Windows XP Home stops loading before icons appear

I returned to my desktop computer to find my desktop background was there but
all the icons and the start up bar had disappeared. I tried to switch off and
found the button did not respond. I switched off at the back of the computer
then switched on again - it loaded quite normally until the desktop
reappeared but still no icons or taskbar. My mouse arrow is there. I have
repeated the process but it was just the same. Does anyone know where to go
from here? Any help much appreciated. I am writing from my laptop.

Eric Hardy
4 answers Last reply
More about windows home stops loading icons appear

    A couple more things: Having read a few of the other messages I tried holding
    the off button for about 10 seconds and that worked. Has not cured problem
    though. Something is working inside the computer because the power saving
    comes in at the appropriate time. I have tried to start in safe mode but
    pressing F8 is not having any effect.

    Eric Hardy

    "Eric Hardy" wrote:

    > I returned to my desktop computer to find my desktop background was there but
    > all the icons and the start up bar had disappeared. I tried to switch off and
    > found the button did not respond. I switched off at the back of the computer
    > then switched on again - it loaded quite normally until the desktop
    > reappeared but still no icons or taskbar. My mouse arrow is there. I have
    > repeated the process but it was just the same. Does anyone know where to go
    > from here? Any help much appreciated. I am writing from my laptop.
    >
    > Eric Hardy

    You could try Item 195 right pane on this page:

    Eric Hardy wrote:
    > I returned to my desktop computer to find my desktop background was there but
    > all the icons and the start up bar had disappeared. I tried to switch off and
    > found the button did not respond. I switched off at the back of the computer
    > then switched on again - it loaded quite normally until the desktop
    > reappeared but still no icons or taskbar. My mouse arrow is there. I have
    > repeated the process but it was just the same. Does anyone know where to go
    > from here? Any help much appreciated. I am writing from my laptop.
    >
    > Eric Hardy

    Thanks Dave for troubling to write. I clicked the link and downloaded the
    file but I have not opened it because I suddenly thought that perhaps it
    would tweak the registry of my laptop and not give me the answer to my
    desktop problem - or am I wrong? I can't operate the desktop, I can only
    stare at the picture I use as the background. I just didn't want the laptop
    to have problems at the same time. Reading the onscreen instructions I wasn't
    sure

    "DaveDouglas" wrote:

    > You could try Item 195 right pane on this page:
    >
    > Eric Hardy wrote:
    > > I returned to my desktop computer to find my desktop background was there but
    > > all the icons and the start up bar had disappeared. I tried to switch off and
    > > found the button did not respond. I switched off at the back of the computer
    > > then switched on again - it loaded quite normally until the desktop
    > > reappeared but still no icons or taskbar. My mouse arrow is there. I have
    > > repeated the process but it was just the same. Does anyone know where to go
    > > from here? Any help much appreciated. I am writing from my laptop.
    > >
    > > Eric Hardy

    Dear Dave, This is to let you know that (after 3 days) problem solved. I
    couldn't even get into safe mode but eventually I put my windows xp disk in
    and kept pressing delete rapidly until the screen appeared. I followed
    through the instructions, some windows loaded then I was told that if I
    continued I would lose all data. I thought better of it and decided to exit.
    I was told to remove disk and it would reboot in 15 seconds. When it did, to
    my delight, all was repaired! Two questions anybody. (1) What could cause the
    trouble in the first place? (2) Why, when I decided to quit and not continue
    well! Thanks, Eric Hardy
    "DaveDouglas" wrote:

    > You could try Item 195 right pane on this page:
    >
    > Eric Hardy wrote:
    > > I returned to my desktop computer to find my desktop background was there but
    > > all the icons and the start up bar had disappeared. I tried to switch off and
    > > found the button did not respond. I switched off at the back of the computer
    > > then switched on again - it loaded quite normally until the desktop
    > > reappeared but still no icons or taskbar. My mouse arrow is there. I have
    > > repeated the process but it was just the same. Does anyone know where to go
    > > from here? Any help much appreciated. I am writing from my laptop.
    > >
    > > Eric Hardy

Icons Desktops Windows XP