Sign in with
Your question

System Instability - Power Supply dying?

Last response: in Components
December 9, 2003 6:17:35 AM

Hi,

First, my problem - System Instability in the form of:
1) Trouble booting AND
2) Trouble staying up for long periods (> 1 day)

The boot problems manifest themselves differently, sometimes POST errors, sometimes not. Sometimes can't find ntoskrnl. Usually it goes away and boots fine after 2 or three goes with a bit of a rest in between.

The uptime issue manifests itself when I leave the machine on and go to work/bed (same thing sometimes). When I return many hours later its hung and beeping quietly.

Second, my system details.
Epox 8KHA+, Athlon XP 1600+
2 x 256M Crucial, PC2100
1 x 80GB par. ATA HDD, 1 x 120G par. ATA HDD
Hercules Prophet nVidia GeForce3 Ti200
Pioneer DVR-A06 DVD burner
Samsung DVD ROM
Audigy Sound Card
ToPower 420W Power Supply
NOT OVERCLOCKED

The whole box is about 2.5 years old, no problems with it at all to date.

Initially I suspected the mobo, but recently I've started to think Power Supply. I've tried checking the voltages using Motherboard Monitor, but am having a couple of issues with a couple of the readings that I suspect are MBM bugs rather than voltage problems.

My readings are:
Core 0: 1.74V
+3.3V : 1.52V <- I think this is a MBM issue.
+5V : 4.87V
+12V : 12.16V
-12V : 2.28V <- Haven't investigated, but it can't be right surely!
-5V : 0.64

There are voltage readings in the BIOS too, but I'm not sure which ones correspond to above. VCore, +5V & +12V are obvious, the rest I'm not clear on. (Vagp, Vio, VDIMM, VBAT, 5VSB)

I know its hard to diagnose these things remotely, but could I possibly be on the right track thinking Power Supply? What else can I check to confirm?

Sorry for the long post, but any and all tips/advice much appreciated.

Andrew
December 10, 2003 12:43:33 PM

1. u may want to check the cpu temperauture
2. a new Fortron 350W is around £50 it should support it

I love my pc
but my pc hates me...
December 12, 2003 7:57:00 AM

CPU temp is fine. Normally it sits around 37, maxes out around 43-45.
I haven't spotted Fortron Power Supplies here yet (I'm in Australia), we do have Enermax though which seem to have a good name as well.
Related resources
December 13, 2003 10:56:13 AM

Enermax is great. I have great experience with their PSU.
December 22, 2003 3:27:33 PM

I had very similar problems as what you're describing about a year ago. Replaced my 350W PS with an Antec 430W and haven't had the problem since. I can't guarantee you have the same problem but it sure sounds like the one I had.
!