SethMoney

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2003
Okay, so it didn't explode, but I was NOT happy.

I woke up at 1:30 am to hear my computer making weird clicking noises. I powered down and savagedly opened it up and unplugged the floppy.. reboot. Okay everythings running fine, no clicking. Lets see what happens if I plug my floppy drive back in while its running. NOTE: BAD IDEA.
I plug the power into my floppy, and I watch the spark shoot in indicating the connection has been made. Everything goes out. I click the power button. NOTHING HAPPENS.
I reset the comos thing, and unplug and plug my computer, play with the power button. Nothing is happening. No fans, no lights, no sounds, nothing. After another 15 minutes of vague, futile toying, I give up and goto bed.

In the morning I open up the power supply to find nothing unusual. Even the fuse is intact it seems. WTF.

Did I fry my motherboard, or my powersupply? Or both? Is there a way to check this out without inflicting more damage upon myself? Any clues what caused my floppy to make clicking noises?

Oh yeah... and this is ONE WEEK after I got this computer fully running. Please don't make me buy another mobo!

- Seth/Insane

jesh

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2003
i am so pity to u
have one way to find the problem.

1. bring ur mb and power supply to your friends house
2. check both with your friend's normal computer hardware one by one.

3. and i think..........actually u better buy new one loh

SethMoney

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2003
YAYY!!!

Hey since I'm apparently back in the market, I've got a PSU related question. Are all PSUs of a standard size? As in, will any atx compatable psu I buy fit into the case I currently own?

Also, I read somewhere, that if my mobo is fckt hooking up a power supply unit to it will just kill the power supply... Is this just a myth?
Cause I don't want to buy another powersupply just to have it crap out on me!

- Seth/Crazy

Newbie237

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2003
So yes all ATX PSU should fit in ATX cases, eventhough I saw a few cases where the 2nd fan (the one blowing inside the case) happened to be blocked or partially blocked by some parts of the case...
Anyway, yes if the MoBo is dead and create a shortcut (might happen!!), you will kill your PSU as well (might be the fuse or the whole PSU).

One way to check if the PSU is dead (and not the MoBo) is to buy a PSU tester, you can find those on newegg for about $13-$15. This will tell you if the PSU is working properly.

Hope that helps

---------------------
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
P4 3.0GHz HT
1Gb Corsair XMS PC3200LLPT
ATI A-i-W Radeon 9800 Pro
WD 200Gb SATA
Lite-on IDE Combo Drive
Win XP Pro SP1