XP Pro reload after format won't allow SP2 install

I reformatted HD and reloaded XP Pro fresh because I have been unable install
SP2 from a CD or from the download. This is a DELL purchased through the
Indiana University student offer. SP2 gets to loading PERM2.SYS (permedia3
miniport driver) and can't find the file and will not continue. It aborts
the install and does the reversal back to SP1. Any ideas anyone? I'm
wondering if the hardware is hinky - compatibility issue? Thanks in advance.

Contact Dell.. they have patches that will allow the installation of SP2..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"C Bork" <CBork@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I reformatted HD and reloaded XP Pro fresh because I have been unable
>install
> SP2 from a CD or from the download. This is a DELL purchased through the
> Indiana University student offer. SP2 gets to loading PERM2.SYS
> (permedia3
> miniport driver) and can't find the file and will not continue. It aborts
> the install and does the reversal back to SP1. Any ideas anyone? I'm
> wondering if the hardware is hinky - compatibility issue? Thanks in
> advance.

You could try to create a CD with SP2 integrated.
Download SP2, copy all files on Windows XP CD to a folder (ex. c:\winxp),
extract SP2 files to another folder (ex. c:\winsp2), them run
c:\winsp2\i386\update\update.exe -S:c:\winxp
The command to extract the files on SP2 is -x.
After update the files, burn the cd and try to install.

"C Bork" <CBork@discussions.microsoft.com> escreveu na mensagem