Slow disk writes with XP SP2

Hi.. I created a slipstreamed install cd with Autostreamer then formatted and
reinstall XP, now XP SP2. With SP2 all of my disk writes have some sort of
strange problem where it takes nearly 100% of my 2GHz processor. The only
difference in my computer is I upgraded my hard drive to a Western Digital
160 Gig from an 80 Gig seagate. The 160 has three partitions and all of them
have this problem. I can read from the disk just fine, but writing to it is a
huge cpu hog. I don't understand what SP2 could be doing to cause this.
5 answers Last reply
More about slow disk writes

    Have you tried any housekeeping. This is essentially are any significant
    change to your system, which installing SP2 is!

    Poor system performance can be the result of a single problem or a
    combination of factors. Listed
    below are issues, which you may wish to examine if you are experiencing
    poor performance after
    the boot process has completed. Some items may help with slow starting
    of Windows XP but the
    list has not been prepared for tackling that problem. Work through the
    list until you achieve an
    acceptable result.

    Regular and effective housekeeping is essential. What you do and how
    often you do it will depend
    on how you use your computer. A suggested routine may include:

    1. In Outlook Express empty your Deleted Items folder.
    2. In Outlook Express run File, Folder, Compact All whilst OFFLINE.
    3. Run Disk Cleanup. Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk
    Cleanup with
    Temporary Internet Files, Offline Web Pages (optional), System Restore
    ( more Options tab )
    and Recycle Bin selected for deletion. If you have more than one drive /
    partition you may
    need to do this operation for each drive / partition.
    4. Run Disk Defragmenter.

    Check whether you could reduce the number of days the History of sites
    visited is retained. Start,
    Control Panel, Internet Options, General, History.

    Spyware causes many problems. If not installed download Adaware and / or
    update Reference file
    from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/ and use it to remove
    parasites. If Spyware
    persists as a problem try a Hosts file.
    http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html

    Slow performance resulting from insufficient memory, causing over
    reliance on virtual memory,
    may be especially noticed by those upgrading to Windows XP from an
    earlier version of Windows.
    Windows XP will run with 64 MB of RAM memory. However, a minimum of 256
    MB is
    recommended and many users will recommend 512 MB. You may check on
    pagefile (virtual
    memory) usage with Page File Monitor for XP:
    http://www.dougknox.com/

    Check how much free space you have on the hard drive / partition where
    your pagefile is located.
    You need a minimum of 15% but 20% or more is better.

    Check your setting for the Indexing Service. Start, Administrative
    Tools, Services, Indexing
    Service. The default setting is Manual. Check that it is not running.
    More information here:
    http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm#Indexing_Service

    You can have too many programmes running in the background. Close
    programmes/windows after
    use. Check whether all the programmes loading when Windows is started
    are really necessary.
    http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm

    Check whether you can identify slow performance with a particular
    programme. Look in Google to
    see whether others have encountered the same problem and found a
    solution.
    http://groups.google.com/

    Are there any error messages in Event Viewer? You can access Event
    Viewer by selecting Start,
    Administrative Tools, and Event Viewer. When researching the meaning of
    the error, information
    regarding Event ID: and Source Description is important.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&Product=winxp

    ~~~~~~

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "Maitrix" <Maitrix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi.. I created a slipstreamed install cd with Autostreamer then
    > formatted and
    > reinstall XP, now XP SP2. With SP2 all of my disk writes have some
    > sort of
    > strange problem where it takes nearly 100% of my 2GHz processor. The
    > only
    > difference in my computer is I upgraded my hard drive to a Western
    > Digital
    > 160 Gig from an 80 Gig seagate. The 160 has three partitions and all
    > of them
    > have this problem. I can read from the disk just fine, but writing to
    > it is a
    > huge cpu hog. I don't understand what SP2 could be doing to cause
    > this.

    Thanks Gerry for trying. Your suggestions do not apply to me, however. My
    post says I just installed Windows. None of these things will apply to me at
    all. The only thing in event viewer is :

    Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Userenv
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1517
    Date: 3/8/2005
    Time: 11:20:04 AM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: DWAYNE-2041F12F
    Windows saved user DWAYNE-2041F12F\Dwayne registry while an application or
    service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the
    user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is
    no longer in use.

    This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring
    the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

    Oh, and I have 768 Megs of RAM.

    Can someone from Microsoft PLEASE address this issue? I'm in no way the only
    person seeing this. Please read my post carefully and you will see that this
    is a fresh slipstreamed install and the problem did not arise until this
    install with a slipstream of SP2.

    "Gerry Cornell" wrote:

> [...]
    >
    > Stourport, Worcs, England
    > Enquire, plan and execute.
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >

    > "Maitrix" <Maitrix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi.. I created a slipstreamed install cd with Autostreamer then
    > > formatted and
    > > reinstall XP, now XP SP2. With SP2 all of my disk writes have some
    > > sort of
    > > strange problem where it takes nearly 100% of my 2GHz processor. The
    > > only
    > > difference in my computer is I upgraded my hard drive to a Western
    > > Digital
    > > 160 Gig from an 80 Gig seagate. The 160 has three partitions and all
    > > of them
    > > have this problem. I can read from the disk just fine, but writing to
    > > it is a
    > > huge cpu hog. I don't understand what SP2 could be doing to cause

    I doubt Event ID: 1517 is involved in your problem.

    Can you identify the process using the CPU?

    Task Manager is useful but you could look at another freeware utility
    Process Explorer, which provides similar information but adds that
    little bit extra towards seeing what the running processes represent.

    For further information about Process Explorer see here:

    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Using invalid email address

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please tell the newsgroup how any
    suggested solution worked for you.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> [...]
    >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >>

    >> "Maitrix" <Maitrix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi.. I created a slipstreamed install cd with Autostreamer then
    >> > formatted and
    >> > reinstall XP, now XP SP2. With SP2 all of my disk writes have some
    >> > sort of
    >> > strange problem where it takes nearly 100% of my 2GHz processor.
    >> > The
    >> > only
    >> > difference in my computer is I upgraded my hard drive to a Western
    >> > Digital
    >> > 160 Gig from an 80 Gig seagate. The 160 has three partitions and
    >> > all
    >> > of them
    >> > have this problem. I can read from the disk just fine, but writing
    >> > it is a
    >> > huge cpu hog. I don't understand what SP2 could be doing to cause

    Well, I just found out that it is Mcshield, which is my Mcafee 9 Antivirus.
    The processor goes nuts when writing files to the hard drive because Mcafee
    is scanning everything. Not good! This is something new since my reinstall.

    Maitrix wrote:
    > Well, I just found out that it is Mcshield, which is my Mcafee 9
    > Antivirus. The processor goes nuts when writing files to the hard
    > drive because Mcafee is scanning everything. Not good! This is
    > something new since my reinstall.

    Uninstall it and try a better AV..

    avast! (Free and up)

    AVG Anti-Virus System (Free and up)
    http://www.grisoft.com/

    AntiVir (Free and up)
    http://www.free-av.com/

    RAV AntiVirus Online Virus Scan (Free!)
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

    Symantec (Norton) AntiVirus (~$11 and up)
    http://www.symantec.com/nav/nav_9xnt/

    Kaspersky Anti-Virus (~$49.95 and up)
    http://www.kaspersky.com/products.html

    Panda Antivirus Titanium (~$39.95 and up)
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/
    (Free Online Scanner: http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/)

    Trend Micro (~$49.95 and up)
    http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/personal.htm