Computer keeps restarting

SirJames9k

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2002
Computer is running fine for any given amount of time and then suddenly restarts. Everything powers off and then reboots. And then I cry. Everything is brand new and I'm running on Kingston ram. Any ideas? Thought it may be a power supply problem.

Thanks.

I am one hairy bastard

twofruitz

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2003
whtas your system, it could be heat

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6973142" target="_new">3dmark2001</A>

2.4C @ 3.0G
Asus P4C800
Corsair 2x512 3200
Sapphire 9600pro @ 500/700
80G Seagate S-ATA150

RobD

Champion
If you list your specs, we can give you more accurate response.

<font color=blue>"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered" - George Best</font color=blue>

SirJames9k

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2002
Sorry.
The system is a 2.8 ghz pentium
Running a 128 meg geforce4 card
1 gig of kingston pc3200 ram
80 gig 7200 rpm hd
XP Pro
that should be all the vitals. The case is running with 7 fans so I don't think it would be a heating problem, but maybe?

Things we've tried are resetting all the major components, switching around the pci cards to clear up any IRQ conflicts, as we got one blue screen that mentioned one. But after doing all of this, the system is still unstable. It appears that we can leave it in idle just sitting on the windows desktop for a long period of time, but once we start working with programs is when it will go unstable and restart. The first thing that happened when we got online was an inffection of the blaster worm. So that sucked. Could this be any other sort of virus? I no longer think this is a power supply problem considering the system stays stable when not in use or just sitting in bios.

James

I am one hairy bastard

RobD

Champion
Could be your PSU still. This tends to ba a very overlooked component come upgrade time. Rigs thses days really draw the juice. What PSU have you got at the moment?

<font color=blue>"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered" - George Best</font color=blue>

SirJames9k

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2002
PSU? pardon my ignorance...I'm going to guess you mean the power supply. Its a 400w generic brand that came with the case. I've seen cheaper looking power supplies though. Howver, it has very few power connects. Only running one cdrom, hd, and fans and there are no spare cords. I computer is at a friends house so I don't have acess to the specifics at this moment.

I am one hairy bastard

svend

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2003
fans use up more power than you might think, one other idea is if your friend has his computer try swapping in his power supply to your computer and see if the same things happen, if they do you've got a heat related short going on, if not you need a new power supply. What ever you do don't swap your powersupply into his computer just in case your supply is causing the problems.

when all is said and done, what you've done for your neighbor is most important

coolcat

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2002
I'm having the same problem too but it just reboots randomly... mosto of the times the CPU is not on full load and it still reboots. Other times it goes on for a week perfectly well without restarting even if I play cpu intensive games.
I'm thinking of getting a new PSU but i wouldn't like to come home, install it and still have the same problem...

PSU - crappy generic brand one
P4 1700
256MB ram
crappy GF2 MX400

RobD

Champion
I agree with Svend, see if you can test your friends power supply in your machine. Saves you having to fork out for a new one before you're absolutely sure it's faulty.