Whack

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2003
Hey, im a noobie here but i have been looking around at a lot of different overclocking forums and am wondering if anybody else has shared my incredible idea... Instead of spending 50 bucks on a fan/heatsink that will circulate 10 cubic feet more air, in an effort to attain a temperature as close to ambient room temp as possible...why not just lower the ambient temp.

Basically, cool your computer with a friggin a/c unit. One can be bought cheap, or torn out of just about any old fridge, or car, or whatever. (bought for less than 50 bucks) With the old fans and sinks and whatever still in place, this simple mod will significantly drop the operating temperature of ones pc.

What do you think? Am i crazy/stupid? Or is this a feasable idea for someone who is seriously interested in ocing (or even just maintaining excellent stability) and needs something ice cold without spending 200+ dollars on refrigerated cases and/or liquid/phase change/whatever cooling.

Talk to me, or discuss amonst yourselves.

Whack.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
It has been thought before...but remember the fridge must be able to disipate over +200w (overclocked cpu, gpu, chipset, vrms, hd powersupply..the works). If you can find a minifridge that does that then good luck, you still have to work on the mater of routing the cables and the uglyness factor. I think i'll just stick with a good old fashioned peltier.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

Whack

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2003
I appreciate your reply. Point taken.

For simplicity sake, i can see why one would choose to stick with what is tried and true. That is not where my interest lies though. I like to make things.

I am not talking about a minifridge, though in my subject line i did include that word, it was to help understand my subject. The type of a/c im considering is somewhat more substantial than a minifridge, more along the lines of the power of a deepfreeze.(but not going below 0)

But regardless, if someone wanted a cooling solution, and had some time and interest on their hands, any type of a/c would far surpass what can be done with fans and heatsinks alone. The beauty is, it expands upon them.

(Im sorry for talking like this is a new revelation, but it is to me. Feel free to point out any and all flaws with my plan. I like to discuss.)

Whack

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i have considered running a window mounted ac and ducting the air into my case. only problem is those things take a lot of electricity and still can only drop the temp by about 20 degrees. its just not worth it. a pelt does a much better job of keeping chips cool. thats the only thing you really need to keep substantialy cold anyway.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015