Slow disk writes with XP SP2

March 8, 2005 4:49:09 AM

Hi.. I created a slipstreamed install cd with Autostreamer then formatted and
reinstall XP, now XP SP2. With SP2 all of my disk writes have some sort of
strange problem where it takes nearly 100% of my 2GHz processor. The only
difference in my computer is I upgraded my hard drive to a Western Digital
160 Gig from an 80 Gig seagate. The 160 has three partitions and all of them
have this problem. I can read from the disk just fine, but writing to it is a
huge cpu hog. I don't understand what SP2 could be doing to cause this.

More about : slow disk writes sp2

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 5:07:22 PM

Have you tried any housekeeping. This is essentially are any significant
change to your system, which installing SP2 is!

Poor system performance can be the result of a single problem or a
combination of factors. Listed
below are issues, which you may wish to examine if you are experiencing
poor performance after
the boot process has completed. Some items may help with slow starting
of Windows XP but the
list has not been prepared for tackling that problem. Work through the
list until you achieve an
acceptable result.

Regular and effective housekeeping is essential. What you do and how
often you do it will depend
on how you use your computer. A suggested routine may include:

1. In Outlook Express empty your Deleted Items folder.
2. In Outlook Express run File, Folder, Compact All whilst OFFLINE.
3. Run Disk Cleanup. Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk
Cleanup with
Temporary Internet Files, Offline Web Pages (optional), System Restore
( more Options tab )
and Recycle Bin selected for deletion. If you have more than one drive /
partition you may
need to do this operation for each drive / partition.
4. Run Disk Defragmenter.

Check whether you could reduce the number of days the History of sites
visited is retained. Start,
Control Panel, Internet Options, General, History.

Spyware causes many problems. If not installed download Adaware and / or
update Reference file
from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/ and use it to remove
parasites. If Spyware
persists as a problem try a Hosts file.
http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html

Slow performance resulting from insufficient memory, causing over
reliance on virtual memory,
may be especially noticed by those upgrading to Windows XP from an
earlier version of Windows.
Windows XP will run with 64 MB of RAM memory. However, a minimum of 256
MB is
recommended and many users will recommend 512 MB. You may check on
pagefile (virtual
memory) usage with Page File Monitor for XP:
http://www.dougknox.com/

Check how much free space you have on the hard drive / partition where
your pagefile is located.
You need a minimum of 15% but 20% or more is better.

Check your setting for the Indexing Service. Start, Administrative
Tools, Services, Indexing
Service. The default setting is Manual. Check that it is not running.
More information here:
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm#Indexing...

You can have too many programmes running in the background. Close
programmes/windows after
use. Check whether all the programmes loading when Windows is started
are really necessary.
http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm

Check whether you can identify slow performance with a particular
programme. Look in Google to
see whether others have encountered the same problem and found a
solution.
http://groups.google.com/

Are there any error messages in Event Viewer? You can access Event
Viewer by selecting Start,
Administrative Tools, and Event Viewer. When researching the meaning of
the error, information
regarding Event ID: and Source Description is important.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&Product=winxp

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Maitrix" <Maitrix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi.. I created a slipstreamed install cd with Autostreamer then
> formatted and
> reinstall XP, now XP SP2. With SP2 all of my disk writes have some
> sort of
> strange problem where it takes nearly 100% of my 2GHz processor. The
> only
> difference in my computer is I upgraded my hard drive to a Western
> Digital
> 160 Gig from an 80 Gig seagate. The 160 has three partitions and all
> of them
> have this problem. I can read from the disk just fine, but writing to
> it is a
> huge cpu hog. I don't understand what SP2 could be doing to cause
> this.
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 5:07:23 PM

Thanks Gerry for trying. Your suggestions do not apply to me, however. My
post says I just installed Windows. None of these things will apply to me at
all. The only thing in event viewer is :

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1517
Date: 3/8/2005
Time: 11:20:04 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: DWAYNE-2041F12F
Windows saved user DWAYNE-2041F12F\Dwayne registry while an application or
service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the
user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is
no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring
the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

Oh, and I have 768 Megs of RAM.

Can someone from Microsoft PLEASE address this issue? I'm in no way the only
person seeing this. Please read my post carefully and you will see that this
is a fresh slipstreamed install and the problem did not arise until this
install with a slipstream of SP2.

"Gerry Cornell" wrote:

> [...]
>
> Stourport, Worcs, England
> Enquire, plan and execute.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> "Maitrix" <Maitrix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi.. I created a slipstreamed install cd with Autostreamer then
> > formatted and
> > reinstall XP, now XP SP2. With SP2 all of my disk writes have some
> > sort of
> > strange problem where it takes nearly 100% of my 2GHz processor. The
> > only
> > difference in my computer is I upgraded my hard drive to a Western
> > Digital
> > 160 Gig from an 80 Gig seagate. The 160 has three partitions and all
> > of them
> > have this problem. I can read from the disk just fine, but writing to
> > it is a
> > huge cpu hog. I don't understand what SP2 could be doing to cause

March 8, 2005 9:36:56 PM

I doubt Event ID: 1517 is involved in your problem.

Can you identify the process using the CPU?

Task Manager is useful but you could look at another freeware utility
Process Explorer, which provides similar information but adds that
little bit extra towards seeing what the running processes represent.

For further information about Process Explorer see here:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtm...

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> [...]
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>

>> "Maitrix" <Maitrix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi.. I created a slipstreamed install cd with Autostreamer then
>> > formatted and
>> > reinstall XP, now XP SP2. With SP2 all of my disk writes have some
>> > sort of
>> > strange problem where it takes nearly 100% of my 2GHz processor.
>> > The
>> > only
>> > difference in my computer is I upgraded my hard drive to a Western
>> > Digital
>> > 160 Gig from an 80 Gig seagate. The 160 has three partitions and
>> > all
>> > of them
>> > have this problem. I can read from the disk just fine, but writing
>> > it is a
>> > huge cpu hog. I don't understand what SP2 could be doing to cause

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 9:36:57 PM

Well, I just found out that it is Mcshield, which is my Mcafee 9 Antivirus.
The processor goes nuts when writing files to the hard drive because Mcafee
is scanning everything. Not good! This is something new since my reinstall.

"Gerry Cornell" wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> You can have too many programmes running in the background. Close
> >> programmes/windows after
> >> use. Check whether all the programmes loading when Windows is started
> >> are really necessary.
> >> http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm
> >>
> >> Check whether you can identify slow performance with a particular
> >> programme. Look in Google to
> >> see whether others have encountered the same problem and found a
> >> solution.
> >> http://groups.google.com/
> >>
> >> Are there any error messages in Event Viewer? You can access Event
> >> Viewer by selecting Start,
> >> Administrative Tools, and Event Viewer. When researching the meaning
> >> of
> >> the error, information
> >> regarding Event ID: and Source Description is important.
> >> HOW TO: View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP

Anonymous
March 9, 2005 12:44:33 AM

Maitrix wrote:
> Well, I just found out that it is Mcshield, which is my Mcafee 9
> Antivirus. The processor goes nuts when writing files to the hard
> drive because Mcafee is scanning everything. Not good! This is
> something new since my reinstall.

Uninstall it and try a better AV..

avast! (Free and up)

AVG Anti-Virus System (Free and up)
http://www.grisoft.com/

AntiVir (Free and up)
http://www.free-av.com/

RAV AntiVirus Online Virus Scan (Free!)
http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

Symantec (Norton) AntiVirus (~$11 and up)
http://www.symantec.com/nav/nav_9xnt/

Kaspersky Anti-Virus (~$49.95 and up)
http://www.kaspersky.com/products.html

Panda Antivirus Titanium (~$39.95 and up)
http://www.pandasoftware.com/
(Free Online Scanner: http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/)

Trend Micro (~$49.95 and up)
http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/personal.htm