Front USB after motherboard change

Some months back I replaced the failed mobo and PS in my Compaq 5005CL
with an MSI mobo and Enermax PS. I was unable to connect the front
USB connectors to the mobo because the - presumably unique - Compaq
cable did not fit the MSI mobo. I thought I could live with it, but
now would like to have easier access to the USB.

The mobo end of the cable to the front panel is a molded connector, so
I'd need a new cable and reconnection to the front connectors. That
would require removing the drives and probably the mobo and PS so I
can remove the drives...

Before I strip the case to have a look at the front connections, does
anyone have successful experience with this? For example, how is the
cable attached at the front panel?

Alternatives, of course, would be a USB hub which would add to my desk
clutter or a new case, which I am considering.

Thanks for sharing your experience and your suggestions.

Chas,

Actually there are other alternatives.

Front side USB can be added to any machine that has just a header (Not a
PCI-USB card) in the back. All it consist of is a Face plate for any
available bay with the USB jacks mounted in it and some slightly longer
cables to reach the USB connections on the motherboard. These come with 2
and 4 USB jacks, so you can have easy access to connect additional devices.
Some I believe are even called front side internal USB hubs.

Or if you only need a single connection, there are USB extension cables.
Just plug one in at the back and run the other end around to the front of
the PC. Not elegant, but functional.

KC

On Sun, 30 May 2004 , "Kevin Childers" wrote:

> Actually there are other alternatives.
>
> Front side USB can be added to any machine that has just a header (Not a
>PCI-USB card) in the back. All it consist of is a Face plate for any
>available bay with the USB jacks mounted in it and some slightly longer
>cables to reach the USB connections on the motherboard. These come with 2
>and 4 USB jacks, so you can have easy access to connect additional devices.
>Some I believe are even called front side internal USB hubs.

Saw those, but I have no free bays :(

> Or if you only need a single connection, there are USB extension cables.
>Just plug one in at the back and run the other end around to the front of
>the PC. Not elegant, but functional.

Probably what I'll do for the time being...

Thx, Chas.

Yes, the Compaq computers, especially Presarios, have their own special
proprietary front panel connectors. Now that you've replaced the motherboard
and power supply with industry-standard ones, you would be ahead of the game
replacing the chassis, too. A chassis with provision for standard USB ports in
front is not too expensive. And I would assume that the MSI motherboard has a
USB connector on it? ... Ben Myers

On Mon, 31 May 2004, Ben Myers wrote:

>Yes, the Compaq computers, especially Presarios, have their own special
>proprietary front panel connectors. Now that you've replaced the motherboard
>and power supply with industry-standard ones, you would be ahead of the game
>replacing the chassis, too. A chassis with provision for standard USB ports in
>front is not too expensive. And I would assume that the MSI motherboard has a
>USB connector on it? ... Ben Myers

Yes, but...

In my slow and cost-conscious project of evolving a Compaq computer
into a non-Compaq computer, a new chassis is surely on my list, but
I've been hoping my next upgrade/swap would be to replace one of the
optical drives with a DVD-writer. A new case would probably follow
that
- Chas.

TRENDING THREADS