Pata

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2001
So Micrsoft has a new update to detect if your computer has an unlicenesed copy of windows. If you have a volume XP professional and have been updating for years, your time is up.... or is it? Any suggestions. Use that old key generater again?

<b>
<font color=red> If Music be the Food of Souls,</font color=red>
<i><font color=purple> Then Play On............ </b></i>
</font color=purple>

pat

Expert
Microsoft is investigating the workaround and may have fixed it. But lock do not apply to safety update, so you can always keep your OS (probably) safe..

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

Pata

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2001
Yea, I tried it and it doesn't work. A new challenge arises!

<b>
</font color=purple>

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
My solution is simpler...

1. Install the WGA Update from Windows Update.

2. MS will then reject you because of failed authentication. Close IE.

3. Open REGEDIT and add/modify the following stuff :

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings\{17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700}]
"Version"="*"
"Flags"=dword:00000001

4. Open IE to www.windowsupdate.com and enjoy!

:smile:

Taken from <A HREF="http://www.msfn.org/" target="_new">msfn.org</A> forums.

-
GA-K8NF-9 / <b><font color=green>Athlon 64 3200+</font color=green> @ 3800+</b>
Infineon DDR400 (CL2.5) 2x512Megs
<font color=green>GeForce 6600GT 128Megs</font color=green>
<A HREF="http://www.getfirefox.com" target="_new">Get Firefox!</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheRod on 08/02/05 12:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

All that does is disable the Windows Genuine Advantage add-on in Internet Explorer. This does indeed work, but wouldn't it be easier to go into Manage Add-ons and disable it there? More convenient than editing the registry...

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
You are right! But for "dumb" friends of mine, it's quite easier to double-click one file instead of explaining them where to go in the Internet Explorer menu.

-
<A HREF="http://www.getfirefox.com" target="_new">Get Firefox!</A>

I tried this at home, and just simply disabling the ActiveX control doesn't work... it only prompts you to download it again. If you use the registry hack though... it does work.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

riser

Illustrious
You know, it's really sad that Microsoft came up with something so easily broken. This thing is only going to cause problems for people who bought their computer from some small local shop.

Pata

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2001
Re: 3. Open REGEDIT and add/modify the following stuff :
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings\{17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700}]
"Version"="*"
"Flags"=dword:00000001

Well I went into regedit and found four strings of numbers and none matched yours. And besides all of them were set at REG_DWORD 0x00000001(1) and version REG_SZ *
I found that diabeling the add on of WGA caused the Internet explorer to say "An add on is disabled... click here to enable..." I ignored it and it still checked out my computer and said I had no new priority downloads... then said if I go to custom I can look for other downloads... I found a few but decided not to install.
They will probably catch up on this too......

<b>
</font color=purple>

riser

Illustrious
4. Get a legit version of Windows.

It's out there in left field.. but.. you people will 200 dollars for a video card that is outdated in a year.. but you won't spend 140 dollars on getting an OS that could last 4-5 years before worrying about upgrading?

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
I just tested in on my laptop and Windows Update is still working fine with the original RegEdit hack, don't see the IE message you are talking about.

-
<A HREF="http://www.getfirefox.com" target="_new">Get Firefox!</A>

Well I went into regedit and found four strings of numbers and none matched yours.

Well then, you <b>add</b> it, hence the way he said add/modify. I did get the same message as well... that an add-on was disabled, but ignored it and Windows Update went on it's merry way.

Pata

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2001
First of all riser is right, but I have this OS here and I want to keep it going as long as possible. So I went into regedit and added the string. But I did it all wrong and ended up deleating all the stings and then half tried to add one and then got stuck on how to ad a version and flags! So now all I have is this number hanging in my settings with an asterick and no value settings and what the [-peep-] did I just doooooo????????????
It is still runnings though, but somehow I think it will start smoking any minute now.
help!

<b>
</font color=purple>

joe_tlj

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2003
i used to have this lovely little patch for windows activation. it would modify winlogon while in safe mode (no, it wasn't a virus), and then voila! Unfortunatly, the XP sevice packs changed all that.

I don't see why any would want to install a windows udate. They tend to bog down the os. A slipstreamed sevice pack is ok though.

I can't breath!
Forgive me a cruel chuckle, hehe, power!

riser

Illustrious
Well, when M$ releases 50 updates between Service Packs, some of us like to be safe instead of reinstalling all the time. I don't really see any problems when updating as oppposed to a service pack, which basically does the exact same thing but in one install instead.

Slipstreaming is fine, but I don't know too many people who want to start all over each time a new service pack comes out. Even then, we're on SP2 with XP, SP3 isn't in sight yet.