How safe is WAP

How safe is WAP? New to the wireless stuff. If I had a choice do I use
WEP or something else? Right now my network sharing is my entire pc
drives A, C, D, E, H on 2 of my pc's.
6 answers Last reply
More about safe

    On 12 Aug 2005 18:17:05 -0700, "WFF" <computer32@wefindfriends.com>
    wrote:

    >How safe is WAP?

    About as safe as one can be. To the best of my knowledge, nobody has
    ever been hurt using WAP.

    >New to the wireless stuff. If I had a choice do I use
    >WEP or something else? Right now my network sharing is my entire pc
    >drives A, C, D, E, H on 2 of my pc's.

    WEP64 and WEP128 can easily be cracked. So far, only very weak pass
    phrases in WPA have been cracked.

    # http://802.11junk.com
    # jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
    # jeffl@cruzio.com AE6KS

    WFF wrote:
    > How safe is WAP? New to the wireless stuff. If I had a choice do I use
    > WEP or something else? Right now my network sharing is my entire pc
    > drives A, C, D, E, H on 2 of my pc's.

    I'd go with WPA instead of WEP -- much safer.

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:46:32 -0400, Shadowman <Shadowman@go.away>
    wrote:

    >WFF wrote:
    >> How safe is WAP? New to the wireless stuff. If I had a choice do I use
    >> WEP or something else? Right now my network sharing is my entire pc
    >> drives A, C, D, E, H on 2 of my pc's.
    >>
    >I'd go with WPA instead of WEP -- much safer.

    I'll second the motion on this, and add that WPA was much easier
    to set up and get operating smoothly than was my WEP attempt. I
    had a notebook with an older 802.11b wireless adapter that
    wouldn't handle WPA so I tried setting my home network up, using
    WEP. It would work fine until one of the computers went into
    sleep mode. This computer would drop the link and the only ways
    to bring it back alive was to either re-boot or key in the
    passphrase and click on the connect button.

    I trashed the 802.11b notebook adapter and replaced it with an
    802.11g, then re-structured my home network for WPA encryption.
    This has been working flawlessly for more than a week. It even
    survived a thunder storm that had the lights blinking and the
    computers falling back to their UPS power.

    "WFF" <computer32@wefindfriends.com> wrote in

    > How safe is WAP? New to the wireless stuff. If I had a choice do I
    > use WEP or something else?

    WPA-PSK with TKIP is very safe. I am not aware of any reports that it
    has been cracked, and it contains several safeguards against attack.

    It is important to use a strong passphrase - the usual recommenstaion
    is 20 characters or more, consisting of non-dictionary words.

    WPA encryption based on a PSK (Pre Shared Key) has been cracked, but
    only with weak (ether very short or short dictionary words), but not
    TKIP which changes the encryption key frequently.

    If your hardware and firmware / device drivers support it, WPA2 is
    even stronger - it uses AES encryption for which no attacks are
    known.

    Hope this helps

    --

    Richard Perkin
    To email me, change the AT in the address below

    is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
    It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.

    On 12 Aug 2005 18:17:05 -0700, "WFF" <computer32@wefindfriends.com> wrote:

    >How safe is WAP?

    Wireless Access Points use very low power so they are safe.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    Taking a moment's reflection, WFF mused:

    | Right now my network sharing is my entire pc
    | drives A, C, D, E, H on 2 of my pc's.

    Other than adding to the others recommending WPA over WEP, I will
    add that sharing your entire drive(s) is *very* insecure. Should
    someone get on your LAN, they would have complete access to your
    system(s). You should only share those folders that you need to share.
    For example, I have one folder "C:\Shared" on each of my computers and
    notebooks that are shared on the network. That way, no matter which one
    I am using, I can drop or pull files from the others' folder. Also,
    UltraVNC allows me to remotely control any of the computers from the
    others.

Wireless Wireless Access Internet Wireless Networking