Best Backup-Restore Software for SBS2003

March 11, 2005 11:54:26 AM

I recently started using SBS2003 and have been using Veritas BackupExec wit
a 4mm Seagate Tape.
VBE has been nothing but trouble. It is unreliable and has many hotfixes and
SP's seem to be making it worse.

I would like to hear about other options for SBS backup and quick restore
features.
Experirence seems the best advice.

Thanks,
Marc
March 11, 2005 11:54:27 AM

"Marc G" wrote:

> I recently started using SBS2003 and have been using Veritas BackupExec wit
> a 4mm Seagate Tape.
> VBE has been nothing but trouble. It is unreliable and has many hotfixes and
> SP's seem to be making it worse.
>
> I would like to hear about other options for SBS backup and quick restore
> features.
> Experirence seems the best advice.
>
> Thanks,
> Marc

I have been using this for about two months now.
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage...
I have not had any trouble with the program very easy to use,thankfully I
haven't had a need to "restore" my system with it so I can't say how that is
but I don't expect any trouble (when) I need to.
If you try this one out you will also need this to burn to DVD if that is
your choice.
http://www.nero.com/en/InCD_4.html
http://www.nero.com/en/InCD_Clean_Tool.html
March 11, 2005 11:54:27 AM

"Marc G" wrote:

> I recently started using SBS2003 and have been using Veritas BackupExec wit
> a 4mm Seagate Tape.
> VBE has been nothing but trouble. It is unreliable and has many hotfixes and
> SP's seem to be making it worse.
>
> I would like to hear about other options for SBS backup and quick restore
> features.
> Experirence seems the best advice.
>
> Thanks,
> Marc

I have been using this for about two months now.
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage...
I have not had any trouble with the program very easy to use,thankfully I
haven't had a need to "restore" my system with it so I can't say how that is
but I don't expect any trouble (when) I need to.
If you try this one out you will also need this to burn to DVD if that is
your choice.
http://www.nero.com/en/InCD_4.html
http://www.nero.com/en/InCD_Clean_Tool.html
March 11, 2005 4:04:31 PM

It is just as easy to restore with TI as to create it.

Suggestion for burning to DVD » create the .tib file in CD size chunks then burn those to DVD. To burn diectly to DVD it must be an RW blank, formatted and limited to 2 Gigs.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"MAP" <MAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7BB6B138-8B63-4B53-ABC0-1FFA637A5DCA@microsoft.com...

| I have been using this for about two months now.
| http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage...
| I have not had any trouble with the program very easy to use,thankfully I
| haven't had a need to "restore" my system with it so I can't say how that is
| but I don't expect any trouble (when) I need to.
| If you try this one out you will also need this to burn to DVD if that is
| your choice.
| http://www.nero.com/en/InCD_4.html
| http://www.nero.com/en/InCD_Clean_Tool.html
March 12, 2005 9:57:03 AM

Part of the full process of 'disaster recovery' is backup. The other,
usually slower part is 'restore'.

If one is backing up to ensure zero loss of data in the event of Hard drive
failure, surely one would want to backup the operating environment as well.

A fast way to backup and also recover is to use Ghost to image [backup] hard
drives to a seond hard drive.

I have used two external USB drives to store weekly images of the sytem
drive. Alternating each week and keeping the USB disks locked away when
not actually being used to image.

It takes about 1/2 hr to restore the image onto a new hard drive if and when
the system drive has failed! Minimal downtime!

!