WRT54G Firmware

Does anyone know where I can get older versions of the WRT54G v2.0 firmware?

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 20:05:22 GMT, "Don Jough" <sample@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>Does anyone know where I can get older versions of the WRT54G v2.0 firmware?

Masochist:
ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/

Get something that works instead:
http://www.sveasoft.com/content/view/3/1/

# http://802.11junk.com
# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
# jeffl@cruzio.com AE6KS

> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 20:05:22 GMT, "Don Jough" <sample@invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know where I can get older versions of the WRT54G v2.0
>>firmware?
>
> Masochist:
> ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network

Thanks, v3.03.06 is what I wanted.

> Get something that works instead:
> http://www.sveasoft.com/content/view/3/1/

There's "nothing that works" at this link.

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 19:48:50 GMT, "Don Jough" <sample@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>"Jeff Liebermann" <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 20:05:22 GMT, "Don Jough" <sample@invalid.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Does anyone know where I can get older versions of the WRT54G v2.0
>>>firmware?
>>
>> Masochist:
>> ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network
>
>Thanks, v3.03.06 is what I wanted.

>> Get something that works instead:
>> http://www.sveasoft.com/content/view/3/1/
>
>There's "nothing that works" at this link.

Sigh. I gotta do all the work?

Well, the usual download site at:
http://www.wrt54g.com
seems to be down.

Here's list of alternative firmware:

http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Web_Links&l_op=viewlink&cid=2

Downloads from LinksysInfo require that you register:
http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Downloads

Here's a bunch of custom compiles of the Sveasoft firmware:
http://wrt54g.thermoman.de
and collection of various versions:
http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/LinksysWRT54GS

Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
AE6KS 831-336-2558

>>> Masochist:
>>> ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network
>>Thanks, v3.03.06 is what I wanted.
>>> Get something that works instead:
>>> http://www.sveasoft.com/content/view/3/1/
>>There's "nothing that works" at this link.
>
> Sigh. I gotta do all the work?
>
> Well, the usual download site at:
> http://www.wrt54g.com
> seems to be down.

I did a bit more work than you might think. It had been down over 24 hours
when I responded to your first post. After a 5 minute search, a 5 minute
registration process, and another 5 minute search thinking that registering
would yield a different result, I reinstalled 3.03.06 and did exactly what I
set out to do, dump 4.20.

> Here's list of alternative firmware:
>
> http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Web_Links&l_op=viewlink&cid=2
>
> Downloads from LinksysInfo require that you register:
> http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Downloads
>
> Here's a bunch of custom compiles of the Sveasoft firmware:
> http://wrt54g.thermoman.de
> and collection of various versions:
> http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/LinksysWRT54GS

I had no idea such things exist, looks like I'll be busy for a while.

Thanks for the help!
Don ("Dawn" if from NY)

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 01:01:00 GMT, "Don Jough" <sample@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>> Well, the usual download site at:
>> http://www.wrt54g.com
>> seems to be down.

Argh. Their domain registration expired on 8/8/05 and it appears
their registrar, who runs their authoritative DNS servers, is sitting
on the domain for some reason. a.gtld-servers.net returns nothing for
wrt54g.com.

whois -h whois.aaaq.com wrt54g.com ...
Hostway Whois Server Version 1.0
Domain Name: wrt54g.com
Registrar: AAAQ.COM
Whois Server: whois.aaaq.com
Referral URL: http://www.aaaq.com
Name Server: ns1.firewired.com
Name Server: ns2.firewired.com
Updated Date 2004-08-10
Creation Date: 2004-08-08
Expiration Date: 2005-08-08

08/16/05 19:03:34 dns www.wrt54g.com
No DNS for this address
(host doesn't exist)

>I did a bit more work than you might think. It had been down over 24 hours
>when I responded to your first post.

It's been down for about a week aparently. Bummer.

>After a 5 minute search, a 5 minute
>registration process, and another 5 minute search thinking that registering
>would yield a different result, I reinstalled 3.03.06 and did exactly what I
>set out to do, dump 4.20.

Well, ok. Mission accomplished.

>I had no idea such things exist, looks like I'll be busy for a while.

It's the joy of open source. Linksys used open source GPL licensed
software in their commerical product. That requires making the source
available for general consumption. The FSF attorneys reminded Linksys
of their responsibilities and they complied by posting the source on
their wep pile.
http://www.linksys.com/gpl/
A week later, the first alternative firmware appeared and the supply
hasn't stopped since. Linksys has probably sold more WRT54G routers
on the basis of open source firmware, but seems to have forgotten the
concept in later products.