More FPS issues with Witcher 2

Howdy!

I know there is a lot of stuff floating around about low FPS in Witcher 2, but I am yet to find something that fixes the problem...
I understand that it is a demanding game at the best of times, and my PC is hardly top notch. I kinda thought I should at least be able to run it at lowest settings fairly well... Alas, this is not the case.
On low settings, I am rarely getting above 20fps, and it frequently drops to around 5-8fps...

The rig I am running it on is as follows:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 840 at 3.20GHz
RAM: 8 GB
GPU: ASUS Radeon HD 6870 1GB
PSU: Antec 900W High Current

Any ideas here?
9 answers Last reply
More about more issues witcher
  1. if you cant run it at low...................UPGRADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!DUH
  2. AND TURN OFF UBERSAMPLING IF THATS ON
  3. KennyC0891 said:
    Howdy!

I know there is a lot of stuff floating around about low FPS in Witcher 2, but I am yet to find something that fixes the problem...
    I understand that it is a demanding game at the best of times, and my PC is hardly top notch. I kinda thought I should at least be able to run it at lowest settings fairly well... Alas, this is not the case.
    On low settings, I am rarely getting above 20fps, and it frequently drops to around 5-8fps...

The rig I am running it on is as follows:
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 840 at 3.20GHz
    RAM: 8 GB
    GPU: ASUS Radeon HD 6870 1GB
    PSU: Antec 900W High Current

Any ideas here?

Make sure you have Ubersampling off, also make sure your game have all the latest updates and install the latest Catalyst drivers on your pc... your rig can do better than 20 fps, check your drivers and updates, that will do it.
  4. Thanks for the ideas chaps, I had already tried all of that to no avail. However, switching to windowed mode rather than full screen made a hell of a difference! Now getting a cruisey 50fps in the more intensive battle scenes. Forgive me, I didn't realise windowed mode could make such a difference!
  5. KennyC0891 said:
    Thanks for the ideas chaps, I had already tried all of that to no avail. However, switching to windowed mode rather than full screen made a hell of a difference! Now getting a cruisey 50fps in the more intensive battle scenes. Forgive me, I didn't realise windowed mode could make such a difference!

What resolution were you playing at before? From the looks of your specs, you shouldn't need to run it in windowed mode to get suitable FPS. Also, probably a dumb question, but I'll go ahead and ask -- have you updated the game with the latest patch? I've read that Nvidia cards are having similar problems with low FPS, so maybe it's got less to do with the graphics drivers and more with the game itself. I myself had some graphics issues -- not low FPS (i have CF 2GB 6950s) but blurring and occasional stuttering -- and the issues cleared up once I updated both the game and my catalyst drivers.
  6. yeah, I ran through all the updates for everything. No luck :/ I was playing at 1600x900, I had tried to switch it down a few but still had the same issues.
    There was a massive improvement the moment I updated the catalyst drivers, the for some reason that just disappeared and the game was back doing the same low FPS. In trawling the net for info, I did read something about some ATI cards not liking full screen in some games, that's what made me try windowed. Maybe ASUS 6870's are in that basket?
  7. Damnit! Now it's doing it again -.- The switch to windowed mode worked for a bit, now it's acting up again...
  8. Do you have any other GPU intensive games that you can try? If so, run them and see if they perform okay. If you are getting poor performance across the board on all titles, that could indicate overheating issues, or a hardware problem. The 6870 should be able to deliver playable framerates at your resolution with no problem. You may want to monitor your temps with HWMonitor. If your CPU or GPU temps are getting too high, one of them could be throttling, causing your performance to plummet.
  9. Unfortunately, Witcher 2 is about the most intensive game (hardware wise) I own at the moment :/
    According to Core Temp, the CPU runs at around the 40* mark when playing Witcher 2, and the GPU runs at around 50*...

I have had a bit of success with updating the motherboard's BIOS, things seem to run a bit smoother at the moment. Also terminated Catalyst, I read about it possibly causing problems with some games.

I will have to see how it goes now, see if it stays running ok!
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Video Games