Sign in with
Your question

PS3 Shuts down Mid game.

Last response: in Video Games
December 24, 2011 9:04:14 AM

I ask this on behalf of my brother.

Basically, my brothers PS3 will turn off mid game and have no power lights on and seems to completely cut out. This leads me to believe there is some kind of power overload or the PS3 kills itself as a safety precaution which leads me on to my next point.
While playing it one day, he left it on, paused in a game for the whole day which could mean an overheating problem. After the PS3 shuts down, it feels very hot which is also a give away but I'm not sure how hot a PS3 gets to be honest.
Sometimes it will shut down minutes into turning it on, and other times it will take over half an hour. I have to unplug it and plug it back in to get it to turn on again.
Any ideas? Thanks

More about : ps3 shuts mid game

December 24, 2011 9:26:06 AM

The ps3 is probably bunged up with dust, have it cleaned if possible, if after cleaning it still does the same thing then it maybe suffering the YLOD problem.
December 24, 2011 9:29:48 AM

hairystuff said:
The ps3 is probably bunged up with dust, have it cleaned if possible, if after cleaning it still does the same thing then it maybe suffering the YLOD problem.

Is there an effective way i can clean it myself?
And there's never been the yellow light
Related resources
December 24, 2011 10:52:19 AM

you could open it up, but that might be risky if your not sure on how to do it the other idea is to use a compresser or canned air on the vents to blow the dust out.
December 24, 2011 12:37:13 PM

hairystuff said:
you could open it up, but that might be risky if your not sure on how to do it the other idea is to use a compresser or canned air on the vents to blow the dust out.

I don't want to risk opening it up so I'll try and blow through the vents. He's playing it now and it hasn't shut down for a while.. But it is quite hot.
Also, it seemed to lose power altogether when it wasn't even on which was strange
!