heretk

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2003
I am currently building my first PC, and wrestling with the choice of a good power supply. I know how important they are and I have researched many brands. But I have a few questions specific to my planned configuration that I need community expertise on.

1. My new config is an AMD XP 1800 1.6GHz, 266MHz FSB, 768 MB PC133 SDRAM, Win2K, ATI Radeon 9200, 48X CDROM, 48X CD-RW, MIS K7t Turbo2 mainboard. Is 350 watts enough? What if I do not plan on overclocking?

2. I know brands like Antec, Fortron and Enermax get rave reviews. But I am on a bit of a budget. I found a deal(?) on the Allied 350W AMD-Approved power supply from a company called Apex. Any thoughts on this product?

Thanks in advance for any input!

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
Is your budget the reason you're opting for a 266 FSB instead of 333? Also, is 36 bucks really too much for a Fortron 350W? Seriously, if you dont have a quality PSU in that system, dont even think about overclocking very far.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Newegg.com has the Fortron Source 350W for $36, it's great quality and has the best features. And it cost less than a meal for the typical family at the typical family restaurant.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Just trying to put the price in perspective.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
I own a fortron powersupply...never had any problems with it; oh and thats over the course of 2.5 years.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by piii_Man on 11/30/03 08:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>