Computer Lockups :(

bEeZm

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
Well, I am having problems with my system locking up a lot of times.
One thing it does sometimes is it will start to become "skippy" in a way and then everything locks up and then when I click again anywhere it makes a long beep noise, I have to hit the reset button.

here are my specs:
XP Pro OS
AMD Athlon XP 3000+ w/400FSB Proc.
DFI LanParty NFII Ultra (Rev. A) Mobo
OCZ 1024MB DDR400 (PC3200) Ram
DynaPower U.S.A 400watt PSU
ATI Radeon 9500 Pro GFX Card
WesternDigital 120GB 7200RPM HDD

Here are some more symptoms that I am having:
- When I run some games it just locks up, but doesn't beep
- Sometimes when I run DungeonSiege it reboots my computer for no aparrent reason
- Tonight I was just talking on AIM listening to winamp and had about 2 explorer windows open, and the computer suddenly rebooted on me (When this happened, the CPU temp seemed a little higer than normal, but nothing serious... 39 Cel. and 102 Fer.)

Normally when I reboot I have a temp. of about
32-35 Degrees Cel. according to the BIOS

So it isn't a heat problem I don't think.

I am really begginning to think that it is my PSU, i have sometimes when I turn on my computer my CD Drive has no power, and I have to re-reboot to get it to have power.
Do you think maybe my PSU is on the fritz? I did go cheap, I bought a $40 Dynapower USA 400watt PSU. Should I maybe get a nicer one such as a nice Enermax or Antec power supply?

Are there any other things that could possibly be causing this?

thnx.

---------------------------
<A HREF="http://www.beezm.net/" target="_new">bEeZm</A>
---------------------------

Newbie237

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2003
Yes it could either be PSU related (eventhough 400W should be enough) or DDR related.
Try only 1 memory slot see if that helps. If not try the other one (1 module at a time).
also check your memory settings (in the BIOS) and check your memory using Memtest (DOS based memory checker utility)

---------------------
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
P4 3.0GHz HT
1Gb Corsair XMS PC3200LLPT
ATI A-i-W Radeon 9800 Pro
WD 200Gb SATA
Lite-on IDE Combo Drive
Win XP Pro SP1

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A nicer unit would be Fortron Source. In order of quality from best to worst:

Fortron
Antec True Power
Enermax
Good generics
Antec non true power
poor generics

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>