Light cases vs heavy cases

Neo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2003
I need some input on heavy cases (stronger metal) vs light one. I was told heavy cases are quieter because they don't tend to "rattle" (comparing to light one) by moving components like PSU fan. Is it true? Is there any significant advantages on heavy cases over the light one? Assume the rest (like prices, manufactures) are similar.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Heavier cases tend to have a lower resonant frequency, usually well below that at which any of the moving parts oscilates (such as and imperfectly balanced fan). Yep, thicker cases isolate noise. Other advantage? You're less likely to damage them. Often you can use them as a stepping stool in a pinch, or at least a chair.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

CaptainNemo

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I agree - I built a system for someone using a fancy aluminium case (they insisted on it), but I prefer steel cases.

The panels on aluminium cases flex too much, and you have to be so precious with the pretty ones. I would rather have a cheap but solid case (AOpen H600 is a good one) which I can take lots of punishment without me caring.

"Some mice have two buttons. Macintosh has one. So it's extremely difficult to push the wrong button." - Apple ad. circa 1984.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I also forgot to add that heavier panels also tend to not only have a lower resonant frequency, but disapate resonant energy better (due to decreased flexability).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ImpPatience

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2003
So then would a thick aluminum case stop noise better than a thin steel? I guess what I'm asking is that is it the material that case is made out of that matters or is it just the thickness of the material that makes a difference?

<font color=blue><b>Purchase object A, install object A, curse object A, repeat...</b></font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Both matter. Aluminum has to be (experienced guess) around 50% thicker to offer similar resistance to harmonic vibration to steel.

Of course they could just make the panels curved...but the tension could cause them to "ring" at certain frequencies anyway.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
When I run out of chairs in my office, people sit on tower cases!