Wireless print server (Centronics) recommendation

I have an old HP LJIII that I want to put on the network, without
attaching it to a PC.

Any recomendations for print servers with a parallel port?

I'm seeing the Motorola print server in a lot of places, i.e.
http://shentech.com/mowpprse80rj.html. Anyone have any experience with it?
4 answers Last reply
More about wireless print server centronics recommendation

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 03:56:15 GMT, SMS <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
    wrote:

    >I have an old HP LJIII that I want to put on the network, without
    >attaching it to a PC.

    Gaaag. I have about 5 of those piled in the office closet and a huge
    mess of HPII, III, and IIP parts. I used to repair those. You can
    keep them running forever but they sure are big, slow, and ugly.

    >Any recomendations for print servers with a parallel port?

    First, don't get a Jetdirect card for the HPIII. They were buggy
    pieces of junk that require a bootp server to run. Stay with the
    parallel port.

    I find it easier to do such things in two boxes. An ethernet print
    server and some wireless ethernet bridge client radio. The ethernet
    print server can be anything. I have a small pile of Digi/Milan print
    servers and Netgear PS104/PS110 print servers I use as needed. It
    really doesn't matter which print server you select as anything will
    work.

    The client bridge is a bit tricky. If all you want is to remote the
    one printer, then a WAP11, DWL900AP+ or similar single MAC address
    wireless bridge will work. However, I usually setup a client computer
    nearby and want to bridge more than one MAC address. That requires a
    wireless bridge that can do more than one MAC, such as WET11,
    WAP54G(?), or WRT54G with Sveasoft firmware running in client mode.
    Some game adapters will also work with multiple MAC addresses. You
    can also do the same thing with a WDS bridge (WRT54G) and get a
    wireless repeater function for free.

    For protocols, I use either direct print to an IP socket, LPD/LPR, or
    Netbios (Windoze) printing. Whatever is supported by the print
    server.

    Incidentally, one nice feature of some of the print servers in my pile
    is mutliple parallel or serial printer ports. You can run multiple
    printers from a single cable or wireless link.

    >I'm seeing the Motorola print server in a lot of places, i.e.
    >http://shentech.com/mowpprse80rj.html. Anyone have any experience with it?

    No experience, but the price, features, and specs look nice. If you
    have to buy something, it's probably cheaper to buy the Motorola box
    than to build it yourself.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
    AE6KS 831-336-2558

    SMS <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in

    > I have an old HP LJIII that I want to put on the network, without
    > attaching it to a PC.
    >
    > Any recomendations for print servers with a parallel port?

    I use the obsolete Intel NetportExpress print servers on my network.
    The latest (although some years old) is the NetportExpress 10/100.
    These have an Etherent port for network connection and come in two
    versions - a single parallel printer port, or 3 printer ports (2
    parallel, 1 serial).

    Utterly reliable - I've never had a single failure and have used
    these devices for many years. Works just fine under WinXP. You can
    pick then up cheaply on eBay.

    You can use them on a wireless network as well. Connect to a
    wireless-Ethernet bridge, or a multi-mode access point in Wireless
    Clinet or AP Client mode, and away you go. Most such current wireless
    devices aupport multiple MAC addresses, so you can connect multiple
    devices behind a switch. [Aside: My network is configured like this,
    with clusters of typically 2 PCs + printserver + wireless client
    bridge connected to a switch]

    Or of course you could pick up (again on eBay) a more recent LaserJet
    which takes a Jetdirect card...

    Hope this helps

    --

    Richard Perkin
    To email me, change the AT in the address below

    is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
    It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.

    Jeff Liebermann wrote:

    > No experience, but the price, features, and specs look nice. If you
    > have to buy something, it's probably cheaper to buy the Motorola box
    > than to build it yourself.

    Apparently the specs look better than reality, as WPA is advertised but
    absolutely does not work,
    "http://www.wifi-forum.com/wf/showthread.php?t=6694"

    Thanks for the detailed response. You should write a book on wireless
    networking.

    SMS wrote:
    > Jeff Liebermann wrote:
    >
    >> No experience, but the price, features, and specs look nice. If you
    >> have to buy something, it's probably cheaper to buy the Motorola box
    >> than to build it yourself.
    >

    > Apparently the specs look better than reality, as WPA is advertised but
    > absolutely does not work,
    > "http://www.wifi-forum.com/wf/showthread.php?t=6694"

    As far as I could find, the only standalone device that can serve as a
    parallel port print server, and supports WPA is the D-Link DI824VUP
    router, which is $130. So I guess that I will do it in two steps.

Wireless Hewlett Packard Servers Wireless Networking