Chkdsk corrupts files

March 9, 2005 8:42:57 PM

OS: XP Pro, Version 5.1.2600, SP2, Build 2600
Processor: Pentium 4, 2.5 GHz
Bios: Phoenix Technologies, 6,00 PG, v2.2
File System: NTFS
Ram: 1 G, available: 596 MB
Virtual Memory: 2 G, Available 1.96 G
Page File Space 2.41 G
Storage: C: WD 100 G
E/F: WD 200 G, partitioned in two (100 G each)
G/H: WD 200 G, partitioned in two (100 G each)
E/F, GH operating on separate controller
Other Drives: D: HP 200I DVD/CD writer
I: virtual DVD/CD (Daemon Tools)

TSR: Norton System 2004
DiskKeeper 8
Zone Alarm 5.0.590.043

I have run this configuration for about a year without problems. I work
with large video files and edit many. Primary video players include MS
Media Player 10.00.00.3646, Core Media Player v 4.0 Final build 449, and
DivX Player 2.6 with 5.21 Codec. Recent reinstalls and updates to DivX
have resulted in some strange anomalies in editing software, particularly
VDub which lists two identical DivX codecs (Divx.dll and divx.dll).
Periodically the system will schedule a chkdsk on the F, G, or H drives.
It is announced when DiskKeeper can not defrag because a chkdsk has been
scheduled. Invariably if a chkdsk occurs at boot up and I have seen this
as a command line execution (chkdsk X: /f) , files are rearranged and/or
split such that continuous video files are no longer continuous or usable.
Not only are video files modified but many data files are reduced to 0
bytes.
My suspicions were a registry problem but I have not been able to restore a
'restore point' for a long time. I have attempted to employ third party
registry cleaning software, but that does not seem to prevent the sporadic
chkdsk launch.

Are there any suggestions before I initiate an OS repair or at worst a
clean reinstall?

More about : chkdsk corrupts files

March 9, 2005 10:49:33 PM

"Ted" <ted59308@aol.com> wrote in message
> OS: XP Pro, Version 5.1.2600, SP2, Build 2600
> Processor: Pentium 4, 2.5 GHz
> Bios: Phoenix Technologies, 6,00 PG, v2.2
> File System: NTFS
> Ram: 1 G, available: 596 MB
> Virtual Memory: 2 G, Available 1.96 G
> Page File Space 2.41 G
> Storage: C: WD 100 G
> E/F: WD 200 G, partitioned in two (100 G each)
> G/H: WD 200 G, partitioned in two (100 G each)
> E/F, GH operating on separate controller
> Other Drives: D: HP 200I DVD/CD writer
> I: virtual DVD/CD (Daemon Tools)
>
> TSR: Norton System 2004
> DiskKeeper 8
> Zone Alarm 5.0.590.043
>
> I have run this configuration for about a year without problems. I work
> with large video files and edit many. Primary video players include MS
> Media Player 10.00.00.3646, Core Media Player v 4.0 Final build 449, and
> DivX Player 2.6 with 5.21 Codec. Recent reinstalls and updates to DivX
> have resulted in some strange anomalies in editing software, particularly
> VDub which lists two identical DivX codecs (Divx.dll and divx.dll).
> Periodically the system will schedule a chkdsk on the F, G, or H drives.
> It is announced when DiskKeeper can not defrag because a chkdsk has been
> scheduled. Invariably if a chkdsk occurs at boot up and I have seen this
> as a command line execution (chkdsk X: /f) , files are rearranged and/or
> split such that continuous video files are no longer continuous or usable.
> Not only are video files modified but many data files are reduced to 0
> bytes.
> My suspicions were a registry problem but I have not been able to restore
> 'restore point' for a long time. I have attempted to employ third party
> registry cleaning software, but that does not seem to prevent the sporadic
> chkdsk launch.
>
> Are there any suggestions before I initiate an OS repair or at worst a
> clean reinstall?

you should run the mfg's harddrive diagnostic to see if you possibly have a
drive problem...
if you have corrupted files, though chkdsk may not repair them correctly...
it's probably not a case of chkdsk corrupting them.

if the drive checks ok...just to be on the safe side...
you should run a RAM test too
March 10, 2005 9:17:14 AM

"philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in

> "Ted" <ted59308@aol.com> wrote in message
>> OS: XP Pro, Version 5.1.2600, SP2, Build 2600
>> Processor: Pentium 4, 2.5 GHz
>> Bios: Phoenix Technologies, 6,00 PG, v2.2
>> File System: NTFS
>> Ram: 1 G, available: 596 MB
>> Virtual Memory: 2 G, Available 1.96 G
>> Page File Space 2.41 G
>> Storage: C: WD 100 G
>> E/F: WD 200 G, partitioned in two (100 G each)
>> G/H: WD 200 G, partitioned in two (100 G each)
>> E/F, GH operating on separate controller
>> Other Drives: D: HP 200I DVD/CD writer
>> I: virtual DVD/CD (Daemon Tools)
>>
>> TSR: Norton System 2004
>> DiskKeeper 8
>> Zone Alarm 5.0.590.043
>>
>> I have run this configuration for about a year without problems. I
>> work with large video files and edit many. Primary video players
>> include MS Media Player 10.00.00.3646, Core Media Player v 4.0 Final
>> build 449, and DivX Player 2.6 with 5.21 Codec. Recent reinstalls
>> and updates to DivX have resulted in some strange anomalies in
>> editing software, particularly VDub which lists two identical DivX
>> codecs (Divx.dll and divx.dll). Periodically the system will schedule
>> a chkdsk on the F, G, or H drives. It is announced when DiskKeeper
>> can not defrag because a chkdsk has been scheduled. Invariably if a
>> chkdsk occurs at boot up and I have seen this as a command line
>> execution (chkdsk X: /f) , files are rearranged and/or split such
>> that continuous video files are no longer continuous or usable. Not
>> only are video files modified but many data files are reduced to 0
>> bytes.
>> My suspicions were a registry problem but I have not been able to
>> restore a
>> 'restore point' for a long time. I have attempted to employ third
>> party registry cleaning software, but that does not seem to prevent
>> the sporadic chkdsk launch.
>>
>> Are there any suggestions before I initiate an OS repair or at worst
>> a clean reinstall?
>>

> you should run the mfg's harddrive diagnostic to see if you possibly
> have a drive problem...
> if you have corrupted files, though chkdsk may not repair them
> correctly... it's probably not a case of chkdsk corrupting them.
>
> if the drive checks ok...just to be on the safe side...
> you should run a RAM test too

I had already done a manufacturer diagnostic on the drives, and no faults
were found. I am not familiar with a ram test. I assume that is some
third party diagnostic tool?
March 11, 2005 11:17:38 AM

Ted <ted59308@aol.com> wrote in news:iK-dnVT89b5Xp63fRVn-oA@usa2net.net:

> "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in
>

>> "Ted" <ted59308@aol.com> wrote in message
>>> OS: XP Pro, Version 5.1.2600, SP2, Build 2600
>>> Processor: Pentium 4, 2.5 GHz
>>> Bios: Phoenix Technologies, 6,00 PG, v2.2
>>> File System: NTFS
>>> Ram: 1 G, available: 596 MB
>>> Virtual Memory: 2 G, Available 1.96 G
>>> Page File Space 2.41 G
>>> Storage: C: WD 100 G
>>> E/F: WD 200 G, partitioned in two (100 G each)
>>> G/H: WD 200 G, partitioned in two (100 G each)
>>> E/F, GH operating on separate controller
>>> Other Drives: D: HP 200I DVD/CD writer
>>> I: virtual DVD/CD (Daemon Tools)
>>>
>>> TSR: Norton System 2004
>>> DiskKeeper 8
>>> Zone Alarm 5.0.590.043
>>>
>>> I have run this configuration for about a year without problems. I
>>> work with large video files and edit many. Primary video players
>>> include MS Media Player 10.00.00.3646, Core Media Player v 4.0 Final
>>> build 449, and DivX Player 2.6 with 5.21 Codec. Recent reinstalls
>>> and updates to DivX have resulted in some strange anomalies in
>>> editing software, particularly VDub which lists two identical DivX
>>> codecs (Divx.dll and divx.dll). Periodically the system will
>>> schedule a chkdsk on the F, G, or H drives. It is announced when
>>> DiskKeeper can not defrag because a chkdsk has been scheduled.
>>> Invariably if a chkdsk occurs at boot up and I have seen this as a
>>> command line execution (chkdsk X: /f) , files are rearranged and/or
>>> split such that continuous video files are no longer continuous or
>>> usable. Not only are video files modified but many data files are
>>> reduced to 0 bytes.
>>> My suspicions were a registry problem but I have not been able to
>>> restore a
>>> 'restore point' for a long time. I have attempted to employ third
>>> party registry cleaning software, but that does not seem to prevent
>>> the sporadic chkdsk launch.
>>>
>>> Are there any suggestions before I initiate an OS repair or at worst
>>> a clean reinstall?
>>>

>> you should run the mfg's harddrive diagnostic to see if you possibly
>> have a drive problem...
>> if you have corrupted files, though chkdsk may not repair them
>> correctly... it's probably not a case of chkdsk corrupting them.
>>
>> if the drive checks ok...just to be on the safe side...
>> you should run a RAM test too
>>

> I had already done a manufacturer diagnostic on the drives, and no
> faults were found. I am not familiar with a ram test. I assume that
> is some third party diagnostic tool?

Update
After another chkdsk 'event' a comparison of the current data against the
backup data revealed some interesting things: A couple files were reduced
to 0 bytes., but the more interesting is several files were changed in
size, usually upwards from the backup data. A property inquiry on the
compared files indicated the file size matched, but the size on disk was
larger and did not match, thus the disk file had been altered from the
backup data.
Other files have identical file size with disk size, but lists the creation
date for example in March 2005, and a modified date of November 2004. How
can that be? How can a file be modified before it is created?
This getting a little scary.
!