Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows 7 upgrade help

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows 7
Share
October 4, 2010 11:33:22 PM

I was thinking about upgrading to windows 7 from XP. I have a corporate edition of XP from before they yanked the serial codes and made them invalid. I was just wondering if when installing 7, would it recognize that my copy of XP is not genuine? and if so, would it matter, considering I just bought a new OS?

After that problem is resolved, could anyone tell me if Windows 7 is a decent buy? Or is there not much of a difference between 7 and XP?

Any help's appreciated,
~Kirk

More about : windows upgrade

a b $ Windows 7
October 5, 2010 12:50:29 AM

So long as you have a genuine copy of W7, it won't really matter, as you'll have to do a clean install of it anyway, i.e. you cannot technically upgrade from XP to W7.
m
0
l
October 5, 2010 3:18:38 AM

buwish said:
So long as you have a genuine copy of W7, it won't really matter, as you'll have to do a clean install of it anyway, i.e. you cannot technically upgrade from XP to W7.


Is there anyway I could save my files without making a backup on a separate hard drive?
m
0
l
Related resources
October 5, 2010 3:33:56 AM

KirkR said:
Is there anyway I could save my files without making a backup on a separate hard drive?


I don't think there is a way to do this unless you have a separate partition on your hard drive that you can put the data files on. Even then you would be strongly advised to make a separate backup before upgrading.

As for XP vs. 7- 7 looks neater than XP, has a few new features and works better, but if XP is working for you then it is hard to justify spending the money to upgrade. I use XP at work and 7 at home. I switch back and forth without really having an opinion that one is better than the other.
m
0
l
October 5, 2010 3:39:57 AM

cadder said:
I don't think there is a way to do this unless you have a separate partition on your hard drive that you can put the data files on. Even then you would be strongly advised to make a separate backup before upgrading.

As for XP vs. 7- 7 looks neater than XP, has a few new features and works better, but if XP is working for you then it is hard to justify spending the money to upgrade. I use XP at work and 7 at home. I switch back and forth without really having an opinion that one is better than the other.


hmm... external hard drive? or would that not work? can External hard drive transfer data from OS to OS?

I've heard a lot about the features that come with 7 and I think this would be a good investment, if Microsoft isn't going to make another OS, and it's only $100, why not? I guess what I should've said, is there any more negatives in XP than 7, if there are any at all, because I haven't heard any bad news about 7 yet.


m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 5, 2010 7:24:43 AM

KirkR said:
hmm... external hard drive? or would that not work? can External hard drive transfer data from OS to OS?

I've heard a lot about the features that come with 7 and I think this would be a good investment, if Microsoft isn't going to make another OS, and it's only $100, why not? I guess what I should've said, is there any more negatives in XP than 7, if there are any at all, because I haven't heard any bad news about 7 yet.


My two cents:

Yes, I believe Windows 7 is a good investment. Since your XP is no longer licensed, 7 is the logical choice. I was a big fan of XP and used it for many years, but having made to move to 7 I can honestly say I won't go back. 7 is very quick, stable, easy to customise, and the hardware and driver support is much better than it ever was with XP.
Concerning the migration: you can use an external drive, but keep in mind that you cannot copy your applications and expect them to work. Save your documents, profile information, important files, etc so you can restore them later, but all applications will have to be re-installed.

Oh, and by the way, MS is already working on their next OS.. ;) 
m
0
l
October 5, 2010 10:15:28 PM

Herr_Koos said:
My two cents:

Yes, I believe Windows 7 is a good investment. Since your XP is no longer licensed, 7 is the logical choice. I was a big fan of XP and used it for many years, but having made to move to 7 I can honestly say I won't go back. 7 is very quick, stable, easy to customise, and the hardware and driver support is much better than it ever was with XP.
Concerning the migration: you can use an external drive, but keep in mind that you cannot copy your applications and expect them to work. Save your documents, profile information, important files, etc so you can restore them later, but all applications will have to be re-installed.

Oh, and by the way, MS is already working on their next OS.. ;) 


I had a feeling that was the case. I was really more concerned with saving all my music, loading up 11 gigs in CD's would take a while. I don't really use too many applications other than chrome and Sony Vegas.

...Windows 8? lol

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm really excited for Diablo 3 and Black Ops.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 6, 2010 8:13:25 AM

Yes, Windows 8. :-)
m
0
l
!