Contract up - renew or float month to month?

Last response: in Network Providers
January 2, 2005 3:45:17 AM

My two year VZW contract expired. Currently I am on America's Choice,
300 minutes plus 30 anytime minutes (promo). Monthly bill is $29.75,
after a corp. employee discount. I rarely go over the allocated minutes.

This was my first cellphone contract, so I am wondering what sort of
considerations determine whether I should renew or just float month to
month.

Arguments against renewing: If rates go down, I could switch to a
cheaper deal. Of course, that would probably require a new contract.

Arguments for renewing: If rates go up, I am locked in at a lower rate.
I could also get a new phone for free or at reduced cost. Currently I
have a Moto V60i. It works fine, but needs a new battery. VZW wants
$40 for a new battery. If I renew for two years, I can get a new Moto
V265 or V260 for $50. Note that I use a cellphone only for calling - I
have no interest in cameras or other toy features.

Are there any other issues that I should consider?

--
Julian Vrieslander
January 2, 2005 3:45:18 AM

If you are happy with what you have, don't change anything. If all
you need is a battery, check on Ebay and I'm sure you'll find one for
less then 40.00

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 00:45:17 GMT, Julian Vrieslander
<julianvREMOVE_THIS_PART@mindspring.com> wrote:

>My two year VZW contract expired. Currently I am on America's Choice,
>300 minutes plus 30 anytime minutes (promo). Monthly bill is $29.75,
>after a corp. employee discount. I rarely go over the allocated minutes.
>
>This was my first cellphone contract, so I am wondering what sort of
>considerations determine whether I should renew or just float month to
>month.
>
>Arguments against renewing: If rates go down, I could switch to a
>cheaper deal. Of course, that would probably require a new contract.
>
>Arguments for renewing: If rates go up, I am locked in at a lower rate.
>I could also get a new phone for free or at reduced cost. Currently I
>have a Moto V60i. It works fine, but needs a new battery. VZW wants
>$40 for a new battery. If I renew for two years, I can get a new Moto
>V265 or V260 for $50. Note that I use a cellphone only for calling - I
>have no interest in cameras or other toy features.
>
>Are there any other issues that I should consider?
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 3:45:18 AM

Julian,
The advice given so far is sound. Even month-to-month they won't
change your plan. I do, however, recommend OEM batteries which I
have found much cheaper, brand new, online. Just Google your
battery number.

I, too, was tempted to 'upgrade' to the v260/265. I tried to get
one for my wife so I could try it out for some time, but she shot
holes through the decision after actually handling the 265. The
v60i is still a contender and with a new battery you'll like it
more.

Bill Radio
http://www.mountainwireless.com

> Arguments for renewing: If rates go up, I am locked in at a
lower rate.
> I could also get a new phone for free or at reduced cost.
Currently I
> have a Moto V60i. It works fine, but needs a new battery. VZW
wants
> $40 for a new battery. If I renew for two years, I can get a
new Moto
> V265 or V260 for $50. Note that I use a cellphone only for
calling - I
> have no interest in cameras or other toy features.

January 2, 2005 3:45:18 AM

In article
<julianvREMOVE_THIS_PART-1C3568.16451001012005@news1.west.earthlink.net>
,
Julian Vrieslander <julianvREMOVE_THIS_PART@mindspring.com> wrote:

> This was my first cellphone contract, so I am wondering what sort of
> considerations determine whether I should renew or just float month
> to month.

Unless you want to get a new phone or want to change plans, and are
required to get a new contract to get that plan, there's no need to sign
a new contract. Wait until you need to sign a new contract.

January 2, 2005 3:45:19 AM

> Unless you want to get a new phone or want to change plans, and are
> required to get a new contract to get that plan, there's no need to sign
> a new contract. Wait until you need to sign a new contract.

My two year contract will be up in a few months. I don't need a new phone
and am happy with my present plan. Do I just continue to use it and do
nothing or do I have to contact Verizon and advise them that I'm going month
to month?

Don in Tracy, Calif.
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 4:23:23 AM

Julian Vrieslander wrote:
> My two year VZW contract expired. Currently I am on America's Choice,
> 300 minutes plus 30 anytime minutes (promo). Monthly bill is $29.75,
> after a corp. employee discount. I rarely go over the allocated minutes.
>
> This was my first cellphone contract, so I am wondering what sort of
> considerations determine whether I should renew or just float month to
> month.
>
> Arguments against renewing: If rates go down, I could switch to a
> cheaper deal. Of course, that would probably require a new contract.
>
> Arguments for renewing: If rates go up, I am locked in at a lower rate.
> I could also get a new phone for free or at reduced cost. Currently I
> have a Moto V60i. It works fine, but needs a new battery. VZW wants
> $40 for a new battery. If I renew for two years, I can get a new Moto
> V265 or V260 for $50. Note that I use a cellphone only for calling - I
> have no interest in cameras or other toy features.
>
> Are there any other issues that I should consider?

Go month to month and see what new phones, service offerings, and new
toys come out until you really need to get a new phone. The rates will
only go down, not up.

Just my $0.02
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 5:11:02 AM

"Julian Vrieslander" <julianvREMOVE_THIS_PART@mindspring.com> wrote in
message
> My two year VZW contract expired. Currently I am on America's Choice,
> 300 minutes plus 30 anytime minutes (promo). Monthly bill is $29.75,
> after a corp. employee discount. I rarely go over the allocated minutes.
>
> This was my first cellphone contract, so I am wondering what sort of
> considerations determine whether I should renew or just float month to
> month.
>
> Arguments against renewing: If rates go down, I could switch to a
> cheaper deal. Of course, that would probably require a new contract.
>
> Arguments for renewing: If rates go up, I am locked in at a lower rate.
> I could also get a new phone for free or at reduced cost. Currently I
> have a Moto V60i. It works fine, but needs a new battery. VZW wants
> $40 for a new battery. If I renew for two years, I can get a new Moto
> V265 or V260 for $50. Note that I use a cellphone only for calling - I
> have no interest in cameras or other toy features.
>
> Are there any other issues that I should consider?
>
> --
> Julian Vrieslander

You stay on your former "plan" when you go month to month so if they raise
the rates, it won't affect you. Anyway, rates are going down, not up.

You could probably pick up a battery on Ebay for a lot less than $40--
though it would be aftermarket, not OEM. I know some people have problems
with them but I've had good luck with the Lithium Ion aftermarket batts I've
bought for cell phones, digital cameras, etc. In fact, the only bad battery
I've ever gotten was a factory battery from VZW-- though they replaced it
immediately with no hassle and gave me a $20 credit on my next bill.

There's probably no point replacing your phone if it's working well and you
like it. OTOH, $50's not much money for a new phone and if you've been
satisfied with service, being in a 2 year contract is OK.

If you do go the new phone route, try negotiating them down to a 1 year
contract with the same price for the phone. I recommend picking out the
fattest, ugliest CSR in the store, flirt shamelessly with her while talking
about a new phone and new service-- then see if you can get a deal....

Ike
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 5:11:03 AM

In article <WKIBd.6264$JC2.696@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
"Ira Hayes" <redmanospam@xxxhotmail.com> wrote:

> If you do go the new phone route, try negotiating them down to a 1
> year contract with the same price for the phone. I recommend picking
> out the fattest, ugliest CSR in the store, flirt shamelessly with her
> while talking about a new phone and new service-- then see if you can
> get a deal....

What if the fattest, ugliest CSR in the store is a guy? Should he flirt
with him?

January 2, 2005 5:11:04 AM

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 23:20:34 -0700, Michelle Steiner
<michelle@michelle.org> wrote:

>In article <WKIBd.6264$JC2.696@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
> "Ira Hayes" <redmanospam@xxxhotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If you do go the new phone route, try negotiating them down to a 1
>> year contract with the same price for the phone. I recommend picking
>> out the fattest, ugliest CSR in the store, flirt shamelessly with her
>> while talking about a new phone and new service-- then see if you can
>> get a deal....
>
>What if the fattest, ugliest CSR in the store is a guy? Should he flirt
>with him?

The first VZW store CSR I signed up with was actually an attractive
young woman. I tried my best. I looked into her eyes, I smiled, I
showed my sense of humor...

....and she sold me the phone and service for the same price she would
have, anyway.

;)

Mike
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 7:00:20 AM

In article <WKIBd.6264$JC2.696@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
"Ira Hayes" <redmanospam@xxxhotmail.com> wrote:

> You stay on your former "plan" when you go month to month so if they raise
> the rates, it won't affect you. Anyway, rates are going down, not up.

That's surprising to me. I would have thought that, after my contract
expired, VZW is free to change my rate as they please.

> You could probably pick up a battery on Ebay for a lot less than $40--
> though it would be aftermarket, not OEM. I know some people have problems
> with them but I've had good luck with the Lithium Ion aftermarket batts I've
> bought for cell phones, digital cameras, etc.

I have read reports that many of the bargain-priced LiIon batteries
advertised on the net are actually out-of-date or out-of-spec. My own
experience with these has been poor.

> If you do go the new phone route, try negotiating them down to a 1 year
> contract with the same price for the phone. I recommend picking out the
> fattest, ugliest CSR in the store, flirt shamelessly with her while talking
> about a new phone and new service-- then see if you can get a deal....

Nice idea, but I'm too old and too ugly to flirt...

In any case, thanks to all for the replies.

--
Julian Vrieslander
Anonymous

> I would have thought that, after my contract
> expired, VZW is free to change my rate as they please.

They are. You are also free to leave. Since they already have you
as a customer, and there are no more customer acquisition costs to
keep you, they will try to encourage you to get back into a contract.
That is why New Every Two exists. It is also one reason why newer
plans are better than the older plans since you can't get on a better
plan without renewing a contract.

They would *much* rather keep you than have you go to another carrier.

Roger
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 10:51:35 AM

RVerDon wrote:
>> Unless you want to get a new phone or want to change plans, and are
>> required to get a new contract to get that plan, there's no need to
>> sign a new contract. Wait until you need to sign a new contract.
>
> My two year contract will be up in a few months. I don't need a new
> phone and am happy with my present plan. Do I just continue to use
> it and do nothing or do I have to contact Verizon and advise them
> that I'm going month to month?

You simply do nothing. They will keep sending you your regular
bill every month -:) .

Also, I have never heard of anyone getting a price change (up or down)
after going month-to-month. Some here are still on plans that haven't
been offered for 6 years or more. Actually I sort of remember where
some people who were with an acquired company being forced to
comparable plans. I think the largest monthly fee change was $5 --
maybe not.

-Quick
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 12:05:41 PM

>You stay on your former "plan" when you go month
>to month so if they raise the rates, it won't affect
>you. Anyway, rates are going down, not up.

So, can you get the current lower rates without taking a new contract?
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 5:08:15 PM

marc cooper wrote:
> Julian Vrieslander wrote:
>
>> My two year VZW contract expired. Currently I am on America's Choice,
>> 300 minutes plus 30 anytime minutes (promo). Monthly bill is $29.75,
>> after a corp. employee discount. I rarely go over the allocated minutes.
>>
>> This was my first cellphone contract, so I am wondering what sort of
>> considerations determine whether I should renew or just float month to
>> month.
>>
>> Arguments against renewing: If rates go down, I could switch to a
>> cheaper deal. Of course, that would probably require a new contract.
>>
>> Arguments for renewing: If rates go up, I am locked in at a lower
>> rate. I could also get a new phone for free or at reduced cost.
>> Currently I have a Moto V60i. It works fine, but needs a new
>> battery. VZW wants $40 for a new battery. If I renew for two years,
>> I can get a new Moto V265 or V260 for $50. Note that I use a
>> cellphone only for calling - I have no interest in cameras or other
>> toy features.
>>
>> Are there any other issues that I should consider?
>>
> Go month to month and see what new phones, service offerings, and new
> toys come out until you really need to get a new phone. The rates will
> only go down, not up.
>
> Just my $0.02

I agree. Verizon is no longer number one with Cingular and AT&T celluar
joining up and with Sprint and Nextel number 3 now. I have been with
Verizon for 7 years now but I am thinking od leaving in febuary if they
do not change their 20/ a line and off peak minutes times. Looking hard
at Sprint because they share services with Version (they make Verizons
Americas choice plan happen) so they coverage is basically the same
between them and Sprint has $10 add a line and 7PM to 7AM off peak for
$5 a month. BTW, I have 3 Verison phones and none of them have a
contract and one of them for about 4 years now.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 10:40:09 AM

RVerDon <anynews@comcast.net> wrote:

> My two year contract will be up in a few months. I don't need a new phone
> and am happy with my present plan. Do I just continue to use it and do
> nothing or do I have to contact Verizon and advise them that I'm going month
> to month?

Don't do anything. Your plan will remain as-is with no contract.

My contract expired a while back, and I've not renewed it because they have
no phones I want that would be worth "exchanging" the discount for another
2-year contract (especially since I'm on a plan priced lower than anything
they currently offer and I never go over my minutes; the only thing I don't
have are mobile-to-mobile "in-network" minutes, but I still never go over).
And I've found that they treat me a *lot* better when I'm not under contract.

Plus, every time I talk to anyone at VZW, they "remind" me that I'm "eligible"
for an equipment upgrade, which gives me another chance to tell them what a
lousy selection of phones they have, and that that is the reason I'm not
interested in a new contract. Though I suppose that'll never do any good.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 07:40:09 -0000, Jeremy Nixon <jeremy@exit109.com>
wrote:

>Plus, every time I talk to anyone at VZW, they "remind" me that I'm "eligible"
>for an equipment upgrade, which gives me another chance to tell them what a
>lousy selection of phones they have, and that that is the reason I'm not
>interested in a new contract. Though I suppose that'll never do any good.

LOL ... I did this the other day .....
!