November 18, 2003 11:57:06 PM

Is it enough to support:

Abit IC-7G
P4 3.0Ghz 800mhz FSB
2x 512mb ddr400
Radeon 9700pro
Audigy2
three hard drives (two in raid 0)
two optical drives (DVD writer and CD writer)
usb scanner
usb printer
usb wireless keyboard/mouse

The reason I ask is I'd like to stuff all that into an Antec Sonata, and I'd rather not buy a new psu and waste the one it comes with. I'm willing to drop an optical drive if necessary. If I was buyin' the supply seperately I'd go with something like a 480 watt just to be safe. I mean really there's no application that will be using all of those devices at once, so I don't need to go by the max wattage requirements for each device in deciding, right? (If I did, it'd end up closer to 500.) If I'm very close to the limit of that psu, can I try it out anyway and see if it works alright? Will I fry any components or just get lots of crashes? Thanks for any help!

Oh, and if I do end up needing something larger, is anyone interested in purchasing that psu? This'll be next month, and I'm in California. Just thought I'd ask-- there is always eBay.
Thanks for any help!
November 19, 2003 12:42:06 AM

My opinion is that 380W is going to be pretty close to the bare minimum for that setup. If I were you, I'd give it a try like that. Keep in mind though, that if you ever want to upgrade or add new devices, you're probably going to have to upgrade your PSU to something beefier.
November 19, 2003 4:10:27 AM

I'd try it. What's the worst that can happen? These power supplies have overload protection, so if it overloads it simply shuts off.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Related resources
November 22, 2003 9:38:07 PM

I would perfer to get a higher Wattage PSU. In the future you won't have to replace your PSU when you want to upgrade your computer.
November 23, 2003 1:55:25 AM

Buy the 430 True power. That should hold you for awhile.
November 26, 2003 8:17:53 AM

I just got the 480w TrueBlue (TruePower with a light in it) as it was only $10 Aus more than the 430....that must be about US$6 or something.

Feels like good quality, and now my machine boots quicker as it doesn't wait about a minute for the disks to spin up (apparently that was my problem, has gone away with new PSU).
November 26, 2003 7:46:13 PM

Nice so now you have a blue light PSU.
!