Spark_E

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2003
Recently I built the computer on which this post is being written. The specs are below. However I think the case came with a crappy PSU:

Once in a while after pushing the power button, my fans kick on, flicker then everything shutsdown. This is followed by the power supply being "locked" and I have to unplug it, wait for the system to discharge then plug it back in to try again.

Also when it would boot, my system monitor gave me a warning saying the -5V was in error, upon checking with MMB 5, it was standing at 3.55V. Now I read on some other posts that the -5V is no longer necessary and this I am unfamiliar with.

For a temporary solution I threw in an old Compaq PSU I stripped from a box and it works fine, yet I still recieve that -5V error. My money is on bad PSU for the boot problem, but what of this -5V deal? Mobo? PSU?

------------------------------
AOpen AK79D-1394
AMD 2700+
Kingston 512 MB PC3200
ATI A-i-W 9800
ATI A-i-W 32MB Radeon
Crappy PSU...
Win XP SP1, SuSE and Slackware

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Ahhhh... the not-so-lovely "decent case + dubious PSU" scenario.

Failing to cold boot is a classic PSU issue.
More 'juice' is needed at startup and if it cant do it a poor psu may tripout, needing time and a disconnection to reset.

As for MBM, when its first installed it makes a 'best guess' as to which voltage rail is what.
Doesnt allways get it right.

So by the looks of it the -5v rail is actually the 3.3v line, but slightly elivated at 3.55v

In the settings you can rename the sensor or manually go through the inputs untill you find the one u need.

But you are correct, the negative voltages are of little importance. They barely carry 1 amp in total and can often vary considerably without any stability issues.

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires
it and mortal men covet it, My Precioussssssss!
:evil:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

Spark_E

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2003
Yup, sure enough I just bought an Arrow 450W PSU and everything is dandy. Thanks for the input!

------------------------------
AOpen AK79D-1394
AMD 2700+
Kingston 512 MB PC3200
ATI A-i-W 9800
ATI A-i-W 32MB Radeon
No So Crappy PSU Anymore...
Win XP SP1, SuSE and Slackware