Question about a caseless computer

jabberwhacky

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'd very much like to forego a case on my secondary computer. Right now I plan on screwing it into the underside of the higher part of my desk. There's a couple pictures at the link I gave. In the 4th picture, where it shows a person raising the top, it shows a computer box going up the center, where my desk does not have that. It's flat on the top and bottom.

I'd also like to know if I need to do anything special to "ground" the components. I have lots of those spacer screws that raise the motherboard off of the back of the case and planned to screw those into the desk to give the MB some room to breath. Is this enough, or are more steps needed?

So, I have a few questions. I plan on putting a monitor on top and didn't know if that'd futz up any of my computer parts. The way I want my MB (hung upside down) it'd be directly under the monitor, with about 6 inches between the board and the bottom of the monitor screen. If it couldn't handle being that close, would putting a phone book (or equivalent) under the monitor space it out enough to prevent damage to the components beneath? I don't really care where the hard drive and powersupply sit (or hang) in that middle shelf area, I'm just concerned about the monitor blasting them.

After that gets worked out, I'd like to know where I can find a switch to plug into the MB to power it up. I was thinking of getting one of those cool military-style switches (like the one here http://store.yahoo.com/xoxide/militaryswitch.html). But I don't know where to find the wire to connect the motherboard (Abit KT7) to that nifty switch.

Thanks in advance.

Here's the desk:
http://www.officemax.com/max/solutions/product/prodBlock.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&expansionOID=-536897596&prodBlockOID=50841

DOHCrazy

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2003
Its not a bad idea, but has potential for alot to go wrong, you can buy cases these days small enough to fit inside a file drawer. Have you looked into something like that?

<A HREF="http://aao.sudden-death.org/3dMarkScore.gif" target="_new">System Specs</A>

<font color=green>I have a Brand NEW Sapphire 9600pro for sale.</font color=green>

jabberwhacky

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Haven't thought about those. This idea appealed to me because I didn't have to pay for a case and I could have that "cool" factor of lifting up a piece of my desk to reveal a computer. I think that I'd go with a regular tower if it turns out that there is too much risk doing the sub-monitor setup.

jabberwhacky

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Can anyone at least tell me how I can rig a switch to turn the computer on? None of the 3 cases I have want to give up their on/off so I'm stuck buying one.

Now that I think about it, is there some way to start the computer by connecting the pins? I don't know why but I'm getting a visual of using a screwdriver to start a computer.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
ya you can run outside of a case...and you can start with a screwdriver...

Short the power sw pins on the mobo and thats it...

The fcc won't like your idea but i have running my comp on an antistatic bag for the past 4 months with no prob. Also the monitor is so well sheilded i doubt anything will happen to your mobo...if you are really freaked out put some sort of metal plate between the mobo and monitor...

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

rahimiv

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2003
Or use an LCD monitor.... be careful though if you hit the vidcard by accident you will say goodbye to the card (or the motherboard)

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
6 inches of air and wood is a long way for heat to travel if that is what you are worried about. Otherwise it sounds like a pretty neat idea. Post some pics when its done.

I don't understand why you can't liberate one of the switches from your old cases? Go to the local dump and pull a switch out of one of the old cases there, they should work.

<b><font color=red>Go date P4man or something, bye!</font color=red><b>

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
That switch won't work because it's an SPST (single-pole, single-throw) switch. It's ON one way and OFF the other. For ATX systems, the switch needs to be a momentary contact switch. Usually they are pushbutton, but I'm sure it comes in that style if you want the toggle and cover.

Any hunk of wire will work to connect it - as long as you don't short anything out on the way of course. :evil: I'd cut the wire off an old case to get the black connector at the end, or you can probably get connectors to make your own.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>