Sign in with
Your question

Vertual gaming

Last response: in Video Games
December 22, 2011 6:50:17 PM

ok so im looking to try something new here(in other words the most info plausible would be appreciated and new ideas to) and that's my first post ever... im not new in the computer world, but i am in the server one.....

im looking to build a server to play games on a smaller system some where els(remotely or something like that), and probably be able to have more then one user at the same time, im looking to play high end games like Arma3(near future) arma2(right now) and maybe other games, what i really want to know is if its

-really plausible to do so
-if i can play online like that(im thinking not with 2 persone since i got the same IP... right?)
-if i can do this on windows server
-what kinda machine would i need to at less pass 2 users to play high end games
-and more..... btw, i dont care about pricing right now, i just care about statistics, and a bref idear of what kinda task im looking at here

and feel free to give me other ideas...(really do) im open to anything

More about : vertual gaming

a b 4 Gaming
December 22, 2011 7:03:56 PM

So you want to install a game on a server, and then access that server remotely through a client and play games? Is that correct? If so, that will not work. Video games rely on the graphical power and output of a video card. With remote access you do not get an output from the video card, but rather from the remote control software, most of which support 2D graphics only. You are also only receiving screenshots or screen updated through that client. Game render the entire screen through a 3D accelerator card, ie a video card. You could get away with small 2D style games like solitaire and maybe some flash games online through a browser. That is probably it. At least this is my understanding of it and past experience. There may be other software out there that supports certain remote technology, but for actual PC gaming, I do not think it is possible.
m
l
December 22, 2011 7:55:33 PM

jay2tall said:
So you want to install a game on a server, and then access that server remotely through a client and play games? Is that correct? If so, that will not work. Video games rely on the graphical power and output of a video card. With remote access you do not get an output from the video card, but rather from the remote control software, most of which support 2D graphics only. You are also only receiving screenshots or screen updated through that client. Game render the entire screen through a 3D accelerator card, ie a video card. You could get away with small 2D style games like solitaire and maybe some flash games online through a browser. That is probably it. At least this is my understanding of it and past experience. There may be other software out there that supports certain remote technology, but for actual PC gaming, I do not think it is possible.

i think you dont exactly understand, i dont want it to be 1KM away from me, i want it to be about 50ft from every computer and send it the information to that computer that HAS been processed in some kinda of video form and then send it, so yes, its kinda 2D, but more like fake 3D

and also one more thing, isn't that what Telsa cards are meant to do?(from Nvidea)
idont know im just fuking around here
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b 4 Gaming
December 22, 2011 9:02:49 PM

It doesn't matter if it is 1ft or 100 miles away. It is still moving over a slow pipe compared to a PCI-E bus to a video card. You are comparing an encapsulated network packet over a medium at 1 Gbit/s(GB Ethernet) with a local bus running at 8 GBytes/s (PCI-e 2.0 x16).

Telsa cards are used for floating point calculations. You still have alot of local horsepower and no way to get it to a remote client in the form of fast moving graphics. They are trying this with the OnLive gaming service. Check that out. I think it is along the lines of your idea.
m
l
December 22, 2011 9:37:06 PM

no that's not at all what im looking for, im looking to BUILD a server, put it in my house, and no not run with remote desktop but with some kind of program, that will show me whats on the screen of the server, that is sending flash type(not exactly flash) videos thru the network so i can see it

my goal here is to have this big ass server, that's running and processing graphics and then simplifying the information so that a smaller computer thru a network will be able to read it then play it, and im talking about a small computer not actually able to process these specific task by its self
m
l
December 22, 2011 10:08:55 PM

To clarify, are you trying to build something like OnLive or Gaikai, but on your local network? If so, the closest thing I can find is Stream My Game, for which you'll need a high-end pc (probably not a server). I don't know how reliable it is, and I doubt you'll be able to have multiple users at once, but it's the best I could find. It also uses a whitelist of compatible games, so it won't work with everything. It looks like you have to pay to use HD resolutions.
Link:
http://www.streammygame.com/smg/index.php
m
l
December 23, 2011 1:21:34 AM

the thing does not support BF3 nor does it take Arma3, i could of made a better site with sticks and glue :p  but good find, thats almost what i was looking for

12-20$ a year is nothing, i dont care that there charging me, i just want the software......
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 23, 2011 1:22:03 PM

You will be hard pressed to find something like this especially if it is game specific. I don't think there is a large market for it so no one has done anything. It might also be network bandwidth limited. OnLive is the only thing that comes to mind and they have been working on this for YEARS, at a corporation level.
m
l
January 3, 2012 5:47:49 PM

jay2tall said:
You will be hard pressed to find something like this especially if it is game specific. I don't think there is a large market for it so no one has done anything. It might also be network bandwidth limited. OnLive is the only thing that comes to mind and they have been working on this for YEARS, at a corporation level.

no im looking for something inside my network.. LAN, so i could just play these games on a small laptop while running it from my server thats making noise in another room and processing all the information from there while sending it into a cable thru a router then back into another cable to a small computer, and being able to make multiple lines at the same time, is no one in here enough smart to understand what i want here?

i dont want all my games to be in a cloud some where i cant trouble shoot it or back it up!
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
January 3, 2012 7:48:01 PM

I kinda sorta do this with VMware, only on small programs like minecraft, me and my nephew both play, you can set up 2 sets of peripherals to each pc, like have one mouse + keyboard set up for main pc and the other set up for the VMware pc

However even minecraft runs at 15-20 fps under the least stressful OS I have (windows xp 32bit) VMware doesnt care what hardware you run on it uses its own "virtual" hardware so even thought I have an athlon 2 x3 and a 6870 it will still lag

Edit: and no it is not possible to do this with some other method/programs as far as I know, simply because in windows you can't have 2 active windows each with there own set of peripherals (this would be the ideal set up, then simply run extension cables to your monitor/mouse and keyboard)

I heard it was possible to do this in some of the linux distros but getting games to work on there is tough
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
January 4, 2012 1:26:14 AM

5T34LTH said:
no im looking for something inside my network.. LAN, so i could just play these games on a small laptop while running it from my server thats making noise in another room and processing all the information from there while sending it into a cable thru a router then back into another cable to a small computer, and being able to make multiple lines at the same time, is no one in here enough smart to understand what i want here?

i dont want all my games to be in a cloud some where i cant trouble shoot it or back it up!

OnLive was an example of the only instance that I know of any sort of an attempt at this. It wasn't a solution for you. What you are looking for most likely does not exist.
m
l
January 4, 2012 6:59:20 AM

There are a few programs which will let you view the screen however there will be a very noticeable lag for the input/display.

When your playing locally it goes as follows
press key
-> computer sends command to game
-> game processes command
-> displays new image

When your doing it remotely its
press key
-> software sends command to server
-> server captures the command
-> server sends command to game
-> game processes command
-> update display on server
-> software captures image
-> image send to computer
-> software displays in on computer

Your more then doubling the steps and you go from a few milliseconds of input delay to half second or more input delay.

Try playing an online game like CS:S or BF3 only with a 0.5 second gap between each button press or mouse movement.
Yep thats the kind of delay you'd get.
m
l
January 10, 2012 9:07:11 PM

ok, so what your telling me is what exactly?? this wont add lag unless it needs to stack the information from what i saw, i do use things like remote desktop, all it does is what you said, with a router involved, i dont notice any lag what so ever from my point of view, no mouse lag, no lag, this is not made over the internet, its made over my LAN, if it does manege to stack to much information up, it will(cuss the soft ware does not no how to cut FPS in that case) i could place a dual band with no? yes i probably could, but what would take so much space?
and no its not about how much steps the computer will have to take, in no ways would that mather
it would be able to do the steps way closer then you think, if i have a 6 core processor, the game would only take 4(or need 4) the other programs could run on the other core, and windows the the last one, the process of the game and the capturing program could happen at the same time, and GPU's work with way more then 6 cores

remember that this is only a example, im thinking of doing this with more then 6 cores,(maybe 12) but a simple example that delay wont stop things from working

tell me where it could stack up, and i will up grade it, delay is only present cuss of the games server them selves, company's want to save money, i want to spend it to get a better gaming experience
m
l
January 11, 2012 7:22:00 AM

It doesn't matter how many cores you have as the actions have to be processed in a set order, each of which rely on each other.

The issue is the latency you get.

Say you have 150ms basic delay between you a gaming PC.
You aim for 60fps on most games.

Lets say you have some super software for the remote connection (which doesn't exist as far as I'm aware) which captures input every 10ms, can create a screen capture within 10ms and can render the image in 10ms.

Using my rough example I made before
->software captures command on computer - 10ms (I forgot this on the example)
-> software sends command to server - 150ms
-> server captures the command - 10ms
-> server sends command to game - 10ms
-> game processes command - varies
-> update display on server - varies
-> software captures image - 10ms
-> image send to computer - 150ms
-> software displays in on computer - 10ms

350ms from the moment you hit W until your character moves on your screen.
At our 60fps (~17ms per frame) you have a 20 frame delay.
Even if your on the same network sat next to each other you'd still have a delay of about 100ms.

I've used remote control softwares for a quite while now, both locally on network and via the internet. Get a bad connection at either side or have someone on the network saturating it and a 1 or 2 second delay, between clicking and seeing the reason, isn't uncommon.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
January 11, 2012 4:56:42 PM

^ as mentioned the lag alone would make a terrible experience. There is still no way to use the power of the GPU to render and game and then take that image and transfer it over a multi-user remote connection client. They have some KVM to Ethernet extenders that might let you run your video/keyboard/mouse connection over a Gbps network, but that is only extends your destop over a distance. It won't allow multi-user. That setup still has alot of lag unless you use highend components.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
January 11, 2012 9:12:35 PM

My option would work perfectly if there was a way to focus 2 windows each with its own set of peripherals.... dunno why windows doesn't do this... D:

(assuming you ahve the hardware to run it)
m
l
!