'Cant find setup.exe' error on Dell with XP & SP2

Doing a Mcafee Internet Security 6 upgrade I got a windows error message that
setup.exe could not be found. After rigorous work to sort active X,
scripting, adware removal, virus scrubbing and ultimately a registry entry
clean up etc I must have damaged something because my Linksys 11g PCI card is
not working. I have also inadvertantly erased the registry backup (when I was
asked by mcafee to erase all files with Mcafee references). The linksys setup
cant find or run setup.exe. Windows XP setup CD does not find the XP
setup.exe file either. Maybe I had another problem before I even tried the
Mcafee update. Other than being disconnected and with no virus software
everything else is working OK. Any ideas where to start? I have done Google
and MS user group searches.
--
Thanks for communicating! Jonny...

This article may help.