit up as you're making it, to guarentee it
stays shaped instead of going up another level.) This level of quality is
extremely easy to get, even with no skill.

What is happening most often when I hear people say they can't make an item,
is that they are using low quality primary components. The primary component
is the one listed first, at the top of the recepie (it's even in its own
little section.) The quality of this component will govern how high of a
quality finished product you are capable of making.

If you are using a shaped (level 2 quality) stretch of rawhide leather as your
main component... your bandolier will only have 2 possible levels of quality,
crude and shaped. And getting it to come out shaped instead of crude (or
complete failure) will be *very* hard. But if you are using a pristine
(level 4 quality) stretch of rawhide leather as your main component, you will
have 4 possible levels of quality that your bandolier can be. You only need
to get it to level 2, shaped bandolier... so you can make mistakes up to
losing 2 full levels of quality before the item is a failure. Even with no
skill, it's pretty easy to get the bandolier to finish before losing a 3'rd
level of quality.

So basicly, use pristine components for the main component, and you will find
it much easier to complete the tradeskill quests.



> How am I supposed to complete this task when I dont have character to do so?
> If I level upto lvl 40 as a craftsmen I still wont be able to do this as my
> tailoring skill will still be at 36.

As I said before, at level 40 woodworker (at 20 you choose a subclass of
craftsman, woodworker / provisioner / carpenter... there is no level 40
craftsman) you will only be asked to make level 37 to 38 woodworker recepies.
You will not be asked to make level 37 tailoring recepies.

>
> 4. I'm worried now as if I want to lvl up my guy then it looks like I wont
> be able to. I can create items using my craftsmen skill but how do I create
> the components not related to craftsmen? Am I supposed to buy them all?
>

Yes, that is part of the "vision" for tradeskills. They want players to be
buying the components from other players of different tradeskill classes.
They want a functioning economy where a craftsman will buy chemicals from an
alchemist, then use those chemicals to create burlap patterns which they sell
to tailors... and tailors will buy the patterns because they need one for each
piece of armor they are going to create, and they are unable to make it, only
you can, etc, etc, etc.


--
Davian - Wood Elf Warrior on Guk
Talynne - Half Elf Rogue on Guk
Dearic - Dwarven Shaman on Guk
Related resources
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 3:19:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 00:19:37 GMT, "Davian"
<davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote:

>There
>are the knowledge skills like craftsman.

Oh. Duh. Ignore my comment on my other post regarding this skills. One
I've never seen a skill up message for, so I haven't searched my skill
list for it. ;) 

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
"Door's to your left" -Gord
(I have no association with this site. Just thought it was funny as hell)

Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 1:47:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Cheddar wrote:

> After reaching lvl 18 as a predator I decided it was time to get my crafting
> level up. I am now level 11 after choosing a crafstmen as my initial
> profession.
>
> I still find crafting to be very complicated though, especially as the only
> info available is through forums and most of this is based for high level
> crafters.
>

In case you weren't aware of it:

http://eq2.eqtraders.com/articles/news_page.php

Plenty of discussion on all levels of crafting in the forums, and the
recipes are starting to fill out.

Inyidd
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 2:24:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Thanks for the help, I think I understand a lot better now.
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 3:33:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

>> 2. What is the best way to increase the skills not related to my
>> profession.
>> For example I have tailoring at 36/46, how can I move that onto 46. Also
>> is
>> this the maximum it will ever be as this is not a part of my profession
>> skills?
>>
>
> Yes, 46 (actually, are you sure that isn't 55?) is the maximum you will
> get,
> since you did not take outfitter. Your max stopped increasing when you
> chose craftsman instead. If you want to level up the skill, you can
> create
> tier 1 items using that skill (You do not recieve the tier 2 buffs, so you
> can't use those to increase it). But theres really no point to doing so.
> You are prohibited from making any of the hard items which use tailoring.

I was just thinking it would be nice to be able to make lower level items of
all classes. I'd like to make a lot of the lower level AppIII spells for my
character instead of buying them.

> What is happening most often when I hear people say they can't make an
> item,
> is that they are using low quality primary components. The primary
> component
> is the one listed first, at the top of the recepie (it's even in its own
> little section.) The quality of this component will govern how high of
> a
> quality finished product you are capable of making.
>
> If you are using a shaped (level 2 quality) stretch of rawhide leather as
> your
> main component... your bandolier will only have 2 possible levels of
> quality,
> crude and shaped. And getting it to come out shaped instead of crude (or
> complete failure) will be *very* hard. But if you are using a pristine
> (level 4 quality) stretch of rawhide leather as your main component, you
> will
> have 4 possible levels of quality that your bandolier can be. You only
> need
> to get it to level 2, shaped bandolier... so you can make mistakes up to
> losing 2 full levels of quality before the item is a failure. Even with
> no
> skill, it's pretty easy to get the bandolier to finish before losing a
> 3'rd
> level of quality.
>
> So basicly, use pristine components for the main component, and you will
> find
> it much easier to complete the tradeskill quests.

I did know about the main component being vital but I thought that seeing as
I was creating a shaped item, it would be just as simple to use a shaped
primary component. I didnt realise creating a shaped item out of a shaped
primary woukd be so difficult. I understand the logic behind this now. My
succesful attempts were all done using regular (lvl3) primary components.

>> 4. I'm worried now as if I want to lvl up my guy then it looks like I
>> wont
>> be able to. I can create items using my craftsmen skill but how do I
>> create
>> the components not related to craftsmen? Am I supposed to buy them all?
>>
>
> Yes, that is part of the "vision" for tradeskills. They want players to
> be
> buying the components from other players of different tradeskill classes.
> They want a functioning economy where a craftsman will buy chemicals from
> an
> alchemist, then use those chemicals to create burlap patterns which they
> sell
> to tailors... and tailors will buy the patterns because they need one for
> each
> piece of armor they are going to create, and they are unable to make it,
> only
> you can, etc, etc, etc.

With this in mind, is there a particular class that would complement a
craftsmen? I'm tempted to make another character simply to concentrate on
crafting.

Thanks.
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 6:47:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"Cheddar" <me@there.net> wrote in message
news:D 6dzd.8300$J01.5617@fe06.usenetserver.com...


>
> I did know about the main component being vital but I thought that seeing as
> I was creating a shaped item, it would be just as simple to use a shaped
> primary component. I didnt realise creating a shaped item out of a shaped
> primary woukd be so difficult. I understand the logic behind this now. My
> succesful attempts were all done using regular (lvl3) primary components.
>

Cool, glad I could help. Yeah, some of the tricks of the tradeskill process
aren't really explained anywhere, except maybe a few old message board posts
if you're good at digging for the answers. That one is a common one... I've
met several people who thought that because they were only shown 2 possible
levels of quality... that was all the recepie allowed. That there were crude
backpacks and shaped backpacks, but nobody was able to make pristine. Or
that they wouldn't even get the option to make pristine until they maxed out
thier skill. When all along it was the low quality components they were
using that were to blame.


> >> be able to. I can create items using my craftsmen skill but how do I
> >> create the components not related to craftsmen?
> >> Am I supposed to buy them all?
> >>
> >
> > Yes, that is part of the "vision" for tradeskills.

> With this in mind, is there a particular class that would complement a
> craftsmen? I'm tempted to make another character simply to concentrate on
> crafting.
>

I'm not sure about your server, but on ours, Alchemists are the scrooges.
You'll find you need at least one of their chemicals, wash, resin, oil or
temper, for every single f'ing combine you do. Creating four chemicals costs
them 6 copper for water, 6 copper for a candle, and one easy to get foraged
component... and they then try to sell each of those chemicals for 1 silver.
About a 3300% profit margin. They were getting away with it for a while
since there were so few alchemists to compete with them.... not sure if they
still are. (Haven't had much time to play in the last week or two. Getting
ready to move.)

So, Alchemist will probably be the most useful class. Aside from supporting
your craftsman character, he'll also be able to create poisons that predators
and rogues can use in combat. (You play a predator, right?) And fighter class
skills that you can sell to other players.

You'll still need a ton of things from other classes, like metal sheets and
spikes from blacksmith types and iron studs from jewelcrafter types... but
those people all need chemicals as well, so you could probably trade a couple
stacks of temper for a stack of sheets, etc.

--
Davian - Wood Elf Warrior on Guk
Talynne - Half Elf Rogue on Guk
Dearic - Dwarven Shaman on Guk
!