wanting to reformat hard drive

hi,

Trying to reformat hard drives as there is some corrupt software that I
can't remove on the hard drive. Have done it before a few times, but have
since had the computer up-graded by a friend.

The computer doesn't appear to be booting up from the start - up disk or
from a dos disk.

Could someone talk me through getting the computer to load up from the floppy.

Thanks,

Lisa
7 answers Last reply
More about wanting reformat hard drive

    The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
    to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
    Windows XP to partition and format your drive:

    NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
    devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.

    NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the
    EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main
    hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
    After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.

    1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".

    ===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    ===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
    3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
    4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
    Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
    partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.

    5. Clean Install Windows XP

    [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

    6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
    ==> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx

    7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
    and download the available "Critical Updates".

    8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
    of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
    available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
    and audio drivers.

    9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:

    How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

    Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Lisa" wrote:

    | hi,
    |
    | Trying to reformat hard drives as there is some corrupt software that I
    | can't remove on the hard drive. Have done it before a few times, but have
    | since had the computer up-graded by a friend.
    |
    | The computer doesn't appear to be booting up from the start - up disk or
    | from a dos disk.
    |
    | Could someone talk me through getting the computer to load up from the floppy.
    |
    | Thanks,
    |
    | Lisa

    Lisa

    I would suggest that you approach the friend who upgraded the machine.. XP
    does not essentially load from floppy, and somehow I doubt if you have any
    decent installation media and/or the knowledge to continue..

    This advice is given in your best interests, and is not intended to demean
    you in any way..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "lisa 1903" <lisa 1903@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > hi,
    >
    > Trying to reformat hard drives as there is some corrupt software that I
    > can't remove on the hard drive. Have done it before a few times, but have
    > since had the computer up-graded by a friend.
    >
    > The computer doesn't appear to be booting up from the start - up disk or
    > from a dos disk.
    >
    > Could someone talk me through getting the computer to load up from the
    > floppy.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Lisa

    Hi Mike,

    Thankyou for your prompt reply. I may not have the computer language, but
    as I have said previously,I have done this before (at least 5 times on other
    computers for friends), with my copy of Me and xp home upgrade. The problem
    that I'm having is that since the computer has been upgraded, I am unable to
    get the computer to acknowledge the ME start disk to commence formatting the
    drives.

    As it was 2130hrs when I discovered the problem, I thought that I would use
    this forum to help me, instead of disturbing a friend.

    Lisa

    "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Lisa
    >
    > I would suggest that you approach the friend who upgraded the machine.. XP
    > does not essentially load from floppy, and somehow I doubt if you have any
    > decent installation media and/or the knowledge to continue..
    >
    > This advice is given in your best interests, and is not intended to demean
    > you in any way..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "lisa 1903" <lisa 1903@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > hi,
    > >
    > > Trying to reformat hard drives as there is some corrupt software that I
    > > can't remove on the hard drive. Have done it before a few times, but have
    > > since had the computer up-graded by a friend.
    > >
    > > The computer doesn't appear to be booting up from the start - up disk or
    > > from a dos disk.
    > >
    > > Could someone talk me through getting the computer to load up from the
    > > floppy.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Lisa

    Lisa

    OK.. Here is a link to a very comprehensive website containing all of the
    information that you will need.. when the page opens, select whatever option
    from the menu on the left side..

    http://michaelstevenstech.com/

    Good luck..

    --

    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > Thankyou for your prompt reply. I may not have the computer language, but
    > as I have said previously,I have done this before (at least 5 times on
    > other
    > computers for friends), with my copy of Me and xp home upgrade. The
    > problem
    > that I'm having is that since the computer has been upgraded, I am unable
    > get the computer to acknowledge the ME start disk to commence formatting
    > the
    > drives.
    >
    > As it was 2130hrs when I discovered the problem, I thought that I would
    > use
    > this forum to help me, instead of disturbing a friend.
    >
    > Lisa
    >
    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Lisa
    >>
    >> I would suggest that you approach the friend who upgraded the machine..
    >> XP
    >> does not essentially load from floppy, and somehow I doubt if you have
    >> any
    >> decent installation media and/or the knowledge to continue..
    >>
    >> This advice is given in your best interests, and is not intended to
    >> demean
    >> you in any way..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >>
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> "lisa 1903" <lisa 1903@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > hi,
    >> >
    >> > Trying to reformat hard drives as there is some corrupt software that I
    >> > can't remove on the hard drive. Have done it before a few times, but
    >> > have
    >> > since had the computer up-graded by a friend.
    >> >
    >> > The computer doesn't appear to be booting up from the start - up disk
    >> > or
    >> > from a dos disk.
    >> >
    >> > Could someone talk me through getting the computer to load up from the
    >> > floppy.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> >
    >> > Lisa

    Hi Carey,

    Thankyou for your help with this problem. You'll be pleased to know that
    your instructions about going into the BIOS helped, and XP loaded up first
    time with no problems. We're up and running and raring to go.

    Once again, thankyou for believing that I could do it, and giving me the
    information that I needed.

    Lisa

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
    > to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
    > Windows XP to partition and format your drive:
    >
    > NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
    > devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.
    >
    > NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the
    > EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main
    > hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
    > After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.
    >
    > 1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".
    >
    > ===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    > ===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
    >
    > 2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
    > 3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
    > 4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
    > Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
    > partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.
    >
    > 5. Clean Install Windows XP
    > http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
    >
    > [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]
    >
    > 6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
    > ==> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    >
    > 7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
    > and download the available "Critical Updates".
    >
    > 8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
    > of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
    > available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
    > and audio drivers.
    >
    > 9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:
    >
    > How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_setup.htm
    >
    > [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    > "Lisa" wrote:
    >
    > | hi,
    > |
    > | Trying to reformat hard drives as there is some corrupt software that I
    > | can't remove on the hard drive. Have done it before a few times, but have
    > | since had the computer up-graded by a friend.
    > |
    > | The computer doesn't appear to be booting up from the start - up disk or
    > | from a dos disk.
    > |
    > | Could someone talk me through getting the computer to load up from the floppy.
    > |
    > | Thanks,
    > |
    > | Lisa

    Hi Mike,

    Just to let you know, that I have just re-installed XP without any problems.
    A bit of feedback for you, just because someone doesn't have the computer
    jargon language doesn't mean that they don't know what they are doing. If I
    was ever unsure of doing it, I ask for help and advice, and I thought that
    this site was for that purpose whether I be an IT person or not. Please can
    you take that into account and don't assume that we're all blonde (no offence
    to blondes meant)!!!

    Thanks,
    Lisa

    "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Lisa
    >
    > OK.. Here is a link to a very comprehensive website containing all of the
    > information that you will need.. when the page opens, select whatever option
    > from the menu on the left side..
    >
    > http://michaelstevenstech.com/
    >
    > Good luck..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "lisa 1903" <lisa1903@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi Mike,
    > >
    > > Thankyou for your prompt reply. I may not have the computer language, but
    > > as I have said previously,I have done this before (at least 5 times on
    > > other
    > > computers for friends), with my copy of Me and xp home upgrade. The
    > > problem
    > > that I'm having is that since the computer has been upgraded, I am unable
    > > get the computer to acknowledge the ME start disk to commence formatting
    > > the
    > > drives.
    > >
    > > As it was 2130hrs when I discovered the problem, I thought that I would
    > > use
    > > this forum to help me, instead of disturbing a friend.
    > >
    > > Lisa
    > >
    > > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Lisa
    > >>
    > >> I would suggest that you approach the friend who upgraded the machine..
    > >> XP
    > >> does not essentially load from floppy, and somehow I doubt if you have
    > >> any
    > >> decent installation media and/or the knowledge to continue..
    > >>
    > >> This advice is given in your best interests, and is not intended to
    > >> demean
    > >> you in any way..
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Mike Hall
    > >> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    > >>
    > >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >>

    > >> "lisa 1903" <lisa 1903@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Lisa

    You can quit it right now with the 'blonde' jive.. I have been blonde all of
    my life, and I have blue eyes too.. not 6'2" though.. :)

    Re. your feedback, I accept what you say, but 99% of people who misuse terms
    or don't know them anyway, are also not able to recover their computers too
    well.. you should stick around in these newsgroups.. you would see for
    yourself..

    Your initial post did tell me that you had installed OSes before, but the
    part "Have done it before a few times, but have since had the computer
    up-graded by a friend." suggested to me that your experience didn't extend
    to XP..

    Add to that "The computer doesn't appear to be booting up from the start -
    up disk or from a dos disk.", and my first thought was that yet another
    computer user had been left high and dry by a local computer 'expert'..

    I actually felt sympathy for you, but the subsequent slight on blondes has
    lost you more than a few 'brownie' points.. :)

    I am really pleased that you did OK.. way to go..

    --

    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > Just to let you know, that I have just re-installed XP without any
    > problems.
    > A bit of feedback for you, just because someone doesn't have the computer
    > jargon language doesn't mean that they don't know what they are doing. If
    > was ever unsure of doing it, I ask for help and advice, and I thought that
    > this site was for that purpose whether I be an IT person or not. Please
    > can
    > you take that into account and don't assume that we're all blonde (no
    > offence
    > to blondes meant)!!!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Lisa
    >
    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Lisa
    >>
    >> OK.. Here is a link to a very comprehensive website containing all of the
    >> information that you will need.. when the page opens, select whatever
    >> option
    >> from the menu on the left side..
    >>
    >> http://michaelstevenstech.com/
    >>
    >> Good luck..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >>
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> "lisa 1903" <lisa1903@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi Mike,
    >> >
    >> > Thankyou for your prompt reply. I may not have the computer language,
    >> > but
    >> > as I have said previously,I have done this before (at least 5 times on
    >> > other
    >> > computers for friends), with my copy of Me and xp home upgrade. The
    >> > problem
    >> > that I'm having is that since the computer has been upgraded, I am
    >> > unable
    >> > get the computer to acknowledge the ME start disk to commence
    >> > formatting
    >> > the
    >> > drives.
    >> >
    >> > As it was 2130hrs when I discovered the problem, I thought that I would
    >> > use
    >> > this forum to help me, instead of disturbing a friend.
    >> >
    >> > Lisa

Computers Hard Drives Windows XP