Sign in with
Your question

Power supply connectors

Last response: in Components
November 13, 2003 5:46:34 PM

Hi,
I have seen on motherboards that they have the 4-pin power socket and the other large size power socket (no idea how many pins :) .

Question is which one to use? Are both the same thing even though one is less pinned? or do I have to connect both?

thanks
November 13, 2003 10:28:40 PM

both

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015
November 14, 2003 12:04:56 AM

The 4 pin socket is to provide the motherboard with the extra power needed for newer processors. You need to plug both connectors in.
Related resources
November 14, 2003 2:50:54 AM

I am going to get a asus p4c800e deluxe and use either the super alien powersupply or a fortron 530 w. Do I need othe extra power connection and if so will I have it?
November 14, 2003 6:25:50 AM

If you look <A HREF="http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P4C800-E Deluxe&langs=09" target="_new">here at the ASUS website</A> it says under Internal I/O Connectors that there is a 20-pin ATX Power connector and 4-pin ATX 12V Power connector on the board so I would assume that you need them both. Seems like most motherboards coming out these days need all the power they can get.

As for the power supplies, ask the store where you are getting them from. They should know what sort of connectors the power supplies have or can find out quick.

<font color=blue><b>Purchase object A, install object A, curse object A, repeat...</b></font color=blue>
November 14, 2003 8:21:17 AM

Opps i have an Athlon Xp and its running only on the 20pin power connector :S lol
November 15, 2003 9:48:06 PM

You need to use it, and all Fortron power supplies have had it for at least 2 years now.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!