missing dll files

Is there any way of checking whether or not I've inadvertently deleted some
vital windows dll files whilst trying to rid myself of some viral menaces.

I know it's a silly thing to do but when you're in the heart of battle it's
not something you stop to think about.

Maybe a reinstall or summat? I've got XP SP1 on CD but I have upgraded to SP2.

What say you guys?
3 answers Last reply
More about missing files

    Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD drive.
    Then go to Start > Run and type: CMD , and hit enter.
    In the Command Prompt window type: SFC /SCANNOW
    and hit enter.

    Description of Windows XP System File Checker

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "bazeboiee" wrote:

    | Is there any way of checking whether or not I've inadvertently deleted some
    | vital windows dll files whilst trying to rid myself of some viral menaces.
    |
    | I know it's a silly thing to do but when you're in the heart of battle it's
    | not something you stop to think about.
    |
    | Maybe a reinstall or summat? I've got XP SP1 on CD but I have upgraded to SP2.
    |
    | What say you guys?

    Hi

    From Start>Run type

    sfc /scannow

    Please note the space between the c and /. You may need to have your XP CD
    to hand. This will check the system files on your system.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "bazeboiee" wrote:

    > Is there any way of checking whether or not I've inadvertently deleted some
    > vital windows dll files whilst trying to rid myself of some viral menaces.
    >
    > I know it's a silly thing to do but when you're in the heart of battle it's
    > not something you stop to think about.
    >
    > Maybe a reinstall or summat? I've got XP SP1 on CD but I have upgraded to SP2.
    >
    > What say you guys?

    As others here have suggested sfc /scannow,
    However since you have installed SP2 and your cd is SP1 you will have to
    create a "new"cd slipped streamed with SP2 for this to work....OR
    change the "source path" for the system file checker in the registry.
    Instructions for doing this can be found here:
    http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html#
    under step...2
    Good Luck.

Microsoft DLL Windows XP