EQ2: How big is the game area?

I was just wondering how much more I have left to see in EQ2. I'm a lvl 18
predator and so far i've only really seen Antonica. I know my way around
there pretty well but I havent done hardly any of the higher level quests on
the map yet.

Apart from Antonica what other areas are there?

I know there is stormhold and some sort of ice type land, are there any
more? I realise that I havent even see freeport and the command lands but I
was just curious to know exactly how big the area is.

Are there some playing areas where even the highest level characters havent
reached yet?

I presume SOE will release expansion packs for EQ2, does anyone know what
form these take? I never played EQ1 but I read that had a lot of expansion
packs released for it. Did these add new areas to visit, or even change the
overall gameplay in any way?

Also does anyone know if you can get into Queynos main city or is this going
to be in a future expansion.

Basically i'm interested in how MMORPG games (EQ2) progress, having never
played one before.

Cheddar wrote:
> I was just wondering how much more I have left to see in EQ2. I'm a lvl 18
> predator and so far i've only really seen Antonica. I know my way around
> there pretty well but I havent done hardly any of the higher level quests on
> the map yet.
>
> Apart from Antonica what other areas are there?

http://www.gry-online.pl/eq2/index.asp should give you a good idea but
the jist is;

Everfrost
Lavastorm
Enchanted Lands
Zek
Feerott

Added to Antonica and Freeport's island which you also mentioned. All
these have numerous zones in the same way Antonica does.

> I presume SOE will release expansion packs for EQ2, does anyone know what
> form these take? I never played EQ1 but I read that had a lot of expansion
> packs released for it. Did these add new areas to visit, or even change the
> overall gameplay in any way?

They changed the gameplay drastically and added new game areas with each
one. Legacy of Ykesha even added a whole new race, and moved the home
city of another race elsewhere to make space for them. They also added
Kunark and Velious, other islands, the moon of Luclin (which you can see
in EQ2...it's the one that was destroyed and has the impressive rings
around it from the debris) and the Planes of Power, along with the Lost
Dungeons.

Like I said the gameplay was drastically changed. Lots of little things
(which eventually added up to changing pretty much everything) but the
one I always remember is the Plane of Knowledge, which added a quick
portal system from almost every zone (not just land, like the Mariner's
Bells in EQ2 do, but zone) which cut down travel times to seconds.

> Also does anyone know if you can get into Queynos main city or is this going
> to be in a future expansion.

How do you mean, Qeynos main city? That is full accessible as far as I
know, although I believe you can't enter the castle yet. Qeynos consists
of the suburbs, then North, South and the Docks, much as it did in EQ1.

--
Michael Greenhalgh
---

EverQuest 2:
Miglok | Half-Elf Predator | Lavastorm

City of Heroes:
Shadow Ranger | Mutation Scrapper | Virtue
---

Someone

>Basically i'm interested in how MMORPG games (EQ2) progress, having never
>played one before.

Well all I can tell you that once you are done all the quests, have
made a lvl umpty ump adventurer and craftsman. Whats left is what the
game is really about. The interaction between other player.

I wish you luck in exploring the world and hope you enjoy MMORP's as
the intereaction with others is a blast. :)

In article <hvkzd.14969$V96.13721@fe20.usenetserver.com>, Cheddar wrote:
> I presume SOE will release expansion packs for EQ2, does anyone know what
> form these take? I never played EQ1 but I read that had a lot of expansion
> packs released for it. Did these add new areas to visit, or even change
> the overall gameplay in any way?

In EQ1, here's basically what the expansions did (from memory, so might have
some details wrong):

1. Kunark. Added a new continent. Raised the level cap from 50 to 60.
Added a new race. Added new spells and items.

If you did not purchase the expansion, you could still use the new spells
and items, if you could get someone to go get them for you. I don't recall
for sure, but I believe you could not level past 50 unless you had the
expansion. Note that many good items are no drop quest rewards, and so some
of the Kunark items were only available to people who actually went there,
which required getting the expansion.

2. Velious. Similar to Kunark, but no new races and did not raise the level
cap.

3. Luclin. Similar to Kunark, but added a new class in addition to a new
race. I don't recall if people without the expansion could play that new
class. Also added the Bazaar, which made a huge gameplay difference, as it
basically killed trading anywhere else. (I don't recall when the level cap
went to 65...I think that was Planes of Power, but maybe it was Luclin).

(Somewhere in here...I don't recall where...they added alternate
advancement, basically a way to earn points that could be spent on special
abilities. At high level, these were very important).

4. Ykesha. Besides the usual new lands, and a new race (I *think* this was
the one that made Frogloks a playable race...), added an in-game mapping
system, and more bank slots. (This pissed off a fair number of people,
including me, who think that expansions should not change gameplay, and if
they do change gameplay, should only do so in the expansion areas).

I think it was LoY that added better guild management tools, too.

5. Planes of Power. I think this raised the level cap to 65. Added new
areas. Added the Plane of Knowledge, which had free two-way ports to nearly
every city and the Nexus, making it so people with this expansion could
travel much much much better than those without, so even if you had no
interest in the new areas (and they were for level 60+, so a lot of people
had no interest in them), this was an essential expansion for most people.

This also added "raid groups". Even if your guild wasn't anywhere near
ready to do Planes of Power zones, there was a lot of pressure to get the
expansion for this.

6. Lost Dungeons of Norrath. Added instanced dungeons and basically a
mission system that used them, with a point system based on accomplishing
the missions. The points could be spent for items from special merchants.

I stopped playing around this time, so didn't pay a lot of attention to the
expansions that followed, but I think they continue in the same general way.
Somewhere in there the level cap rose again, to 70, I believe.

--
--Tim Smith

EverQuest (aka EverQuest Live) release dates, taken from IGN:

Original game:
EverQuest 28-Feb 1999

Expansions:
Ruins of Kunark 31-Mar 2000
Scars of Velious 04-Dec 2000
Shadows of Luclin 02-Dec 2001
Planes of Power 28-Oct 2002
Legacy of Ykesha 04-Mar 2003
Lost Dungeons of Norrath 08-Sep 2003
Gates of Discord 09-Feb 2004
Omens of War 13-Sep 2004

Best regards,

Tim ==

(substitute 'tcsys.com' for 'nospam.co.uk')
_________________

Seeq Endestroi
Paladin of Mithanial Marr, The Rathe
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=507035

Grave Wisdom / Grave Intentions (a Rathe guild)
http://www.gravewisdom.com

Visit the Surrender Dorothy web ! (http://dorothyrocks.com)
Visit the Crunch Monkey web ! (http://crunchmonkey.com)

"Cheddar" <me@there.net> wrote in message

Pretty much off topic but if you want a LOT of landscape, try EQ. The folks
in Antonica were debating this the other night, but EQ2 simply isn't as big
as EQ was at its release (and EQ has subsequently added a lot more room).

I'm not saying EQ is better by any means, but it's certainly larger. Sony
made some DEFINITE improvements in EQ2 that many will think more than makes
up for the fact that it only takes about 10 mins (ok, didn't time it...might
be 7 or might be 15) to run across the zone (less time than West Karanas in
EQ, I'm betting). I'm going to guess that Commonlands is the same. In EQ
it takes about 45 minutes to run from one end of the game to the other (much
longer if you take the boats...assuming they're back in the game this week
:) ).

> How do you mean, Qeynos main city? That is full accessible as far as
> know, although I believe you can't enter the castle yet. Qeynos
consists
> of the suburbs, then North, South and the Docks, much as it did in
EQ1.

But there are places that are suspiciously closed off; doors that have
no real purpose; market stalls with no traders present; traders that
sell naught but a torch etc. I suspect they are placeholders for
expansion packs.

And then there's the mystery of why the frog character still locked
out.

Patrik

"BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> writes:

> > How do you mean, Qeynos main city? That is full accessible as far
> > as I know, although I believe you can't enter the castle
> > yet. Qeynos consists of the suburbs, then North, South and the
> > Docks, much as it did in EQ1.
>
> But there are places that are suspiciously closed off; doors that have
> no real purpose; market stalls with no traders present; traders that
> sell naught but a torch etc. I suspect they are placeholders for
> expansion packs.

The traders that sell only a torch are likely the status merchants -
unless you are in a guild and have enough status points (for some of
them "enough" is, I think, in the hundreds of thousands), all you'll
see is a torch.

The doors may well acquire a purpose later on - for most of the beta
there was only one tradeskill instance per district, then when they
added more, previously unused doors were used for the entrances.