  • Backup
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
March 13, 2005 8:49:03 AM

I have 3 PC's in the house.........2 XP Pro, 1 XP Home.
The XP Home machine has no apparent Backup Utility.
The XP Pros have Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Backup.
This is a shortcut referring to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\NTBACKUP.EXE
There is no such directory in the XP Home machine.

Question:
Does XP Home have this functionality?
If so, how do you enable/access it?
If not, what is the easiest utility to use for backing up data in XP Home?
--
Thanks,
Chuck

More about : backup utility

Anonymous
March 13, 2005 9:56:36 AM

NTBackup is not installed with XP Home, but it's on the XP CD. Unless you
have an OEM CD. In that case read on.

HOW TO: Install Backup from the CD-ROM in Windows XP Home Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;302894

HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer
in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308422

How to Use the Backup Utility to Back Up Files and Folders in Windows XP
Home Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320820

NOTE: ASR (Automated System Restore) does not function and is not supported
on Windows XP Home edition.

An Error Message Is Displayed When You Attempt to Use the Automated System
Recovery Wizard
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;302700

How to use Backup to restore files and folders on your computer in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;309340

[[If you are using a computer that an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM)
provided with a pre-installed copy of Windows XP, the Valueadd and Support
folders may not exist on your hard disk or on the recovery CD-ROM that was
included with your computer.

This issue can occur because OEM computers that include a pre-installed copy
of Windows XP do not include a Windows XP CD-ROM, or the Valueadd and
Support folders. Instead, OEM computers typically include a restoration
CD-ROM, and this CD-ROM does not contain the Valueadd and Support folders.

Among others, some of the utilities in this folder are USMT Command line
components, NTBACKUP]]

VALUEADD and SUPPORT Folders Are Not Included on OEM CD-ROMs
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311246

You can download NTBackup here:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/ntbackup.msi

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:B4AEBA58-8165-4E0B-947E-9B5F1537DB6B@microsoft.com,
ChuckTheDuck <ChuckTheDuck@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I have 3 PC's in the house.........2 XP Pro, 1 XP Home.
> The XP Home machine has no apparent Backup Utility.
> The XP Pros have Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Backup.
> This is a shortcut referring to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\NTBACKUP.EXE
> There is no such directory in the XP Home machine.
>
> Question:
> Does XP Home have this functionality?
> If so, how do you enable/access it?
> If not, what is the easiest utility to use for backing up data in XP
> Home? --
> Thanks,
> Chuck
> --
> Thanks,
> Chuck
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 9:56:37 AM

OK........found the NTBACKUP from the dics:
E:\VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP
Put the backup utility in the same place it is on XP Pro......
BUT.......the readme.txt file from the disc has thrown me a curve.
It refers to ASR (I assume this is automated System Recovery?) and says XP
Home does not support this? So, does this affect the ability to restore
backed up data using the NTBACKUP Utility?
The readme.txt file is not real clear on this.

From the README.TXT File:
NTBackup Backup/Restore and ASR release notes
Backup/Restore
ASR
1. ASR is not supported on home edition.
IF you install NtBackup from the CD to the Home Edition, ASR functionality
will appear to work fine during
the backup session. Since the setup does not support ASR in the home
edition, there is no way to initiate the ASR restore in case of a disaster.
If you need to restore from this session, install Windows XP manually
and then restore from the ASR media.
2. Backup to CDRW
If you decide to backup to a CDRW, you cannot target that device directly.
You must create a backup set of
650MB or less and backup to a file. After the file is complete, copy the
file to the CDRW.

Please refer to the readme for XP home edition for additional notes.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> NTBackup is not installed with XP Home, but it's on the XP CD. Unless you
> have an OEM CD. In that case read on.
>
> HOW TO: Install Backup from the CD-ROM in Windows XP Home Edition
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;302894
>
> HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer
> in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308422
>
> How to Use the Backup Utility to Back Up Files and Folders in Windows XP
> Home Edition
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320820
>
> NOTE: ASR (Automated System Restore) does not function and is not supported
> on Windows XP Home edition.
>
> An Error Message Is Displayed When You Attempt to Use the Automated System
> Recovery Wizard
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;302700
>
> How to use Backup to restore files and folders on your computer in Windows
> XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;309340
>
> [[If you are using a computer that an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM)
> provided with a pre-installed copy of Windows XP, the Valueadd and Support
> folders may not exist on your hard disk or on the recovery CD-ROM that was
> included with your computer.
>
> This issue can occur because OEM computers that include a pre-installed copy
> of Windows XP do not include a Windows XP CD-ROM, or the Valueadd and
> Support folders. Instead, OEM computers typically include a restoration
> CD-ROM, and this CD-ROM does not contain the Valueadd and Support folders.
>
> Among others, some of the utilities in this folder are USMT Command line
> components, NTBACKUP]]
>
> VALUEADD and SUPPORT Folders Are Not Included on OEM CD-ROMs
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311246
>
> You can download NTBackup here:
> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/ntbackup.msi
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:B4AEBA58-8165-4E0B-947E-9B5F1537DB6B@microsoft.com,
> ChuckTheDuck <ChuckTheDuck@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I have 3 PC's in the house.........2 XP Pro, 1 XP Home.
> > The XP Home machine has no apparent Backup Utility.
> > The XP Pros have Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Backup.
> > This is a shortcut referring to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\NTBACKUP.EXE
> > There is no such directory in the XP Home machine.
> >
> > Question:
> > Does XP Home have this functionality?
> > If so, how do you enable/access it?
> > If not, what is the easiest utility to use for backing up data in XP
> > Home? --
> > Thanks,
> > Chuck
> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Chuck

Anonymous
March 13, 2005 12:26:09 PM

I do not use ntbackup. I backup manually to CD.

[[NOTE: ASR does not function and is not supported on Windows XP Home
edition.]]

An Error Message Is Displayed When You Attempt to Use the Automated System
Recovery Wizard
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;302700

-----
restore backed up data info here...

How to use Backup to restore files and folders on your computer in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;309340

Scroll down to...
MORE INFORMATION
How to restore files and folders
-----

Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315255

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes