Computer will not boot up after installing Windows Update.

I had quite a few windows updates to install on my HP pavillion 6736 and
after the updates were complete I restarted the computer and it won't go past
the HP advent screen. It's like the system is locked up or something. When I
turn it off I have to hold the button in for 10 seconds before it shuts down.
The keyboard and mouse are not activated when I turn it on except for a very
brief blink in both of them and that's it. Anyone know how to get back up and
running? It was working perfectly fine until I installed the required
updates. Thanks..
1 answer Last reply
More about computer boot installing windows update

    HP Pavilions that ship with Microsoft Windows XP do
    not come with Recovery CDs. Instead, they use a hidden
    space (partition) on the hard drive to store the recovery
    information.

    Read the following article thoroughly, then follow
    the steps outlined to perform a "non-destructive"
    recovery operation.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07145&product=71013&dlc=en&lang=en

    If a "non-destructive" recovery will not work, then you'll h­ave
    to resort to a "destructive recovery" which will reformat th­e
    drive, thus wiping it clean of all files before Windows XP i­s
    reinstalled.

    Obtaining HP Recovery CDs
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=71013&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bph07143

    Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.ms

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Fearless Ferrell" wrote:

    | I had quite a few windows updates to install on my HP pavillion 6736 and
    | after the updates were complete I restarted the computer and it won't go past
    | the HP advent screen. It's like the system is locked up or something. When I
    | turn it off I have to hold the button in for 10 seconds before it shuts down.
    | The keyboard and mouse are not activated when I turn it on except for a very
    | brief blink in both of them and that's it. Anyone know how to get back up and
    | running? It was working perfectly fine until I installed the required
    | updates. Thanks..

Windows Update Computers Hewlett Packard Windows XP