Windows XP Home Edition - Check Disk

I have tried to run a disk check and as normal because this is being
performed on my C drive it will only do so on start up - that's fine and as
normal. But on start up the blue screen appears and displays the error
message 'Cannot open volume for direct access - windows has finished
checking' This suggests to me that the C drive is already in use before
check disk start and as it needs exclusive access it is unable to continue
with the check disk. What can I do?
1 answer Last reply
More about windows home edition check disk

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823439&Product=winxp
    Cannot open volume for direct access.

    More information:
    JSI Tip 7079_ You receive 'Cannot open volume for direct access'
    when Chkdsk runs during Windows XP startup
    http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBO/tip7000/rh7079.htm
    When you schedule the Chkdsk utility to run a startup, you receive an error similar
    to: Cannot open volume for direct access.

    Mark T wrote:
    > I have tried to run a disk check and as normal because this is being
    > performed on my C drive it will only do so on start up - that's fine
    > and as normal. But on start up the blue screen appears and displays
    > the error message 'Cannot open volume for direct access - windows has
    > finished checking' This suggests to me that the C drive is already
    > in use before check disk start and as it needs exclusive access it is
    > unable to continue with the check disk. What can I do?

Windows XP