bg

Hi,
we have a big problem with our network which was caused by an HP printer
which completely screwed up the printing of the other network printer. Long
story, won't go into it, HP support unable to rectify problem. The only way
we can get the pcs in the office back to normal is by doing a system restore
on them. The two that we have been able to do this with are now fine,
however we cannot restore 2 of them to any of the restore points in the past
week. It goes thru the motions, you get the loading bar, but then the
message system cannot be restored. I have tried just about everything that
is mentioned in these newsgroups, and have read all the knowledge base
papers. The system restore is running, I tried it in safe mode, tried every
point for the past week, and the event manager doesn't give any error message
at all. I don't want to turn it off and on again because we need to go back
to that previous point, and I don't want to lose our settings. Is there any
way I can find out what is stopping this or anything else I can do?

Thanks
Wendie

Hi Wendie,

You can try reinstalling System Restore.

How do I reinstall System Restore?
Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the windows\inf folder.
Find the sr.inf file, right click on it and select Install.

If that doesn't work then take look at the troubleshooting tips on
this page.
System Restore Failures to restore.
http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/srfail.html

And you are correct, do not delete any existing restore points unless
all else fails.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

bg wrote:
> Hi,
> we have a big problem with our network which was caused
> by an HP printer which completely screwed up the printing
> of the other network printer. Long story, won't go into
> it, HP support unable to rectify problem. The only way
> we can get the pcs in the office back to normal is by
> doing a system restore on them. The two that we have
> been able to do this with are now fine, however we cannot
> restore 2 of them to any of the restore points in the
> past week. It goes thru the motions, you get the loading
> bar, but then the message system cannot be restored. I
> have tried just about everything that is mentioned in
> these newsgroups, and have read all the knowledge base
> papers. The system restore is running, I tried it in
> safe mode, tried every point for the past week, and the
> event manager doesn't give any error message at all. I
> don't want to turn it off and on again because we need to
> our settings. Is there any way I can find out what is
> stopping this or anything else I can do?
>
> Thanks
> Wendie

bg

Hi Bert,
Thanks for answering. I tried most of the things you listed in your article
but not reinstall system restore. I shall give that a try on Monday when I
am back in the office. I'll cross my fingers and thanks for that advice.
regards
Wendie

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Wendie,
>
> You can try reinstalling System Restore.
>
> How do I reinstall System Restore?
> Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the windows\inf folder.
> Find the sr.inf file, right click on it and select Install.
>
> If that doesn't work then take look at the troubleshooting tips on
> this page.
> System Restore Failures to restore.
> http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/srfail.html
>
> And you are correct, do not delete any existing restore points unless
> all else fails.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> bg wrote:
> > Hi,
> > we have a big problem with our network which was caused
> > by an HP printer which completely screwed up the printing
> > of the other network printer. Long story, won't go into
> > it, HP support unable to rectify problem. The only way
> > we can get the pcs in the office back to normal is by
> > doing a system restore on them. The two that we have
> > been able to do this with are now fine, however we cannot
> > restore 2 of them to any of the restore points in the
> > past week. It goes thru the motions, you get the loading
> > bar, but then the message system cannot be restored. I
> > have tried just about everything that is mentioned in
> > these newsgroups, and have read all the knowledge base
> > papers. The system restore is running, I tried it in
> > safe mode, tried every point for the past week, and the
> > event manager doesn't give any error message at all. I
> > don't want to turn it off and on again because we need to
> > our settings. Is there any way I can find out what is
> > stopping this or anything else I can do?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Wendie

Hi Wendie,

Reinstalling System Restore is harmless, even if that is not the
problem.
Keep us posted.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

bg wrote:
> Hi Bert,
> Thanks for answering. I tried most of the things you
> listed in your article but not reinstall system restore.
> I shall give that a try on Monday when I am back in the
> office. I'll cross my fingers and thanks for that
> advice. regards
> Wendie
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
>> Hi Wendie,
>>
>> You can try reinstalling System Restore.
>>
>> How do I reinstall System Restore?
>> Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the windows\inf
>> folder.
>> Find the sr.inf file, right click on it and select
>> Install.
>>
>> If that doesn't work then take look at the
>> troubleshooting tips on this page.
>> System Restore Failures to restore.
>> http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/srfail.html
>>
>> And you are correct, do not delete any existing restore
>> points unless all else fails.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>
>> bg wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> we have a big problem with our network which was caused
>>> by an HP printer which completely screwed up the
>>> printing of the other network printer. Long story,
>>> won't go into it, HP support unable to rectify problem.
>>> The only way we can get the pcs in the office back to
>>> normal is by doing a system restore on them. The two
>>> that we have been able to do this with are now fine,
>>> however we cannot restore 2 of them to any of the
>>> restore points in the past week. It goes thru the
>>> motions, you get the loading bar, but then the message
>>> system cannot be restored. I have tried just about
>>> everything that is mentioned in these newsgroups, and
>>> have read all the knowledge base papers. The system
>>> restore is running, I tried it in safe mode, tried
>>> every point for the past week, and the event manager
>>> doesn't give any error message at all. I don't want to
>>> turn it off and on again because we need to go back to
>>> that previous point, and I don't want to lose our
>>> settings. Is there any way I can find out what is
>>> stopping this or anything else I can do?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Wendie

bg

Well Bert, it didn't work, BUT I did manage with the help of someone in the
printing forum to sort out the printing queue problem so we are back to
square one. However, I am going to stop and restart the system restore and
start fresh from restore points and hope for the best.

Thanks for all your help
Wendie