a solo chanter

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

So I started this chanter and he's only lvl 24. I knew they were a pretty
group dependant class, but I've heard a few people say that they are not bad
soloers either. Now, I prefer to have a group, but sometimes there just
aren't any, especially at lower levels. So, what are some strategies for a
solo chanter? Can a chanter solo? I've tried charm kiting, but the charm
always breaks and I usually die before I can recast it, or I recast it but
by that time I've got so many adds that I'm dead anyway (best place I've
found to solo is MS because I have alot of room to run around, but you get
about a million adds there). When I was like 10 or 11 I soloed some giant
bugs in the commonlands by fear kiting (my necro roots showing through) but
without a snare I'd end up running half way across the zone after a bug
which would probably head straight for a guard anyway. From what I've
experienced chanters are not very good soloists at all. Oh, that was kinda
alot of rambling...here's my questions again: What are some strategies for a
solo chanter? Can a chanter solo? What zones (if any) are good for soloing
at 24?

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 12:54:37 GMT, "bob" <dlv88@comcast.net> wrote:

>So I started this chanter and he's only lvl 24. I knew they were a pretty
>group dependant class, but I've heard a few people say that they are not bad
>soloers either. Now, I prefer to have a group, but sometimes there just
>aren't any, especially at lower levels. So, what are some strategies for a
>solo chanter? Can a chanter solo? I've tried charm kiting, but the charm
>always breaks and I usually die before I can recast it, or I recast it but
>by that time I've got so many adds that I'm dead anyway (best place I've
>found to solo is MS because I have alot of room to run around, but you get
>about a million adds there). When I was like 10 or 11 I soloed some giant
>bugs in the commonlands by fear kiting (my necro roots showing through) but
>without a snare I'd end up running half way across the zone after a bug
>which would probably head straight for a guard anyway. From what I've
>experienced chanters are not very good soloists at all. Oh, that was kinda
>alot of rambling...here's my questions again: What are some strategies for a
>solo chanter? Can a chanter solo? What zones (if any) are good for soloing
>at 24?

Get some hp gear,an Embalmers skinning knife(summons bandages),
a Sarnak Backstabber(1 hand piercer, 20/10,no rec level) and a
Tolapumj's Robe(36% haste,Int casters only,cheap).
Set camp in MS in front of Seru,haste yourself and pet(I wouldnt
bother with other buffs except shielding and of course Breeze),pull
hoppers with slow,tank for pet,dot or debuff mob as mana permits.
When your health falls below 70 bind wounds,while medding up at the
same time,all in all very little downtime.You can lessen downtime by
letting your pet tank a little,a little more when you can foresee you
need to bindwound after last mob.I didnt bother with Temp,though
it will help.
Buy a "Dusty girdle of reformed Sand"(Improved damage 4) from all
the hopper hides you get in MS.
I still use this tactic at 45 in Dulak,mobs at zone in fall so fast,I
only need to bw every second one,in fact downtime now is less than in
the twenties in MS due to the powerful(yes!) nukes you have at this
level.

Dont listen to outdated guides,which tell you you're meleeing days are
over at 20 or 30,with the cheap (hp)gear nowadays available in Bazaar
and bw working up to 70% health,situation has radically changed.
Dont listen to people on the main enchanter site :),who tell you
charming is the way to go,constant charm breaks cause tons of wasted
time for getting control again over TWO mobs pounding on you - or
team up with a Druid or Ranger for snare,Druid would be better as they
get ENsnare at lower level.

Playing Ranger(s) :) through most of my EQ carreer,I can tell you
most Rangers would be very happy to find an Enchanter partner,opens
up great possibilities for fearkiting.

I always enjoyed tanking and meleeing with my casters,maybe I am a
little strange. :)

Uland 67,200 Hunter
Melforge 54 Ranger
Meldur 45 Enchanter
Melchord 18 Enchanter

Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote:
> Dont listen to outdated guides,which tell you you're meleeing days are
> over at 20 or 30,with the cheap (hp)gear nowadays available in Bazaar
> and bw working up to 70% health,situation has radically changed.
> Dont listen to people on the main enchanter site :),who tell you
> charming is the way to go,constant charm breaks cause tons of wasted
> time for getting control again over TWO mobs pounding on you - or
> team up with a Druid or Ranger for snare,Druid would be better as they
> get ENsnare at lower level.
But you will have to use charm eventual to move on. ;) Though I don't
know the effect of Sony's charm nerf on lower level chanters. You can't
get the total domination AA so I hope they did balance it that with this
in mind!

Hagen

"Hagen Sienhold" <durragon@web.de> wrote in message
> Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote:
>> Dont listen to outdated guides,which tell you you're meleeing days are
>> over at 20 or 30,with the cheap (hp)gear nowadays available in Bazaar
>> and bw working up to 70% health,situation has radically changed.
>> Dont listen to people on the main enchanter site :),who tell you
>> charming is the way to go,constant charm breaks cause tons of wasted
>> time for getting control again over TWO mobs pounding on you - or
>> team up with a Druid or Ranger for snare,Druid would be better as they
>> get ENsnare at lower level.
> But you will have to use charm eventual to move on. ;) Though I don't
> know the effect of Sony's charm nerf on lower level chanters. You can't
> get the total domination AA so I hope they did balance it that with this
> in mind!
>

> Hagen

At 49 onward, a chanter can solo quite easily with the animation tanking.
Not sure if its possible at an earlier level, I was 49 when I discovered how
tough the animation was.

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 08:18:15 GMT, "Vladesch"
<vladeschxxxx@bigxxxxxpond.net.auxxx> wrote:

>"Hagen Sienhold" <durragon@web.de> wrote in message
>> Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote:
>>> Dont listen to outdated guides,which tell you you're meleeing days are
>>> over at 20 or 30,with the cheap (hp)gear nowadays available in Bazaar
>>> and bw working up to 70% health,situation has radically changed.
>>> Dont listen to people on the main enchanter site :),who tell you
>>> charming is the way to go,constant charm breaks cause tons of wasted
>>> time for getting control again over TWO mobs pounding on you - or
>>> team up with a Druid or Ranger for snare,Druid would be better as they
>>> get ENsnare at lower level.
>> But you will have to use charm eventual to move on. ;) Though I don't
>> know the effect of Sony's charm nerf on lower level chanters. You can't
>> get the total domination AA so I hope they did balance it that with this
>> in mind!
>>

>> Hagen
>
>At 49 onward, a chanter can solo quite easily with the animation tanking.
>Not sure if its possible at an earlier level, I was 49 when I discovered how
>tough the animation was.

Not so sure about letting the animation tank.Granted my Enc is only
45.When I let the pet tank in Dulak at zone in,it dies when the mob
still has 70% health,so as mentioned above I think its a much better
tactic to let the Enchanter tank himself.

When I upgrade my Enchanter I never look for Int,but hp gear.
At 45 I have 1500 hps unbuffed and 150 Int,did anyone ever notice
that I have "only" 150 Int ? - No :).
I never understood why people are proud to have 255 Int at low levels,
if you dont raid,it doesnt matter,and it wont make you regenerate mana
faster. :)

Meldur 45 Enchanter

In <bzPzd.90004$K7.21671@news-server.bigpond.net.au> "Vladesch" <vladeschxxxx@bigxxxxxpond.net.auxxx> writes:

> At 49 onward, a chanter can solo quite easily with the animation tanking.
> Not sure if its possible at an earlier level, I was 49 when I discovered how
> tough the animation was.

What's the last level you soloed with the animation tanking? At 68, dark
blues eat axes for breakfast.

--
John Gordon "It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese."
gordon@panix.com

John Gordon <gordon@panix.com> wrote in

> In <bzPzd.90004$K7.21671@news-server.bigpond.net.au> "Vladesch"
> <vladeschxxxx@bigxxxxxpond.net.auxxx> writes:
>
>> At 49 onward, a chanter can solo quite easily with the animation
>> tanking. Not sure if its possible at an earlier level, I was 49 when
>> I discovered how tough the animation was.
>
> What's the last level you soloed with the animation tanking? At 68,
> dark blues eat axes for breakfast.

PoP is usually the death knell for having the pet solo much, at least until
you get a 66+ pet. I don't know if Enchanters get one at that level off
hand. I know that my pup pre OOW was unable to tank PoP mobs in general,
but, the OOW one can do so just fine for tier 1 PoP mobs.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 19 Dwarven Shaman, 17 Scholar

Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 23:44:39 +0100, Hagen Sienhold <durragon@web.de>
> Even at 60+ levels I see no reason to sacrifice survivability(hps)
> for a larger manapool,maybe on raids(Holding the exploding spiders
> at MB event for example).
> While doing the normal everyday xp grind,there really is no need for
> chain casting mezzes,and even if you need to(but noone is doing Ldons
> anymore and a better tactic would be to pacify instead of mezzing),
> while the mob is mezzed with Bliss,you easily get nearly double the
> mana back in this time.
> I just checked Bliss on Allakhazam,its 300 mana and lasts 54 seconds,
> an average keied Enchanter at 60+ gets 60 mana every 6 seconds while
> medding or sitting on a horse.So you get a surplus from 240 mana !
Hm, you did not get my point. I don't argue for a better mana pool with
mezzing one mob. Heck even a necro could mezz that when they weren't
driven out of mezz business by the levelcap.

I talk about 5+ mobs in camp. The last time I had that I helped a rogue
with the epic fight in Freeport. (1.5 Epic) We were just short of 2
groups and not even VT equipped. Though the mobs might be mezzable with
the 61 mezz they definitely weren't mezzable with GoK (54).
Sure these aren't your day to day fights but you wouldn't argue that the
usual single pull exp group is a real test for any char, would you? :D

> So my sequence when looking for upgrades for my Enc or Cle is:

> 1) Focus gear
> 2) FT gear (at 55+)
> 3) Hp gear
> 4) Dex (for cleric)
> Int,Wis or mana comes automatically.
Though I find this list quite appropriate. :)

Hagen

P.S.: Your mana calculation is somewhat wierd. A lvl60 Enchanter regens
25/Tick due to meditate skill. Given KEI with 14/Tick leaves me with
21/Tick short of your calculated 60/Tick. So without BST&DRU buffs he
better has one hell of a lot FT gear. ;)
Or do I miss something?

And an enchanter on a horse....brr. Never ever would I try that when you
have a critical situation. But that's just me. :)

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:41:35 +0100, Hagen Sienhold <durragon@web.de>
wrote:

>Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote:
>> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 23:44:39 +0100, Hagen Sienhold <durragon@web.de>
>> Even at 60+ levels I see no reason to sacrifice survivability(hps)
>> for a larger manapool,maybe on raids(Holding the exploding spiders
>> at MB event for example).
>> While doing the normal everyday xp grind,there really is no need for
>> chain casting mezzes,and even if you need to(but noone is doing Ldons
>> anymore and a better tactic would be to pacify instead of mezzing),
>> while the mob is mezzed with Bliss,you easily get nearly double the
>> mana back in this time.
>> I just checked Bliss on Allakhazam,its 300 mana and lasts 54 seconds,
>> an average keied Enchanter at 60+ gets 60 mana every 6 seconds while
>> medding or sitting on a horse.So you get a surplus from 240 mana !
>Hm, you did not get my point. I don't argue for a better mana pool with
>mezzing one mob. Heck even a necro could mezz that when they weren't
>driven out of mezz business by the levelcap.
>
>I talk about 5+ mobs in camp. The last time I had that I helped a rogue
>with the epic fight in Freeport. (1.5 Epic) We were just short of 2
>groups and not even VT equipped. Though the mobs might be mezzable with
>the 61 mezz they definitely weren't mezzable with GoK (54).
>Sure these aren't your day to day fights but you wouldn't argue that the
>usual single pull exp group is a real test for any char, would you? :D

Exactly what I mean,most of the time the average EQ player is not
raiding or killing Epic mobs,much more of a concern for the average
Enchanter would be to survive the aggro he gets from resisted slows.

>> So my sequence when looking for upgrades for my Enc or Cle is:
>
>> 1) Focus gear
>> 2) FT gear (at 55+)
>> 3) Hp gear
>> 4) Dex (for cleric)
>> Int,Wis or mana comes automatically.
>Though I find this list quite appropriate. :)
>

>Hagen
>
>P.S.: Your mana calculation is somewhat wierd. A lvl60 Enchanter regens
>25/Tick due to meditate skill. Given KEI with 14/Tick leaves me with
>21/Tick short of your calculated 60/Tick. So without BST&DRU buffs he
>better has one hell of a lot FT gear. ;)
>Or do I miss something?

Hm,just did the calculation again with my 65 cleric:
25 from simply medding
11 from self buff
9 from FT gear
14 from Kei

Was making the assumption,Enc self buff has mana regeneration too,
I admit that was wrong.But usually there is at least one Druid or Bst
in a group,so around 60/tick isnt complety wrong.

>And an enchanter on a horse....brr. Never ever would I try that when you
>have a critical situation. But that's just me. :)

I see your point here. :)

Meldur

Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in

> On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:41:35 +0100, Hagen Sienhold <durragon@web.de>
> wrote:
>
>>Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote:
>>> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 23:44:39 +0100, Hagen Sienhold <durragon@web.de>
>>> Even at 60+ levels I see no reason to sacrifice survivability(hps)
>>> for a larger manapool,maybe on raids(Holding the exploding spiders
>>> at MB event for example).
>>> While doing the normal everyday xp grind,there really is no need for
>>> chain casting mezzes,and even if you need to(but noone is doing Ldons
>>> anymore and a better tactic would be to pacify instead of mezzing),
>>> while the mob is mezzed with Bliss,you easily get nearly double the
>>> mana back in this time.
>>> I just checked Bliss on Allakhazam,its 300 mana and lasts 54 seconds,
>>> an average keied Enchanter at 60+ gets 60 mana every 6 seconds while
>>> medding or sitting on a horse.So you get a surplus from 240 mana !
>>Hm, you did not get my point. I don't argue for a better mana pool with
>>mezzing one mob. Heck even a necro could mezz that when they weren't
>>driven out of mezz business by the levelcap.
>>
>>I talk about 5+ mobs in camp. The last time I had that I helped a rogue
>>with the epic fight in Freeport. (1.5 Epic) We were just short of 2
>>groups and not even VT equipped. Though the mobs might be mezzable with
>>the 61 mezz they definitely weren't mezzable with GoK (54).
>>Sure these aren't your day to day fights but you wouldn't argue that
the
>>usual single pull exp group is a real test for any char, would you? :D
>
> Exactly what I mean,most of the time the average EQ player is not
> raiding or killing Epic mobs,much more of a concern for the average
> Enchanter would be to survive the aggro he gets from resisted slows.
>
>>> So my sequence when looking for upgrades for my Enc or Cle is:
>>
>>> 1) Focus gear
>>> 2) FT gear (at 55+)
>>> 3) Hp gear
>>> 4) Dex (for cleric)
>>> Int,Wis or mana comes automatically.
>>Though I find this list quite appropriate. :)
>>

>>Hagen
>>
>>P.S.: Your mana calculation is somewhat wierd. A lvl60 Enchanter regens
>>25/Tick due to meditate skill. Given KEI with 14/Tick leaves me with
>>21/Tick short of your calculated 60/Tick. So without BST&DRU buffs he
>>better has one hell of a lot FT gear. ;)
>>Or do I miss something?
>
> Hm,just did the calculation again with my 65 cleric:
> 25 from simply medding
> 11 from self buff
> 9 from FT gear
> 14 from Kei
>
> Was making the assumption,Enc self buff has mana regeneration too,
> I admit that was wrong.But usually there is at least one Druid or Bst
> in a group,so around 60/tick isnt complety wrong.
>
>>And an enchanter on a horse....brr. Never ever would I try that when
you
>>have a critical situation. But that's just me. :)
>
> I see your point here. :)

FT9 is probably a lot to assume an enchanter has at 60+. Personally, as
a Shaman, I have FT15, with extra for when I get the AAs to use it, but,
I am in a raiding guild. I am often in a group with no Druid, Enchanter,
or Beastlord, so, am dependant on what I have for mana regen buffs coming
into the group.

You did leave out 3 mana regen from AAs, as MC3 is extrememly common to
have.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 19 Dwarven Shaman, 17 Scholar

On 28 Dec 2004 20:13:48 GMT, Graeme Faelban
<RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:

>Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in
>
>> On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:41:35 +0100, Hagen Sienhold <durragon@web.de>
>> wrote:

>>>Hm, you did not get my point. I don't argue for a better mana pool with
>>>mezzing one mob. Heck even a necro could mezz that when they weren't
>>>driven out of mezz business by the levelcap.
>>>
>>>I talk about 5+ mobs in camp. The last time I had that I helped a rogue
>>>with the epic fight in Freeport. (1.5 Epic) We were just short of 2
>>>groups and not even VT equipped. Though the mobs might be mezzable with
>>>the 61 mezz they definitely weren't mezzable with GoK (54).
>>>Sure these aren't your day to day fights but you wouldn't argue that
>the
>>>usual single pull exp group is a real test for any char, would you? :D
>>
>> Exactly what I mean,most of the time the average EQ player is not
>> raiding or killing Epic mobs,much more of a concern for the average
>> Enchanter would be to survive the aggro he gets from resisted slows.

>>>Though I find this list quite appropriate. :)
>>>

>>>Hagen
>>>
>>>P.S.: Your mana calculation is somewhat wierd. A lvl60 Enchanter regens
>>>25/Tick due to meditate skill. Given KEI with 14/Tick leaves me with
>>>21/Tick short of your calculated 60/Tick. So without BST&DRU buffs he
>>>better has one hell of a lot FT gear. ;)
>>>Or do I miss something?
>>
>> Hm,just did the calculation again with my 65 cleric:
>> 25 from simply medding
>> 11 from self buff
>> 9 from FT gear
>> 14 from Kei
>>
>> Was making the assumption,Enc self buff has mana regeneration too,
>> I admit that was wrong.But usually there is at least one Druid or Bst
>> in a group,so around 60/tick isnt complety wrong.
>>
>>>And an enchanter on a horse....brr. Never ever would I try that when
>you
>>>have a critical situation. But that's just me. :)
>>
>> I see your point here. :)
>>

>FT9 is probably a lot to assume an enchanter has at 60+. Personally, as
>a Shaman, I have FT15, with extra for when I get the AAs to use it, but,
>I am in a raiding guild. I am often in a group with no Druid, Enchanter,
>or Beastlord, so, am dependant on what I have for mana regen buffs coming
>into the group.

Ok,my 65 cleric was somewhat twinked in the sense ,that he didnt earn
most of his equipment by himself,especially the 2 FT2 wristbands for
20k a piece he wouldnt have without sponsoring by my main(Ranger 65
at that time).
The rest came from adventure-points-bought augments,especially the
chest only FT2 augment is a real bargain for only 510 points(+ the
necessary BP from Ldon).
(I know noone is doing Ldon anymore,cause the experience is really
baaad,rofl.Sometimes I wonder what people expect,getting 2 blue bars
for 1 *normal* adventure in the mid fifties looks about right to me.)
And it is true he couldnt get the FT 1 item from Hollowshade at level
1 without a little outside help. :)

Mheldur 65 Cleric
Uland 67 Hunter

Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote:
> (I know noone is doing Ldon anymore,cause the experience is really
> baaad,rofl.Sometimes I wonder what people expect,getting 2 blue bars
> for 1 *normal* adventure in the mid fifties looks about right to me.)

Exactly. And it beats the boredom of camping whatever spot you name. And
the argument....but the ZEM in xyz - well when you need minutes to
dispose of one mob the ZEM doesn't really matter. Yesterday I got an
invite into a PoN group with my 52 necro. Fine I thought. Never been to
the planes with this char. A few mobs later I got tells from the shaman
who told me it is unbelievable how fast mobs were dropping now. And I
thought it was slow! :p

So, unless I know every mob in the ldon dungeons by their first name I'm
willing to go there anytime. :)

Hagen

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 10:08:29 +0100, Hagen Sienhold <durragon@web.de>
wrote:

>Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote:
>> (I know noone is doing Ldon anymore,cause the experience is really
>> baaad,rofl.Sometimes I wonder what people expect,getting 2 blue bars
>> for 1 *normal* adventure in the mid fifties looks about right to me.)
>
>Exactly. And it beats the boredom of camping whatever spot you name. And
>the argument....but the ZEM in xyz - well when you need minutes to
>dispose of one mob the ZEM doesn't really matter. Yesterday I got an
>invite into a PoN group with my 52 necro. Fine I thought. Never been to
>the planes with this char. A few mobs later I got tells from the shaman
>who told me it is unbelievable how fast mobs were dropping now. And I
>thought it was slow! :p
>
>So, unless I know every mob in the ldon dungeons by their first name I'm
>willing to go there anytime. :)

Point being,never ever do I look on my xp bar when doing an
adventure,thats how EQ should be,not pure xp grind.
But on AB its nearly impossible to find a Ldon group for my
55 Ranger there.Can you imagine,that I cant get the 40 points
for the 40 damge proc from Tak,13 points there, or the 75 damage
proc from Miraguls,39 points there ?
Thats what I mean when I "whine" about EQ1 unplayable since
EQ2 in my other posts,and will make me leave when WoW is
released in Europe.

Melforge 55,2 Ranger

> On 28 Dec 2004 20:13:48 GMT, Graeme Faelban
> <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>>Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in

>>> Exactly what I mean,most of the time the average EQ player is not
>>> raiding or killing Epic mobs,much more of a concern for the average
>>> Enchanter would be to survive the aggro he gets from resisted slows.

>>> Hm,just did the calculation again with my 65 cleric:
>>> 25 from simply medding
>>> 11 from self buff
>>> 9 from FT gear
>>> 14 from Kei
>>>
>>> Was making the assumption,Enc self buff has mana regeneration too,
>>> I admit that was wrong.But usually there is at least one Druid or
>>> Bst in a group,so around 60/tick isnt complety wrong.

>>> I see your point here. :)
>>>

>>FT9 is probably a lot to assume an enchanter has at 60+. Personally,
>>as a Shaman, I have FT15, with extra for when I get the AAs to use it,
>>but, I am in a raiding guild. I am often in a group with no Druid,
>>Enchanter, or Beastlord, so, am dependant on what I have for mana
>>regen buffs coming into the group.
>
> Ok,my 65 cleric was somewhat twinked in the sense ,that he didnt earn
> most of his equipment by himself,especially the 2 FT2 wristbands for
> 20k a piece he wouldnt have without sponsoring by my main(Ranger 65
> at that time).
> The rest came from adventure-points-bought augments,especially the
> chest only FT2 augment is a real bargain for only 510 points(+ the
> necessary BP from Ldon).
> (I know noone is doing Ldon anymore,cause the experience is really
> baaad,rofl.Sometimes I wonder what people expect,getting 2 blue bars
> for 1 *normal* adventure in the mid fifties looks about right to me.)
> And it is true he couldnt get the FT 1 item from Hollowshade at level
> 1 without a little outside help. :)

You are assuming that a person does quite a few LDoNs. Personally, I
find them rather boring anymore, and I have earned nowhere near enough
points to get all the FT gear available from LDoN. I still do them once
in a while, as it beats no group at all...