Why Do Cut Scenes in PC Games Look Bad?

Tags:
  • Final Fantasy
  • Games
  • Monitors
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
December 23, 2011 3:50:48 PM

They look like they're in 360p in every-single-game. I remember when I played final fantasy 13 (ah, bad comparison) a year and a half ago on my pc, using my pc monitor, and they looked fantastic. Whenever I play a game such as Arkham City or Deus Ex they look 10x worse than the actual game.

So, Why Do Cut Scenes in PC Games Look Bad?

More about : cut scenes games bad

Best solution

a c 196 C Monitor
December 24, 2011 7:51:39 AM

Because they are encoded videos at low resolution and then stretch to fill your screen. Most likely they are Bink videos. Bink doesn't exactly do a good job at encoding videos (there are better video codecs), but it's been around for a long time and have been used in games for cut scenes for a long time.
December 24, 2011 3:54:38 PM

nihilite said:
They look like they're in 360p in every-single-game. I remember when I played final fantasy 13 (ah, bad comparison) a year and a half ago on my pc, using my pc monitor, and they looked fantastic. Whenever I play a game such as Arkham City or Deus Ex they look 10x worse than the actual game.

So, Why Do Cut Scenes in PC Games Look Bad?

I noticed this as well..There a lot of PC games with bad cinematics..Usually the pre-renderred trailers really looked good but the in game cinematics is worst that the actual gameplay.

Best example is Deus Ex Human Revolution - it has a sick trailer that can pass for a movie but the in game cinematics look like the characters are taken from a Lego game.

Another example is Hitman Blood Money, there are others, I just cant remember..
Score
Related resources
December 26, 2011 4:19:48 PM

This is a bizzare reversal of roles for me. I never thought gameplay looked as good as cutscenes.
Score
December 26, 2011 6:00:18 PM

As Jaguar mentioned -- they are pretty low resolution compressed videos because High res or uncompressed video would require a lot of Disk space which would mean more download bandwidth used to distribute the online version or more DVD space used for retail versions which cuts into the profit margins.
Score
January 5, 2012 3:35:19 AM

Best answer selected by nihilite.
Score
!