text file configuration of wireless access points

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a wireless access point to sit between an ADSL modem
and my laptop running Debian. I'd like to find one that easily allows
me to download its complete configuration state to a text file, which I
can subsequently modify and then upload without fuss (via ssh, ftp?).
Any recommendations?

Many thanks,
-James

> me to download its complete configuration state to a text file, which I
> can subsequently modify and then upload without fuss (via ssh, ftp?).
> Any recommendations?

I have a feeling in the back of my mind that some of the linksys and
dlink ones do that i've used in the past.

Have to ask, why though? There's not much you'd want to change once it
set up and there's not much to change if you've just got the one laptop
behind it.

David.

James.Leifer@inria.fr wrote in

> I'm looking to buy a wireless access point to sit between an ADSL
> modem and my laptop running Debian. I'd like to find one that
> easily allows me to download its complete configuration state to a
> text file, which I can subsequently modify and then upload without
> fuss (via ssh, ftp?). Any recommendations?

The D-Link T-series products (DSL-G604T, DSL-504T etc) can write out
a config backup file structured as XML.

The T stands for TI and the products are based on the TI AR7 single
chip communications processor, and run MontaVista Linux + the BusyBox
toolset/shell on the AR7's embedded MIPS cpu.

There are several other brands of product based on this processor -
Netgear DG834, Actiontec GT704 etc and their wirless variants. I
understand that they use a similar if not identical scheme.

Apart from editing and (re)loading the .xml config file, it is also
possible to Telnet in as root and execute a script. It's also
possible to load executable code via tftp onto one of the mtd
'devices' and run that. The boot monitor/debugger is also an FTP
server...

I'm sure that a combination of these techniques would allow you to
achieve your requirement. As the model number of the D-Link products
implies, each of them has an inbuilt ADSL modem - which may not be
what you want. On the other hand, it may allow you to do away with
the external modem...

Hope this helps

--

Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.